Virtual Machines

How can we improve Azure Virtual Machines?

(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Fix the incorrect IP's assigned to VM's

It appears new VM's are bing assigned IP's that are geolocated or identified in the wrong regions. In the most recent case, a US-East VM is being detected as coming from Brazil.

IP's should be selectable/changeable from the Admin Portal.

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Microsoft
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. problems creating a virtual ubuntu machine

i cant set up a virtual machine using ubuntu on azure. It askes me for a "SSH AUTHENTICATION KEY" every time ??? Icreated one on my windows pc and pasted the public key in there. But azure says that it's not valid. it took me 2 hours... and i don't know how to solve that problem. There is no help on azure. So what do i need to do?

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

under review  ·  5 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Add more VM size options

The new A5, A6 are great but too expensive. I need something in between. I need a 4 core 14gb option. In addition, the prices you charge for more RAM seem steep. High end 16GB DIMMS cost $250., you basically charge that PER MONTH for the privilege of getting more RAM. It just seems out of whack.

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks, Aaron. We will take a look at this. Do the BASIC sizes allow you to have a bit more flexibility in the pricing?

4. SQL Server 2012 Web on Windows Server 2012 R2

Is anyone looking at it at all? Support guys forward here and looks for weeks no body even looks this.

In a week time we have to finalize between Amazon and Azure,

Amazon offers more combination then Azure for Windows VMs !!! Isn't this an irony?

Also default SQL Server already installs Data folder in C Drive, well this requires uninstalling and reinstalling SQL, because C drive uses caching which is not supposed to be used by SQL as recommended by MSDN and leaving master, tempdb all on C drive?

Instead why not offer SQL Installer without installation on Windows…

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Bring Citrix onboard Azure, Citrix is on AWS already

As a Citrix Service Provider we need cloud computing platforms to host our customer's environments. We need to be able to host standalone and multitenented environments. Hurry up as AWS is already ahead and they already have many Citrix partners and businesses running their Citrix infrastructure on AWS. Don't miss this boat MS.

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Show machines still incurre in charges in list view. Stopped <> ShutDown'ed

In list view Machine can be 'Stopped' but is still charging $$$. If you click on one Machine then you can see if it is still using resources

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

under review  ·  0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. 5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

under review  ·  1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Dynamic Memory - pay for what you use

On premise we use Dynamic RAM on Hyper-V. It would be useful if the same applied for Virtual Machines on azure and we pay based on the amount of RAM used.

This makes choosing the VM size easier and makes things more cost effective over a period of time.

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

This is tricky to offer given some of the bin-packing needs of offering a public cloud service. We will continue to investigate the possibility of doing something like this.

9. Can we have a way to get the log file when VM failed to boot up ?

I found it is very difficult to find out what happen without a log file when vm fail to boot up.
    I spend a lot of time only to figure out what I had changed since last time I make it boot up.

You can log the virtual console to a file that we can click a button to get it.

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Linux  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

This is great feedback. Let us dig into what this would entail to pull out these logs as part of our logging system.

10. Upgrade OS

You should be able to back up your files and data to a storage account and then upgrade your Windows Server OS to the latest version/edition.

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Windows  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for the feedback. This has a relatively high test cost and given we have the newest OS version available, we haven’t heard much interest in this.

Please up-vote this and we will consider it.

Corey

11. Granular CPU and Memory Proivisioning

Allow the customer to add CPUs and RAM incrementally, so they aren't bound by the predetmined sizes Microsoft thinks is best.

Hyper-V allows this.
    VMware allows this.

It seems reasonable that Azure should allow this as well.

Obviously the billing model would have to be adjusted to add up the per-vCPU and per-GB-vRAM (per minutes) pricing.

Isn't this one patently obvious?

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for the feedback, Nick. This is good feedback and would require some complex billing models. Let us look at it.

12. Develop VM images, server types (i.e. high CPU core #), specifically for CPU cryptocurrency mining.

The mining software could be compiled and set up and updated for the most popular CPU cryptocurrencies (e.g., HeavyCoin HVC, Primecoin XPM, Riecoin RIC, etc.). The VM images could be developed for ease-of-use for non Linux savvy users who are interested in delving into crypto mining. There are many profitable services who sell Bitcoin or Litecoin cloud mining services, so Windows Azure could develop a line of CPU mining services to make it easy, since the infrastructure is already in place.

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. Offer spot requests, similar to AWS

This is a significant advantage in the AWS offering. Using EC2 spot requests my effective price is much lower than in Azure.

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. Make contacting support easier

Azure clearly has some serious bugs. But the current process of contacting support to report these bugs sucks. We're supposed to sign up for a support subscription to tell you that your software is broken. Seriously?!?! Worse still, Microsoft is breaching their SLA's as a result. I can't wait for the class action lawsuit against Microsoft Azure.

I'd love to see a real support process that would enable regular paying users can report problems.

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Windows  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. Change teh terminology of Shutdown vs Shutdown (deallocate)

I think the terminology of shutting down a VM from the Portal is confusing. At this point it looks like if I do a Shutdown it actually deallocates the VM and I lose the IP address. Can we not have a differentiation between shutting down the VM and actually deallocating the VM? Not sure if that makes sense but what I want is a way to shut down the VM from the admin portal without losing the IP address. Also even after I shutdown the VM from the within the VM the status still says running instead of Shutdown. This…

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. RDP which works also with Mac OS X

I tried many Mac RDP clients but none of them could connect to the Azure instances, maybe because of the special load balancer settings within the azure RDP file.

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Windows  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. can't add tcp port

Unable to add TCP Port. After entering details it just closes without adding the port forwarding. It works fine in old portal.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

under review  ·  0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. Failover Cluster support besides SQL AlwaysOn

It would be great for failover clustering to be supported with Azure VMs as it would allow my customers to migrate all their thinkable on-premises workloads to Azure. Move to an Azure-only environment is being asked more frequently.
    Shared VHDX and a way to get a valid cluster IP address seems to be key for this to get operational.
    It would be a perfect in combination with availability sets for e.g. file server clusters, SQL failover clusters, custom application clusters

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Windows  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. 4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Linux  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. Preconfigured SharePoint demo template

SharePoint 2013 preconfigured Demo environment-template for demo like the Information worker VHD for SP 2010.
    Main features:
    * Content with metadata etc.
    * Users

Pherhaps templateify the one you could create at https://www.microsoftofficedemos.com/
    for creation in azure.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

under review  ·  2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  • Don't see your idea?

Virtual Machines

Feedback and Knowledge Base