Virtual Machines

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. add the ability to use preconfigure iso images like Amazon in VM role

Give the ability in VM role to use a preconfigure iso image, like the one Amazon has available.It will make easier to use and work with the VM role

27 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Microsoft
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. 26 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. OpenBSD Virtual Machine

I would love to see an OpenBSD virtual machine, we use OpenBSD along side windows and would be interested in moving our entire cloud services to you if there was an OpenBSD virtual machine

25 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Dynamics CRM images on Azure

The Sharepoint Farm deployment on Azure is a great capability. Having a similar capability for Dynamics CRM (on-premises) is going to be a huge win. There is already the Dynamics CRM online offering, however this doesn't satisfy most of the use case scenarios and having the one click CRM instance deployment capability would be a huge leap

22 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Ensure Virtual Machine GenerationID does not change over a Shut Down and Start pair of operations

Microsoft invented the VM GenerationID as a means of determining when an important VM transition event has occured. As per Microsoft's paper on the subject, the GenerationID of a guest should not change on restart or migrate operations. This works fine directly on Hyper-V, but an Azure managed VM will see a GenerationID change when the VM is Shut Down then Started (as two separate operations, a single 'Restart' operation does not change the GenerationID). Incidentally, the virtual SMBIOS UUID also changes during this operation, which is wrong too (SMBIOS UUID should change only on a clone operation).
    I imagine…

22 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. rename objects (affinity group, service bus, etc)

I hate how some types of objects can't be renamed.

Please let me rename things like Affinity Groups.

18 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

under review  ·  0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Make it possible to download a compressed (zip?) vhd instead of the full vhd

Make it possible to download a compressed (zip?) vhd instead of the full vhd. Now I have to download the whole vhd and not just the bits that are actually used.

18 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Windows  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We are thinking of enabling an easy way to download a dynamic VHD to reduce the download size, if that helps? Unfortunately, I don’t think VHD files compress that well.

8. Integrate VM Windows Updates with Availability Sets

I would like to turn on automatic updates for our Windows virtual machines running on Azure but we can't because they are not integrated with Availability Sets. That is, I cannot guarantee that another node won't be down (being moved by Azure, etc) when Automatic Updates kicks in.

Even as it is, when we manually install updates, there's nothing preventing Azure from taking down the other nodes in the Availability Set, because Azure does publish its maintenance window.

I would like to be able to let the Azure service control and install Windows / Microsoft updates with respect to Availability…

17 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. Add Hyper-V Replica for offsite backup

Allow us to send Replicas offsite for DR in case Azure goes down. Customers are not trusting cloud initiatives enough to move fully into the cloud without having an offsite backup.

16 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Granular Information about Azure Maintenance

Last week, I received a notification regarding Azure Maintenance that is scheduled starting 1st August - I have attached it here. The notification said "WestUS - First Half", "WestUS-Second Half" and so on. But currently, there seems to be no way of checking in which "Half" is our deployment. If this information is available on the portal in our subscription, it will help to identify when and how our services are going to be affected.

15 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

thanks for the feedback. I am hoping that this is the last maintenance (after we go through all the regions) that will be split in half like this.

11. Real Checkpoints - not VM Images

Checkpoints, as they are in Hyper-V and NOT VM Images as announced at Teched and already in production.

VM Images are not really the solution:

1. Amazon stores only the bits that have changed since the last snapshot, not again the whole machine.
    If a have a server with TBs of data and checkpoint the virtual machine, why should I have to pay for the storage twice?
    2. For a quick restore of the checkpoint, we would have to deploy the VM Image - no real solution in relation to how normal Hyper-V checkpoints work.

14 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Windows  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. share disks between Virtual Machines

It would be nice a way to attach the same disk to multiple virtual machines. There are some products that need to write information in disk. To enable availability you add more virtual machines, but the product won't replicate information. To solve this, an easy way would be point Vm's to write and share the same disk.

14 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. Provide a Notes section for virtual machine

It would be nice if we could have a Notes section on each virtual machine so that we note some comments on a machine (domain name, admin account, date of last backup...

14 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We have considered this. I wonder whether a simple Key-Value tagging would meet your needs here? This is something in our plans.

14. Provide a simple portal where organisations can allow their employees to request VMs on their subscription at the click of a button

Azure is intimidating to non-technical people, but the potential for organisations to use it to host their employees computers is huge. They would no longer have to worry about buying hardware for their employees, dealing with it's depreciation or end of life disposal. At the same time, employees could then request a powerful VM from this Lite Portal in one click of a button for their work from their tablet, phone or laptop without needing to worry about the technical or financial complexity that currently exists with getting a VM on Azure.

14 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Can you share a few more details on what you are thinking about here? Just a more simple version of the portal?

Corey

15. enable azure active directory as a domain controller for IaaS virtual machines.

Today for IaaS setup in Azure we need to deploy dedicated machines for Active Directory to get domain functionality. Can you enable IaaS VMs join to a Azure AD tenant within the same subscription ?

13 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. Green Computing Option

Allow me to pay a little more to host my data/services on machines that are powered by renewable energy.

13 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

This is a very interesting idea and one I like a lot! Let me dig into whether this is something we could consider in the future. Thanks for the idea! :)

17. Ability to manage virtual machine images and disks

I cannot find my virtual machine images and detached disks. I'm forced to switch into the old portal to delete old VHDs

11 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

under review  ·  2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. Improvements on the Azure Internal Load Balancer

The Azure Internal Load Balancer doesn't provide feedback as to the status of the endpoints - for example if a HTTP probe has been configured there is not way to determine if the probe is actually working.

Additionally VMs behind the Azure ILB need to be able to talk to the IP address for the Azure ILB. Not having this has led to us having to add entries to a VM's hosts file - not ideal.

10 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Allow shutdown from VM to deallocated state

Allow regular shutdown inside VM to go always to Stopped(deallocated) state. This could be a flag set per VM just like static IP. Or it could be even default in Azure, why there is the Stopped state anyway?

10 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Microsoft Endpoint Protection for Azure (Antivirus) Management Service as a Service

It's great that we now can deploy the "System Center Endpoint Protection" client directly during provisioning using the new VM extensions, but we are still missing a management tool for managing policies and monitoring. Microsoft should provide the Microsoft Endpoint Protection antivirus product as a service or independent product that doesn't rely on System Center licensing model.

Many customers doesn't want to maintain complex infrastructures like System Center Configuration Manager or System Center Operations Manager. The requirement of System Center Advisor to have the integration with OpsMgr to get the benefits of the Security Intelligence Packs is great for System…

10 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

Virtual Machines

Categories

Feedback and Knowledge Base