Virtual Machines

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Shrink Managed disk

I'd like the ability to shrink a managed disk.

I'm creating a managed image from a marketplace windows server base, installing a bunch of third party software and using DevTest labs and VSTS to automate the build of a base image that I use for a large number of VM deployments.

The managed disks created from my image are 128gb of which I use about 40gb. I'd like to shrink the managed disk used in the image to 64gb so the VMs I deploy from my image fit in the S6 managed disk pricing bracket.

103 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Microsoft
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Support upgrading existing Azure VM with Windows Server 2012 R2 to Windows Server 2016

How do I go about upgrading existing Azure VM with Windows Server 2012 R2 to Windows Server 2016? It seems like a big issue for many companies for adopting Windows Server 2016 in Microsoft Azure.

"Microsoft server software support for Microsoft Azure virtual machines" article still states "Microsoft does not support an upgrade of the operating system of a Microsoft Azure virtual machine. Instead, you should create a new Azure virtual machine that is running the supported version of the operating system that is required and then migrate the workload."

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/2721672/microsoft-server-software-support-for-microsoft-azure-virtual-machines

Please support this scenario. Thanks

116 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6 comments  ·  Windows  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Ability to Hibernate VMs to support DevTest workflos

The new DevTest Azure portal feature has the ability to turn off VMs on a schedule to support dev/testing without breaking the budget. It would be nice if the VMs could be hibernated instead so that developers would not lose their development sessions/window settings etc. when they start off in the morning. But I understand that the ability to hibernate VMs in Azure is not currently a core feature that exists. It would be very nice if that feature could be added. I'm sure there are other use cases where VM hibernation could be very handy too.

144 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

21 comments  ·  Windows  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Allow Azure Subscription owner to define the recommended virtual maskine sizes.

It would med great, if a Azure Subscription owner could define the recommended virtual maskine sizes. We now recommend using Dv2 mashines as the default.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Save action should not block navigation

On some resources when you choose Save after making a configuration change on a resource, the blade must be left open until the Save action completes and you cannot navigate else where without getting an warning that changes will be lost. For example, adding a data disk to a VM takes sometimes 1-2 minutes so I have to wait. What I end up doing is opening another tab in the browser to continue working. All Saves should be immediate and allow you to navigate away immediately. Most time this is true, but some actions require you to wait.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6. I am not at all sure what a free trial covers. I wanted to try A4 with Hortonworks Sandbox 2.3. What is my cost?

Please make clear what a free trial covers. Can I try A4 with Hortonworks Sandbox 2.3?

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Thanks for the feedback. You’re right in pointing out that some of the features and restrictions of the free trial offer are not clearly presented. We will look into improving this.

For your particular scenario, I don’t think you can provision a Hortonworks Sandbox because it is a third party product available through the Azure Marketplace. Free trial credits cannot to my knowledge be applied towards marketplace items.

As for the cost, if you were on a Pay-As-You-Go plan, you would pay an estimated $262 USD a month for full time use on the basic tier. This information is provided before you provision such a VM when using portal.azure.com

I hope that helped,

Adam
    -Azure Billing Team

7. RDP through browser

RDP through browser http
    Mostly RDP ports or blocked in enterprise networks. Launching rdp client is therefor not usefull. However doing RDP over http like teamviewer enables rdp in these situations.

9 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

under review  ·  3 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Show machines still incurre in charges in list view. Stopped <> ShutDown'ed

In list view Machine can be 'Stopped' but is still charging $$$. If you click on one Machine then you can see if it is still using resources

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

under review  ·  0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Stop asking me to confirm every step of creating new virtual machine

Imagine a website where you try to register and enter your details. Now imagine that website asking you if the entered name is correct. Now imagine that website asking you to confirm the name or you'll lose your changes. Now type in last name. Try typing in email. Now imagine that website asking you to confirm your last name or changes will be lost.

I'm talking about new azure dashboard new virtual machine creation. Going through this setup and having to click OK or SAVE after every submenu really drained all energy I had.

Please hire User Experience experts. (And…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. UI to change the VM type (An, Dn, etc) is not intuitive to find

It took me quite a while to figure out how to change a VM's type from one type to another, e.g. from D12 to D3. I finally just started guessing that some things were clickable and happened to try clicking on the current type. Not intuitive at all.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. Azure VM should support Hardware acceleration by GPU for some intelligent video systems

Intelligent video systems need process a large number of frames real-time,Hardware acceleration is a very usefull feature of the system to enhance product competitiveness.Azure should allow a part of users can use real GPU feature~We are very interested to move our applications onto the Azure,but currently,some of our company products can't work on the Azure VM because of the feature lost...

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. 3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

under review  ·  2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. 5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

under review  ·  1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. Cost of VM use must depend on real processor load.

Month cost of A3 with 4 virtual cores and 7GB RAM equal to month cost of 2x6 core Intel Xeon 2630V2 processor and 32GB RAM 2x1T HDD and 13T traffic limit. It's toooo expensive use Azure for demo or development purpose VMs where processor is not fully loaded all the time. But with dynamic billing can change situation.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. Provide sorting & additional options to the "All Settings" blade for managing VMs

This is kinda two requests in one, but it would be really nice for the following settings to be made to this blade: Browse All->Virtual Machines->My VM->All Settings

1. Alphabetically sort the "All Settings" blade
    2. Add in options to manage the Alerts, Monitoring, Pricing Tier blades that are only accessible via the primary Virtual Machine blade (I know this seems redundant, but for whatever reason, my brain really really really wants to find those options in the All Settings area.)

Thanks in advance!

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. Azure Website with GPU accelerated hardware (i.e. Tesla Series with CUDA)

I have website with CUDA rendering that uses Nvidia Tesla with TCC mode that can use CUDA device in Windows service. Please add such VM image for Azure?

8 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

under review  ·  0 comments  ·  Windows  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. Display power status (on/off) on the server pinned to "Home" page

Could you make a symbol on the servers pinned to the "Home" page that will display if the server is on or off? Now you need to go into each server to check if its on or not. I like the Portal btw

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. Improvements on the Azure Internal Load Balancer

The Azure Internal Load Balancer doesn't provide feedback as to the status of the endpoints - for example if a HTTP probe has been configured there is not way to determine if the probe is actually working.

Additionally VMs behind the Azure ILB need to be able to talk to the IP address for the Azure ILB. Not having this has led to us having to add entries to a VM's hosts file - not ideal.

10 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Add the possibility to virtualize a Windows Phone 8.1 in Azure

I allready now that is "imposible" to do an virtualization inside another one using Hyper-V....
    Instead you shoud offer the possibility to do it in a First Intance and offer some kind o RDP to the phone such as the extinguish Nokia RDA

Regards,

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Allow to create VM without starting it immediatelly

Sometimes I want to create VM and immediatelly set additional configuration like attachng additional disk, set static IP via powersell. Today when I create it I need to wait for it to be provisioned/started, then shutdown it and wait and finally I can do some additional settings. Also when recreating deleted VMs which had previously attached disks (SQL server, domain controller) it first starts with disks missing which can even break stuff. Please add additional checkbox/flag to portal/powershell when creating VM so that it is not started/provisioned immediatelly.

38 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

← Previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8
  • Don't see your idea?

Virtual Machines

Categories

Feedback and Knowledge Base