Update: Microsoft will be moving away from UserVoice sites on a product-by-product basis throughout the 2021 calendar year. We will leverage 1st party solutions for customer feedback. Learn more here.

Virtual Machines

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. 4 votes

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Linux  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. win2003

Allow legacy win2003 servers to execute in Azure

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Windows  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Found a bug creating VM's in Azure

When creating new Virtual Machines from Gallery (Standard Windows 2012 R2 Datacenter)
    On Page 3 there is a problem attaching the new VM's to a Virtual Network.

But if I change the Cloud service (DDL) to an existing Cloud service, the Network information is displayed. After that I can change it back to auto generate a new Cloud Service. But keep my Virtual Network configuration.

It would be nice if the Virtual Network where visible from the beginning when creating many virtual machines in a network.

See screendumps that is attached.

Best regards,
    Tobias Jonsson

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

4. Preconfigured SharePoint demo template

SharePoint 2013 preconfigured Demo environment-template for demo like the Information worker VHD for SP 2010.
    Main features:
    * Content with metadata etc.
    * Users

Pherhaps templateify the one you could create at https://www.microsoftofficedemos.com/
    for creation in azure.

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

under review  ·  2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. add the ability to create a VM and install an OS (Linux/Windows) from an .ISO

It would be great to be able to stand up a VM w/ my hardware requirements and mount an .iso of the OS that I want to install. This is how Hyper V and vCenter works. We would upload the OS .ISO to a datastore, give the new VM access to the indicated datastore, and use the .ISO that is on the datastore as a bootable OS.

This way we could install custom linux OS's or other versions of windows (e.g. server 2008 R2 Standard x64)

65 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. BUG: Creating a Linux VM with SSH certificate from portal fails

I'm trying to create a Linux virtual machine (Ubuntu 14.04 LTS, 7/25/2014 release) in a virtual network. Whenever I specify an SSH certificate instead of a password, I keep getting an error that the machine creation failed. The certificate upload succeeds, however.
    This has happened in the past as well, but I didn't worry about it then since I was focused on a PaaS deployment. Please fix this! If it's a matter of some required settings combination not being met, please highlight that in the UI.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Linux  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Virtual Machine with Visual Studio & SQL Express on it

I love the idea of developing in the cloud and as a developer who is just gettting started I would like to have an image that has Visual Studio Express on it along with SQL Express. This would allow me to quickly get going, get money then buy a MSDN :-)

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

8. Dynamics CRM images on Azure

The Sharepoint Farm deployment on Azure is a great capability. Having a similar capability for Dynamics CRM (on-premises) is going to be a huge win. There is already the Dynamics CRM online offering, however this doesn't satisfy most of the use case scenarios and having the one click CRM instance deployment capability would be a huge leap

22 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Partner with Dell and HP to create Azure/Cloud datacenters to help sell and integrate on-site Dell and HP Windows based servers

Partner with Dell and HP to create Azure/Cloud datacenters to help sell and integrate on-site Dell and HP Windows based servers with Azure Cloud.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

10. Upgrade OS

You should be able to back up your files and data to a storage account and then upgrade your Windows Server OS to the latest version/edition.

5 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Windows  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for the feedback. This has a relatively high test cost and given we have the newest OS version available, we haven’t heard much interest in this.

Please up-vote this and we will consider it.

Corey

11. Support OLAP

Azure really ought to support an OLAP service. HDInsight/Hadoop are, well, OK, I guess, for offline reporting on distributed datasets, but they're a heck of a long ways from the ease-of-use, speed, and realtime analysis that you get with OLAP and MDX.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

12. 9 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Linux  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for the feedback. If folks could vote on this to help determine whether this is a common environment required for PHP development.

13. Do not truncate VM warning messages, or add alerts/message to Virtual Machine page

If a VM is stopped but not shut down, a message is displayed at the top of the Virtual Machine details page. Due to text size, this message may be truncated (mine informed me "You're still being billed for compute and time resources even though this virtual machine is...").

It should be possible to view the full text of this message somewhere. Either by making the message more intelligent, or by adding a warnings/messages log somewhere.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

14. virtual machine shows stopped not deallocated

The preview of virtual machines only shows them as stopped. Nothing says if the VMs are deallocated that I can see. From a charging point of view the statuses should be the same as the original portal.

8 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. Stopped vs Stopped (deallocated)

Today VMs can be in a stopped or stopped(deallocated) state. This is an important distinction for billing purposes as the stopped state continues to bill for resources and stopped (deallocated) does not. Needless to say this is confusing because the portal (old version) has a "Shutdown" command that puts the VM in the Stopped(deallocated) state but if you "shutdown" from within the VM it is just in a Stopped state.

PLEASE MAKE THIS DISTINCTION MORE CLEAR!! :-)

The new portal for managing VM only shows my stopped (deallocated) VMS as just Stopped. This is totally confusing.

Thanks!!!!

32 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

10 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. Bug: Failed to delete the virtual machine.

I had two VMs in a Cloud Service named DC1 and DC2

I deleted DC1 and then tried to delete DC2, each time checking the "Disks" box for items to also delete.

DC1 deleted successfully, and DC2 errored with this message:
    Failed to delete the virtual machine.

That's it. I guessed it's because DC2 was the last VM in the Cloud Service.

The second time I tried to delete the VM, I noticed the Cloud Service was also selectable in the "other items to delete" check boxes.

This time the delete was successful, and I had a second notice for…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Windows Images with different languages

It would be great to have pre-built Windows images in different languages for testing software on foreign Windows systems.

10 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Windows  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. Provide a simple portal where organisations can allow their employees to request VMs on their subscription at the click of a button

Azure is intimidating to non-technical people, but the potential for organisations to use it to host their employees computers is huge. They would no longer have to worry about buying hardware for their employees, dealing with it's depreciation or end of life disposal. At the same time, employees could then request a powerful VM from this Lite Portal in one click of a button for their work from their tablet, phone or laptop without needing to worry about the technical or financial complexity that currently exists with getting a VM on Azure.

14 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Can you share a few more details on what you are thinking about here? Just a more simple version of the portal?

Corey

19. enable azure active directory as a domain controller for IaaS virtual machines.

Today for IaaS setup in Azure we need to deploy dedicated machines for Active Directory to get domain functionality. Can you enable IaaS VMs join to a Azure AD tenant within the same subscription ?

13 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. support glassfish server for Java Developers + good documentation for java

I'm a java developer using glassfish as a application server, so to use azure cloud for java applications glassfish is mandatory because it is one of the few servers Java EE 7 certified.
    comparing to Google App Engine Java documentaion, Azure Java Docs is very poor.
    Thanks

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

I would love more details on the type of documentation you would like to see to improve Java usage on the platform!! We are always looking to improve Java usage and this would help a lot.

• Don't see your idea?

Virtual Machines

Categories

Feedback and Knowledge Base