Virtual Machines

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Additional monitoring points for Virtual Machines

I would like to be able to monitor and setup notifications for problems such as low disk space on virtual machines. This is particularly important for machines that were created when the C drive was only 30GB.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Microsoft
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Integrate VM Windows Updates with Availability Sets

I would like to turn on automatic updates for our Windows virtual machines running on Azure but we can't because they are not integrated with Availability Sets. That is, I cannot guarantee that another node won't be down (being moved by Azure, etc) when Automatic Updates kicks in.

Even as it is, when we manually install updates, there's nothing preventing Azure from taking down the other nodes in the Availability Set, because Azure does publish its maintenance window.

I would like to be able to let the Azure service control and install Windows / Microsoft updates with respect to Availability…

17 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Create a new patched instance and auto swap instead of bringing down single instance production deployments

When running a single instance every so often the instance will go down for patching. The instance appears as "VM Stopped" for a period of time, then comes back.

Rather than forcing downtime to a production role, why not spin up a patched version of the instance then swap it in for the unpatched instance, and delete the old one?

MS documentation already points out the instances can be created and destroyed at any time, so we've already created our apps in a way that can handle such scenarios. Applying the patches this way will save the downtime (we've observed…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

One complexity here is because these instances are persistent, creating a snapped copy might be tricky or impossible.

Is this something that could be enabled with Auto-Scale?

4. Provide single VM instance RDS capability

Standalone RDS (RemoteApp and VDI) is only available for Windows Server 2008 R2 and not for Windows Server 2012. Server 2012 requires active directory and also will not allow it to be installed on the same VM as RDS. Please provide the capability to run all services needed for RDS on a single Windows Server 2012 VM.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Windows  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Flexible instance size

Right now, I can't increase only memory amount.
    If I want more, I need to switch from Small Instance to Medium Instance (for example).

But there are cases that I just want more memory, let's say from 1.75GB to 3GB. It will be nice if I could attach more memory, in a way close to the "attach disk to VM".

31 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Upload VHDX

A support for uploading VHDX images would be great. With that it wouldn't be necessary anymore to migrate a VHDX to VHD before.

338 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

24 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

The status of this item has been moved back to Under Review. We initially planned to move to VHDX support as part of our support for HyperV Gen2 VMs, but we ended up using the VHD format for Gen2 VMs as well. Some aspects of the Azure Infrastructure do not cleanly support VHDX OS or data disks. So this feature is dependent on some of these internal services being updated which is an ongoing process.

7. Support configuring the MAC address of virtual NICs

I have a very specific deployment scenario where controlling the MAC address of virtual NICs is a requirement.

Please allow me to either specify a range of MAC addresses for a subnet, or the MAC address of a specific NIC, just like I can in Windows Server Hyper-V.

Thanks!

9 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Bring Citrix onboard Azure, Citrix is on AWS already

As a Citrix Service Provider we need cloud computing platforms to host our customer's environments. We need to be able to host standalone and multitenented environments. Hurry up as AWS is already ahead and they already have many Citrix partners and businesses running their Citrix infrastructure on AWS. Don't miss this boat MS.

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. Virtual machine console access

There is no VMConnect capability for console access to the VM as there is with Hyper-V.

So in the situation where I lost connectivity, by misconfiguration, or system failure, is there only one very time and bandwith consuming way to fix it - download the VHDs on-premise, boot it in Hyper-V and VMConnect to repair VM, then upload all GBs back to the Azure...

I requesting console access, also with ability to mount some image for repair and boot from it (as we do it in standard environment).

1,999 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

274 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for the valid suggestion. Your feedback is now open for the user community to upvote which allows us to effectively prioritize your request against our existing feature list and also gives us insight into the potential impact of implementing the suggested feature

10. Allow multiple concurrent users in the VM and allow printing from local printer using RDP

I am looking to use the Azure VM as a desktop machine, where I have installed a Windows application, and allow concurrent users to RDP into the VM. This way I can have my customers use my company's program on the VM as a SaaS. Currently I can only have two concurrent users (even if I change the configuration of "limit number of connections" to "99999" there is still no change. The only way to do this is to add the "Remote Desktop Services" role and feature.
    I also think that the Azure VM should be able to access the…

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. specify which local ip to give to my vm when I create or attach it.

Specify which local ip to give to my vm when I create or attach it. This way I can specify a series of dns servers and then actually have servers to apply those addresses to. This is also helpful when migrating servers since it will then maintain its addressing structure.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. RDP which works also with Mac OS X

I tried many Mac RDP clients but none of them could connect to the Azure instances, maybe because of the special load balancer settings within the azure RDP file.

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Windows  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. Provide indication of OS type when viewing Virtual Machine list and instance details.

Provide an icon or some other visual indicator of the type of operating system the Virtual Machine instance is running. This would be helpful on both the page listing all VMs, as well in the 'quick glance' section when viewing a specific VM.

9 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. Allow VMS to be added or removed from a cloud service after they are created.

I'd like to be able to move my VMS in and out of a cloud service.

The cloud service is a load balancer as far as I'm concerned.

I want to be able to manage my VMS separate from it but get the benefit of load balancing in front of my applications.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. VM machine should contain software library folder so time for downloading and installing will be reduce.

Comparing with Cloudshare.com
    1. VM there are very less preconfigured VM's are available.
    2. They provide the access through browser good one for mobile device users.
    3. Share the own machine drives for data sharing with RDP VM machine should be included.
    4. Deployment of Non Microsoft (MySql and PHP) website need to make easy with tool tips and tutorials.
    5. Overall Good Speed in VM machine with best BCP support.
    6. Thanking you for providing preview to test the environment .

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. All cloud service/role instances and VMs should have a thumbnail screenshot

One of the differences between VMs and physical machines is that you cannot see what's going on when RDP doesn't work, for example when the machine has locked up or when it is booting.

It would be great to be able to get a screenshot of the current state, a bit like in HyperV server.

This would help us diagnose problems.

For example, the other day I was worried that one of my VMs was taking ages to boot up. It turns out it was doing a Windows Update before RDP was available.

If I could see a screenshot, I…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

This is a very interesting, it would be a cool way to see the current state of each of the resources that you have.

17. Provide UI tooling for VM upload

It is fairly difficult and complicated the number of steps needed for uploading a VM/VHD to azure. We really need a UI tool. Perhaps now that Win8 has Hyper-V built in there could be a button in the Hyper-V GUI to upload the VM/VHD straight to Azure in a nicely integrated wizard way.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Add Hyper-V Replica for offsite backup

Allow us to send Replicas offsite for DR in case Azure goes down. Customers are not trusting cloud initiatives enough to move fully into the cloud without having an offsite backup.

16 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. Allow Virtual Machine's to be provisioned by providing a URL to a .OVA file

Virtual Machine's could be provisioned by providing a URL to .OVA file or other VM file formats.

33 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. implement a REST API call to be able to delete a virtual machine using its public/private ip

this will make the infrastructure one step closer to a real IaaS environment.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

Virtual Machines

Categories

Feedback and Knowledge Base