Virtual Machines

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Time of Scheculed Maintenance for Windows Azure VMs.

I'm posting this on behalf of my customer who contacted us for a scheduled maintenance which was supposed to affect single instance deployments of Windows Azure Virtual Machines which Microsoft scheduled on December 6, 2013 at 1500 hrs EST US. First of all, Friday, 1500 hrs is not at all off hours when any maintenance should be scheduled. Considering that this is Holiday season and there are 100s of 1000s online websites/businesses which are at their peak time of the year, no one can afford any downtime during this time. Customer contacted Microsoft for rescheduling it to first week of…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Microsoft
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

I really appreciate the feedback and agree we need to continue to make improvements in our planned maintenance progress.

2. Difficulty deleting Disks

When I deleted a VM with out deleting the disks the disks can not be deleted later.
    It allows neither to attach them nor delete them.
    This is the error we get
    There is currently a lease on the blob and no lease ID was specified in the request.

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Make contacting support easier

Azure clearly has some serious bugs. But the current process of contacting support to report these bugs sucks. We're supposed to sign up for a support subscription to tell you that your software is broken. Seriously?!?! Worse still, Microsoft is breaching their SLA's as a result. I can't wait for the class action lawsuit against Microsoft Azure.

I'd love to see a real support process that would enable regular paying users can report problems.

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Windows  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. RDP into virtual machines within portal

Allow me to remote into a virtual machine from within the portal, from any browser or client.

9 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

under review  ·  1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Templates in a location should get that regional time setting. Not the US. There are other time zones!

Templates in a location (eg. Hong Kong) should get that regional time setting. Not the US. There are other time zones!

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks, Aaron. You can pass into PowerShell and REST the timezone you want your VM deployed as. I think the feedback to do this via the portal is also good.

6. SQL Server 2012 Web on Windows Server 2012 R2

Is anyone looking at it at all? Support guys forward here and looks for weeks no body even looks this.

In a week time we have to finalize between Amazon and Azure,

Amazon offers more combination then Azure for Windows VMs !!! Isn't this an irony?

Also default SQL Server already installs Data folder in C Drive, well this requires uninstalling and reinstalling SQL, because C drive uses caching which is not supposed to be used by SQL as recommended by MSDN and leaving master, tempdb all on C drive?

Instead why not offer SQL Installer without installation on Windows…

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Create SQL Cluster VMs

I went to test SQL High Availability or Always On, it is too complicated to setup all. If there is a Wizard which will straight install SQL cluster up and running with multiple VMs sharing same storage and datacenter would be helpful.

If there are pre configured services like,

1. SQL Cluster (number of nodes)
    2. SQL Replicated VMs, First Primary, Second Merge Replicator or whatever. We can choose number of replicators.
    3. Setup two VMs or more with Mirroring, Replication, Logshipping etc, all configured once and up and running.
    4. Auto log backup SQL to Azure Storage every 15…

9 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Windows  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Get performance log data by API, currentry displayed in portal

performance log data ( CPU usage, network IO, disk IO ) API
    original data of graph displayed in portal ,

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Linux  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Provide a way to backup/download VM VHD

As a user, I have setup my ubuntu VM from gallery. Configured it as per need. But now I would like to download copy of .VHD to save it as backup and also try changes locally first

9 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Linux  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Change teh terminology of Shutdown vs Shutdown (deallocate)

I think the terminology of shutting down a VM from the Portal is confusing. At this point it looks like if I do a Shutdown it actually deallocates the VM and I lose the IP address. Can we not have a differentiation between shutting down the VM and actually deallocating the VM? Not sure if that makes sense but what I want is a way to shut down the VM from the admin portal without losing the IP address. Also even after I shutdown the VM from the within the VM the status still says running instead of Shutdown. This…

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. Virtual Machines Disks view must show disk size

In Virtual Machines when you switch to Disks view, it’s very useful to show each disk size! I mean a new column with this important information.
    Please, this is a simple information, but helps a lot.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Windows  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. Virtual Machines Disks view must show disk size

In Virtual Machines when you switch to Disks view, it’s very useful to show each disk size! I mean a new column with this important information.
    Please, this is a simple information, but helps a lot.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Windows  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. Need much better upload speed

A deal breaker seems to be slow upload speed of large data (ca. <200 kB/s from Finland). Our application requires bulk transfer of large (100s GBs) data sets. Our Internet connections normally to most sites report 1000-1500 kB/s speeds).
    Import/Export device service doesn't seem to be available in Europe and seems to be a laborius option.

9 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Windows  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. A "sleep" state of VM which is cost wise similar to stop state. The VM wakes up and continues the previous session without rebooting OS.

It is a great feature of Azure to stop costs if the VM is stopped. But shutdown the VM needs close all the running programs and applications in the current session. It will be great if the VM can have a sleep mode which can stop all the costs (or partially). So users can quickly resume the work in the new session without restarting the VM.

224 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

21 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. Kazumi HIROSE

Subscription japanese name.
    Subscription directory filter has Garbage chars.
    Please see attach file.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. Production / Staging VM

Provide a way to group VMs into production / staging environment. Somehow like the production / staging environments of cloud services.

289 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. Improve the way VHD files are visually associated with VMs in Management Portal

Every Virtual Machine is associated to a VHD, but when we have multiple Virtual Machines in the same subscription, it becomes extremely difficult to identify the VHD linked to a particular Virtual Machine in the subscription.

Personally, I will add more information on storage item to correctly and sharply inform the user. I will also set filters on the UI to list only VHD storage items already used by VM (stopped and/or running)

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Allow resize of attached VHD-disks

Right now you cannot resize your VHD-disks once attached to a VM directly from the portal. Edit should be possible to at least increase the size of VHD-disks on demand.

195 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8 comments  ·  Windows  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. Additional monitoring points for Virtual Machines

I would like to be able to monitor and setup notifications for problems such as low disk space on virtual machines. This is particularly important for machines that were created when the C drive was only 30GB.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Integrate VM Windows Updates with Availability Sets

I would like to turn on automatic updates for our Windows virtual machines running on Azure but we can't because they are not integrated with Availability Sets. That is, I cannot guarantee that another node won't be down (being moved by Azure, etc) when Automatic Updates kicks in.

Even as it is, when we manually install updates, there's nothing preventing Azure from taking down the other nodes in the Availability Set, because Azure does publish its maintenance window.

I would like to be able to let the Azure service control and install Windows / Microsoft updates with respect to Availability…

17 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  • Don't see your idea?

Virtual Machines

Categories

Feedback and Knowledge Base