Virtual Machines

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Fix link on error message for server not stopped on capture VM

In a VM on the Azure portal, click Capture on a non-stopped vm. Click the down arrow to expand the message. Click learn more link. Link heads to a generic microsoft.com page rather than an article.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Microsoft
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Estimated monthly Fees Visible on VMs from gallery

When creating a VM from Gallery it mentions that they are special configurations and additional fees apply, but it does nto tell you which fees. Make it easier to see what fees may actually apply.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3. I can't launch A8 Type in San Antonio Region.

I had try four times in different time.
    But I still can't launch A8 type VM.
    Could you check out that?

Thanks

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Linux  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for the feedback. Right now, San Antonio does not support the A8/A9 sizes. We are constantly looking to increase our size options in the regions but right now, this isn’t available there.

4. ***** down on bots and exploits

My SSH server has been attacked twice in the past 24 hours by two different Azure hosts. Please do more than promise people that you'll look into people using your services for abusing other servers.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5. Enable to manage your own endpoint list.

Allow to manage (add/edit/change endpoints) to the default presented endpoint list. Example I from time to time need to enable special endpoints times in a repetitive manner. this will allow save my settings in the cloud and avoid me to keep a record of the settings I use.

A option to reset to default will be also handy.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Windows  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Ability to move resources

Some examples:

1) You set up something (e.g. SQL, VM, storage, CDN, etc.) in a region because a feature wasn't available in another region. Then it becomes available, and you are stuck in the old region because moving things requires lots of manual work, copies, DNS changes, etc., if at all possible. It would be great to allow to simply "change region", and Azure does everything needed behind the scenes. Of course you pay for the bandwidth, but the operation could be transparent.

2) You set up a VM, and you forget to put it in an affinity group. Shouldn't…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7. Ensure Virtual Machine GenerationID does not change over a Shut Down and Start pair of operations

Microsoft invented the VM GenerationID as a means of determining when an important VM transition event has occured. As per Microsoft's paper on the subject, the GenerationID of a guest should not change on restart or migrate operations. This works fine directly on Hyper-V, but an Azure managed VM will see a GenerationID change when the VM is Shut Down then Started (as two separate operations, a single 'Restart' operation does not change the GenerationID). Incidentally, the virtual SMBIOS UUID also changes during this operation, which is wrong too (SMBIOS UUID should change only on a clone operation).
    I imagine…

22 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Microsoft Antimalware for Azure Needs a GUI for Monitoring and Management

I have been researching the Microsoft Antimalware for Azure which is currently in preview. I think that the idea behind this product is fantastic. There was a real gap in the market for customers who want to run VMs on Microsoft Azure. So I am glad to see that Microsoft is offering a service which addresses the need to protect Azure VMs from viruses.

Unfortunately, the current release of Microsoft Antimalware for Azure is extremely difficult to deploy, configure, and manage. The main reason for this is the lack of any UI for the administrator or end user. To do…

26 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Portal option to "Add/Remove from load balancer"

Please allow a portal user to pick an instance and remove it immediately from the load balancer.

This can be helpful in a production environment when you want to take an instance out of use so you can perform an upgrade or perform diagnostics on it.

Currently you'd need to edit an endpoint monitor to return a non-200 response.

The ability to then finish your maintenance work and then "Re-add to load balancer" would be necessary.

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hey Andrew,

You can do this today using the probes from within the VMs. I suspect you want to do it directly from the portal in the same way as the probes, yes?

Corey

10. virtual machines column showing user that created

when you create a virtual machine and then revisit mgmt. portal view you have no idea who created that virtual machine, and on what date.

for team shared azure subscriptions this is really important as users don't want to have to bury this kind of information into virtual machine names.

we need it so we can track down who has an a8/a9 virtual machine that's been left running for the past week, or who has a stuck one that needs to be deleted.

we also need the last started/stopped date column view so we can determine if something basically hasn't…

9 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Windows  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Once we have more AAD integration into the creation and management of VMs, this will be possible. Stay tuned as we dig in here.

11. 1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Linux  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Please share more details on what was hard and what didn’t work!! We are VERY passionate to make this better. Please help us. :)

Corey

12. Granular CPU and Memory Proivisioning

Allow the customer to add CPUs and RAM incrementally, so they aren't bound by the predetmined sizes Microsoft thinks is best.

Hyper-V allows this.
    VMware allows this.

It seems reasonable that Azure should allow this as well.

Obviously the billing model would have to be adjusted to add up the per-vCPU and per-GB-vRAM (per minutes) pricing.

Isn't this one patently obvious?

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for the feedback, Nick. This is good feedback and would require some complex billing models. Let us look at it.

13. Reduce cloud costs with Shared virtual cores for Developers and Testers

In Azure the smaller configurations of Virtual Machines (either Windows or Linux) are:

Extra Small (A0) 1 Virtual Core shared 768 MB RAM
    Small (A1) 1 Virtual Core 1.75 GB RAM
    Medium (A2) 2 Virtual Cores 3.5 GB RAM

You can note that Extra-Small is the only configuration with shared virtual core.

Due to SQLServer requires a minimum of 1 GB of RAM, "Extra Small" has no enought size for running IIS and SQL Server.

The "shared virtual core" option is less expensive because you pay ONLY when your VM is consuming cycles of CPU (in other words, when App…

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. acl order bug

the endpoint acl rules display with a wrong order number, if i use rest api or powershell to change the order number of some rules, it will still display the old number~~

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Windows  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. Fix the incorrect IP's assigned to VM's

It appears new VM's are bing assigned IP's that are geolocated or identified in the wrong regions. In the most recent case, a US-East VM is being detected as coming from Brazil.

IP's should be selectable/changeable from the Admin Portal.

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. How about the dynamic port mapping details

If a socket connection not active in more than 4 minutes, why the port mapping clear in windows azure vms

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Tiered compute power, analogous to current RAM tiers.

Azure workloads are not all memory limited, nor can every job be easily refactored into a hadoop-like task. Based on current tests, it appears that the available processors are a great deal slower than personal budget laptops for various tasks.

Offering a blend of CPU/Memory options, or even a load balancer selection that uses auto-scale out based on compute bound or memory bound tasks would be a game changer.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Oracle Database VM for BizSpark Subscribers

I want to ask that if it Oracle Database VM is not for Biz Spark subscribers then why it is displaying in our VM list?
    Do you think that it is a good practice that first you give option to your customers to create oracle DB VM then ask him to delete that VM ignoring that he have some saved work in that VM.
    I think this is your system bug.

Thanks

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Don't send me Virtual Machine Maintenance emails if I don't have any VM deployments

The virtual machine maintenance window emails are annoying and I guess it is sent to every single Azure customer. I'm just a blob storage user and should not be receiving those emails.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. 26 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)