Virtual Machines

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. WSUS as a Service in Windows Azure

Microsoft needs to develop a WSUS as a service in Microsoft Azure with support for update domain in Azure. Perhaps it should be linked together with the System Center Advisor.

250 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Microsoft
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

21 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Create a step by step guide on which order to create cloud server, VPN, and VMs

There must be an order you create site-to-site VPNs, cloud services and virtual machines. I have not found a clear step by step document on this. (I guess I could write it.... :) It is clear you must create the VPN first. How do I move resources around? Can I move resources between cloud services? etc....

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Set Locale on creating VM

Most people in the world do not use en-US as their locale which means the passwords they create on their own machine do not function as expected when on the VM as the VM interprets the keyboard layout into en-US. Even en-GB has problems where the @ is created using a different shift-key combination.

31 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. 4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Windows  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Custom language for virtual machines

I want to have Windows Server 2012 in german because when I create a Server to convince someone to switch to the new version for Windows Server it is much easier to explain when the virtual machine is in our own language. I tried many things like creating my own local virtual machine with a german image in Hyper-V, sysprep it and upload it but this didn't work. So it would be very cool to choose your own language in the "Create" process. Beacuse the images are already available in the MSDN.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Templates for Virtual Machines

I hate it to create a new virtual machine in the new azure portal. It takes too long to open every blade and then open another blade, close this blade and so on... So I would like to go to a resource group "Add Virtual Machine" and things like Networking and Storage are already configured. You can already choose between some resources like Website, SQL Database and Windows Server 2012 but I would like to create a custom virtual machine for example with Windows 8.1.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Microsoft Software Reactivation after VM shut down and restart

Currently any Microsoft software installed on an Azure VM does not support retail activation because everyday if the VM is shut down from portal, then restart, the software require re-activation. (Unless we have setup KMS which takes quite an effort for support), please fix this so that Azure will be a better platform to choose from compare to other similar cloud services (i.e. A - W - S, etc.)

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

What software are you having difficulties with? Office retail (like Word, PowerPoint) is not support to run inside Azure VMs, which might be your problem.

corey

8. Add Dedicated Instances

Amazon AWS has the option to have Dedicated Instances for an increased charge, which means your VMs run on single tenant hardware instead of being shared with other Amazon customers. I suggest that Microsoft needs to add this feature to Azure. We have customers demanding that our service be run in an environment not shared by others. Here is the link to the Amazon offering for comparison purposes.

http://aws.amazon.com/ec2/purchasing-options/dedicated-instances/

49 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. VM logs

Currently, there are no logs of operations such as create VM, joining the VM to domain, enabling remote PS on VM, failure to run/create VM etc. Azure should work on making of the VM logs better in IAAS subscriptions.

13 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. Scheduled start/stops of VMs

Add a feature to Azure that allows the user to schedule a VM to start and/or stop at a certain date and time. This feature should be similar to a scheduled task in Windows.

If it's possible to do this with a scheduled task and some PowerShell scripts/cmdlets, let me know. But I do not think that would be as optimal as having this feature built into Azure because Azure frequently takes 15 minutes to allocate hardware to a VM before starting it up.

Ideally, an Azure management portal interface would allow the user to pick a time to start…

42 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. rename vm

Add the ability to rename a VM. The VM name is what appears in Azure, not the DNS name.

Changing a VM's name should not affect the VM in any way. If you need a unique identifier for a VM that does not change, I suggest using a GUID rather than the VM's name in Azure.

714 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

99 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. Stop charging for VM's that have never been logged on to

Stop charging for VM's that have never been logged on to. I'll be closing my account because of this.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Hey Jeff,

I am sorry to hear about the problem here. Can you explain a bit more about what happened? You created a VM and then did not log in and got charged?

Corey

13. Fix link on error message for server not stopped on capture VM

In a VM on the Azure portal, click Capture on a non-stopped vm. Click the down arrow to expand the message. Click learn more link. Link heads to a generic microsoft.com page rather than an article.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. Estimated monthly Fees Visible on VMs from gallery

When creating a VM from Gallery it mentions that they are special configurations and additional fees apply, but it does nto tell you which fees. Make it easier to see what fees may actually apply.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. I can't launch A8 Type in San Antonio Region.

I had try four times in different time.
    But I still can't launch A8 type VM.
    Could you check out that?

Thanks

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Linux  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for the feedback. Right now, San Antonio does not support the A8/A9 sizes. We are constantly looking to increase our size options in the regions but right now, this isn’t available there.

16. ***** down on bots and exploits

My SSH server has been attacked twice in the past 24 hours by two different Azure hosts. Please do more than promise people that you'll look into people using your services for abusing other servers.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Enable to manage your own endpoint list.

Allow to manage (add/edit/change endpoints) to the default presented endpoint list. Example I from time to time need to enable special endpoints times in a repetitive manner. this will allow save my settings in the cloud and avoid me to keep a record of the settings I use.

A option to reset to default will be also handy.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Windows  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. Ability to move resources

Some examples:

1) You set up something (e.g. SQL, VM, storage, CDN, etc.) in a region because a feature wasn't available in another region. Then it becomes available, and you are stuck in the old region because moving things requires lots of manual work, copies, DNS changes, etc., if at all possible. It would be great to allow to simply "change region", and Azure does everything needed behind the scenes. Of course you pay for the bandwidth, but the operation could be transparent.

2) You set up a VM, and you forget to put it in an affinity group. Shouldn't…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Ensure Virtual Machine GenerationID does not change over a Shut Down and Start pair of operations

Microsoft invented the VM GenerationID as a means of determining when an important VM transition event has occured. As per Microsoft's paper on the subject, the GenerationID of a guest should not change on restart or migrate operations. This works fine directly on Hyper-V, but an Azure managed VM will see a GenerationID change when the VM is Shut Down then Started (as two separate operations, a single 'Restart' operation does not change the GenerationID). Incidentally, the virtual SMBIOS UUID also changes during this operation, which is wrong too (SMBIOS UUID should change only on a clone operation).
    I imagine…

22 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Microsoft Antimalware for Azure Needs a GUI for Monitoring and Management

I have been researching the Microsoft Antimalware for Azure which is currently in preview. I think that the idea behind this product is fantastic. There was a real gap in the market for customers who want to run VMs on Microsoft Azure. So I am glad to see that Microsoft is offering a service which addresses the need to protect Azure VMs from viruses.

Unfortunately, the current release of Microsoft Antimalware for Azure is extremely difficult to deploy, configure, and manage. The main reason for this is the lack of any UI for the administrator or end user. To do…

26 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  • Don't see your idea?

Virtual Machines

Feedback and Knowledge Base