Virtual Machines

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Ability to move Virtual machines between suscriptions

We work with projects creating a suscription for each project. That way we can have control of how much money we expend on the windows azure service.
    But sometimes, we would like to reuse existing machines that we used in one suscription to a second suscription for a different project.

I know we can replicate VM, o use backup disk, etc, but it would be so much easier if we have an option to just move one VM from one suscription to another suscription. It seems very easy and is only for accounting issues.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Microsoft
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Windows  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. No OK button when selecting Storage Account in Create VM Wizard

When creating a new VM, there is not OK button after selecting a Storage Account - and when you navigate away, it will warn you that you loose your settings.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. vCloud / vRealize Automation compatibility

We use VMware vCloud Automation Center / vRealize Automaton for our private cloud self-service portal. We want to allow our end users to deploy VM's to Azure but this is not out of the box functionality. I hope MS and VMware can work together on a connector endpoint to make this possible. It would really go a long way to make Azure usage skyrocket if other cloud management software could deploy to Azure services more easily.

31 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Make Three Fault Domains the minimum configuration of an Availability Set

When deploying SQL Server AlwaysOn AG or FCI for high availability, you need to ensure that you always have a majority of cluster votes online. In order to do this you need to ensure that each cluster node and the file share witness reside in different fault domains. A two node cluster needs a minimum of three Fault Domains. However, Azure currently only guarantees two Fault Domains per Availability Set. This is inadequate due to the fact that the failure of a single Fault Domain will bring down your entire cluster if two of cluster votes reside in that Fault…

35 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5. virtual machine (VM) - simple - snapshot/image

One of the best features about running a virtual machine is the ability to snapshot/image a running VM so that you can revert back to it in case of a misconfiguration or other issue that would be difficult to recover from.

This is also a great non-intrusive way to backup machines without pegging CPU cycles (driving up cloud hosting costs).

I was able to do this with VMs running in Rackspace cloud and I believe other cloud hosting providers allow it. Why not Azure? It would be very important.

18 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. What happened to the ability to create a virtual machine from a detached disk?

I used to be able to delete a virtual machine and then recreate it using the detached disk. This option appears to be missing now. How can I create a VM using either my own Image or my detached disks?

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7. Bulk adding endpoints

Is there a way to add more than 1 endpoints at a time? If not I think this would be a great feature. Thanks.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. Item descriptions

Having the ability to add a description to a service or virtual machine would be a welcome addition.

16 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. 4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. 1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. add feature to run sysprep on vm's pre-image creation

it would be useful to have azure run the sysprep on an existing VM instead of just asking "have you run sysprep?"

suggest exposing this as a feature on the create-image div

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. Remove affinity group

Now that affinity groups are increasingly deprecated for some of their original purposes, it would be helpful to have an option to untangle existing items from an affinity group. In other words, I am looking for a way to delete an affinity group without deleting the items it contains (which would remain in the same region).

14 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. To obtain RDS SALs (Subscriber Access Licenses) through Azure Management Portal

For standard machines created from azure, believe it is more practical to obtain RDS SALs (Subscriber Access Licenses) through Azure Management Portal.

15 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. Improvements on the Azure Internal Load Balancer

The Azure Internal Load Balancer doesn't provide feedback as to the status of the endpoints - for example if a HTTP probe has been configured there is not way to determine if the probe is actually working.

Additionally VMs behind the Azure ILB need to be able to talk to the IP address for the Azure ILB. Not having this has led to us having to add entries to a VM's hosts file - not ideal.

10 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. Problems creating new SharePoint farm in preview portal

Hi,

I'm trying to create a New SharePoint farm from the new azure portal. I'm able to start the deployment, but after a couple of hours it stops and the deployment status is set to failed. I've tried to do this mulitple times, but they all fail with the same status. When I review the log in Azure, there are two failed items:

Microsoft.Resources/EventNameV2:
    End request

Microsoft.Resources/Operation:
    Microsoft.ClassicCompute/virtualMachines/extensions/write

Microsoft.Resources/ResourceUri:
    /subscriptions/31c8c3a4-ca28-4a55-a2f1-1c9bc660f439/resourcegroups/UiNTest/providers/Microsoft.ClassicCompute/virtualMachines/UiNTest-SP/extensions/PrepareSharePointServerCustomScript

statusCode:
    Conflict

statusMessage:
    {"status":"Failed","error":{"code":"ResourceDeploymentFailure","message":"The resource operation completed with terminal provisioning state 'Failed'."}}

and

Microsoft.Resources/EventNameV2:
    End request

Microsoft.Resources/Operation:
    Update deployment

Microsoft.Resources/ResourceUri:
    /subscriptions/31c8c3a4-ca28-4a55-a2f1-1c9bc660f439/resourcegroups/UiNTest/deployments/Microsoft.SharePointFarm

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. too hard to find the port used by the virtual machine.

too hard to find the port used by the virtual machine.

Add this information to at least more than one windows, when I go to the dashboard, I can find all about some serial hard drive number which I wll never use, but I cannot find this which I absolutely have to connect. Half the setup time is done trying to find this port.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. to enable PPTP from Azure VM to on prem servers.

PPTP is a commonly used VPN protocol, hence it would be good to have it enabled in order to allow connections from Azure VMs to on premise systems.

36 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Share the SharePoint Server Farm creation scripts

The Marketplace contains a gallery item to create a SharePoint Server Farm. Can the items (scripts/extensions/etc) that are used to create this be shared as a sample that we start with to build our own custom SharePoint Server Farm solutions on top of?

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Virtual machine that works would be a great improvement

I pay my subscription for a virtual machine on Azure but it stopped working this night and now I get "Failed to start virtual machine". Nobody answers at the support and nobody cares. Great Microsoft. Keep on billing me.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Options to set waagent.conf variables (Linux)

The linux (Ubuntu) machines are not really persistent when shutting down and/or capturing, the waagent.conf is not read properly (even when capturing an image, a new image based on the capture does not include changed settings in waagent.conf).

It would be nice to have the waagent.conf setting configurable at start up, when creating the virtual machine.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    planned  ·  Corey Sanders [MSFT] responded

There are a few bugs we are working through to address these issues:

1) Hostname changes are not persistent across reboots on Ubuntu. This is an issue we are working through on cloud-init which we should have fixed soon: https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/walinuxagent/+bug/1375252

2. Customers cannot use the waagent.conf file to change the location of the local disk mount point or set up swap space in a consistent way. We are working through how to fix this wit these two bugs:

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/cloud-init/+bug/1374115

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/cloud-init/+bug/1374166

• Don't see your idea?

Virtual Machines

Categories

Feedback and Knowledge Base