Virtual Machines

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. stop charging for 'transactions'.

this seems like a nickel & dime thing. Just include storage transactions as part of the cost of a VM.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Microsoft
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Getting scheduled "VM Maintenance" using Powershell

Hi Corey,

It would be nice if customers could read scheduled maintenance using either Powershell or just a basic REST call. This will bring flexibility and create integration with servicec management systems for notification.

9 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Windows  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. When shuting down a virtual machin

Shutdown of a virtual machine gives the following message. Shutdown in the old portal just works fine....

Failed to shut down virtual machine
    Failed to shut down the virtual machine '.....'.
    Authentication failed. The 'Authorization' header is not present or provided in an invalid format.

I use an organisation account with 2way authentication, does not know if this matters

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4. Autogrow for VMs

Looks like there is work under progress to explore live migration / low downtime migration of VMs to reduce the down time during maintenance windows. Will be wonderful to build on it and make in place scale up / Down of a stand alone VM based on performance thresholds possible. Scaling out dosent foot the bill for all scenarios as it really requires SQL always on or ILB on top of it for the app to leverage elasticity in its current form.

8 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Windows  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Support Direct Access in Azure

Today it is not supported to use the Remote Access Role in a Windows Server in Azure. It would be a great Feature, if Clients Can connect via Direct Access to Azure Ressources

93 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. can't add tcp port

Unable to add TCP Port. After entering details it just closes without adding the port forwarding. It works fine in old portal.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

under review  ·  0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Can we have a way to get the log file when VM failed to boot up ?

I found it is very difficult to find out what happen without a log file when vm fail to boot up.
    I spend a lot of time only to figure out what I had changed since last time I make it boot up.

You can log the virtual console to a file that we can click a button to get it.

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Linux  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

This is great feedback. Let us dig into what this would entail to pull out these logs as part of our logging system.

8. Linux Gentoo image (VHD) by Microsoft

Add Gentoo Linux support.

64 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We have no current plans to create a Gentoo image, as we have seen a lower demand for this compared to other distros, and a workaround is possible by creating a custom VM image. Note that Gentoo is highly customizable, which makes it less suited to being offered as a platform image running Azure agent, as assumptions would need to be made about the desired configuration. We will revisit this decision if customer demand for this distro increases.

9. Add Optional Workflow Server to the SharePoint Server Farm item in the Gallery

The current gallery option to create a SharePoint Server Farm is good but it does not go far enough. While a migration to Office 365 and "the cloud" in general is well underway, many developers are still being tasked with developing On-Premises solutions, and a great many of these include Workflow requirements.

Azure is a great way for a developer to spin up a Development/Test/Sandbox environment, but trying to add a workflow server into the current VM's that are deployed as part of the existing template is a painful and frustrating process, especially for those developers (like myself) who are…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. The always on group creation for SQL 2014 is broken

The always on group creation for SQL 2014 is broken. It dies immediately with "Deployment Failed .... Authentication failed. The 'Authorization' header is not present or provided in an invalid format."

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. Windows 8 Home

Just an end-user virtual desktop

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Windows  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. 4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. Display VM Preview

Display a preview view for all VMs. This will allow admins to see when VMs are back online and ready to login after a restart and or the current state of the VM.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

under review  ·  1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. share disks between Virtual Machines

It would be nice a way to attach the same disk to multiple virtual machines. There are some products that need to write information in disk. To enable availability you add more virtual machines, but the product won't replicate information. To solve this, an easy way would be point Vm's to write and share the same disk.

14 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. Provide a Notes section for virtual machine

It would be nice if we could have a Notes section on each virtual machine so that we note some comments on a machine (domain name, admin account, date of last backup...

14 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We have considered this. I wonder whether a simple Key-Value tagging would meet your needs here? This is something in our plans.

16. ADFS HA Template

One of the scenarios for Office 365 SSO is to deploy all of the SSO components in Azure: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dn509537.aspx

"Scenario 2: All Office 365 SSO integration components deployed in Azure. This is the new, cloud-only approach; you deploy directory synchronization and AD FS in Azure. This eliminates the need to deploy on-premises servers."

If technically possible, it would be great to have instructions to setup site to site VPN, documentation which already exists, and then provision highly available ADFS servers via template.

I think medium sized customers with on-premise AD desiring SSO would find this attractive.

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Windows  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. VM Pricing Tier Labeling

In the Pricing Tier box under Usage, why isn't the pricing tier identifier included? I can see that my VM has 4 cores and 28 GB of RAM, but when I click the box it just lists all configurations. I have to search through looking for the one with 4 cores and 28GB RAM. I see that it is configuration D12. Why isn't D12 part of the pricing tier configuration info listed in the little box? At the very least, why doesn't D12 have the little checkmark set indicating that it is the current configuration?

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. Have a 16 core vm with 16gb of ram for cpu intensive workloads

The current 16 core vm ' s come with huge amounts of ram and are very pricey. I would like a 16 core vm with 16gb of ram for less memory intensive but high cpu loads

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Ability to manage virtual machine images and disks

I cannot find my virtual machine images and detached disks. I'm forced to switch into the old portal to delete old VHDs

11 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

under review  ·  2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. Don't publish RDP / PowerShell when selecting a corp connected network

My financial customer was alarmed to see that a server was exposed to the internet when it was also connected to their corporate network.

I helped them "connect" their on premises network to Azure. Once connected, one of the IT Admins just ran through the wizard (UI) to create a VM and place it on the network. A week later, security was reviewing the settings and asked why a sensitive server on a sensitive network was exposed (RDP with a random port) to the internet (which there is no good answer).

My request: Can we change the deploy VM behavior…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

Virtual Machines

Categories

Feedback and Knowledge Base