Virtual Machines

How can we improve Azure Virtual Machines?

(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Make Ubuntu VM NVMe storage mounting more robust

I experience periodically that, when I start a storage-optimized Ubuntu VM (size L32s), the NVMe disk is not mounted. When I try `sudo mount /mnt`, I get: `mount: /mnt: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/sdb1, missing codepage or helper program, or other error.` and no obvious way to fix this. Other times, the machine starts and the disk is mounted fine. No obvious pattern. Please make mounting more robust.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Microsoft
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Linux  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. VM新規構築時に、smalldisk版のOSを検索することなくリストから選べるようにする

最初からsmalldisk版の存在を明示しておけば、例えば検証目的や教育目的で使用するため必要以上のディスク容量を必要としない利用者には無駄なコストを省く意味でも非常に有難いです。
    (リスト選択時に最低ディスク容量も注釈で表示されることが出来ればベター)

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Create way to do adhoc backup policy to create an image of VM and name the policy or image.

I have done a lengthy install on RHEL 7 VM in which I would like to create an image as a new starting point. The next install I will be doing requires all these dependencies and it's very time consuming. I can go and do a backup and restore of the VM of a given date but there is no way to do an adhoc backup and call that my "gold image" or some unique name so I"ll know that's my starting point. I guess I could use clonezilla, kickstart or docker to create the image but it would be…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4. If user configured a domain controller and user forget the account & password.

If user configured a domain controller and user forget the account & password. user can not get VM's data anytime. user can not reset account & password, too.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Windows  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Setup steps for Microsoft virtual desktop hosting are pointlessly complex.

The steps to merely evaluate Microsoft virtual desktop hosting are idiotically complex. Other commercial offerings are far easier to consume. The Microsoft virtual desktop capability should have been as easy to enable and use as any part of Office 365, or an on-premises multi-user Windows server pool.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6. VMSS HealthExtension should have a User-Agent or allow one to be specified

These calls hit our endpoints but do not have any identifying information, which can confuse some investigations.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7. X11

Hi Guys,

This is good : https://docs.microsoft.com/fr-fr/azure/virtual-machines/linux/login-using-aad
    But if you could offer X11 forward to have the desktop access that would be great !

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. M series VMs in North Central US

SQL server virtual machines require a higher RAM/CPU (M series in North Central US) ratio than can be supplied using the standard VM sizes. Constrained CPU sizes were introduced to address this issue (eg E Series). Since the standard E and D series machines can be reserved please also allow the RAM constrained versions to be reserved so we can control workload of SQL server VMs.

An ETA would be helpful.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. M series VMs in North Central US

SQL server virtual machines require a higher RAM/CPU ratio than can be supplied using the standard VM sizes. Constrained CPU sizes were introduced to address this issue (eg E Series). Since the standard E and D series machines can be reserved please also allow the RAM constrained versions to be reserved so we can control workload of SQL server VMs.

An ETA would be helpful.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. Need more detailed activity logs

Need more detailed activity logs on resizing VM, like who resized the VM from which size to which size;
    Need more detailed activity logs on adding tags, like who added which tag(s).

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. Allow setting dns name server at VM provision time

Allow setting dns name server at VM provision time. On Linux VMs it is currently necessary to modify the /etc/dhcp/dhclient.conf to supersede the reddog.microsoft.com search domain that gets set by Azure. Being able to configure this at provision would make the DHCP/DNS process moer similar to the way AWS and GKE provision their VMs.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. Please add option to disable Auto-recovery(Service Healing)

Some Software differ the license cost when VM has High availability feature in infrastructure level.

It will be much more flexible if there are option to disable Auto-recovery(Service healing) when there are Host Server faults.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/virtual-machines/troubleshooting/understand-vm-reboot#host-server-faults

https://azure.microsoft.com/ja-jp/blog/service-healing-auto-recovery-of-virtual-machines/

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. disk type

During VM creation, it should be speicifed as P6 for Premium disks which is free. Else this creates confusion during creation and unnecessary cost will be involved.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. unable to see pricing for some images

Customers are unable to see the pricing for some images while creating the VM. Example Canonical Ubuntu images. Although, the images are free. It would great for the customers to see the price as free rather than to see " Pricing unavailable for these images.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. Are Nvidia GPU user license fees included with the N series VMs?

Are Nvidia GPU user license fees included with the N series VMs?

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. Virtual Windows would be even better if older Windows apps that I own could be run in a container and accessed through virtual Windows 10

I like Micrografx Designer. I think it last ran under Windows XP. It would be nice if Virtual Windows could run older apps in a container and have them accessible through virtual Windows 10. I realize that there is a problem of licensing and all that. But the whole idea of planned obsolescence, the company owns the license, everything craps out when the company ceases to exist, is what's wrong with computing in a big way. Imagine if all the centuries of written literature crapped out when the writers died because they were only licensing their works to you -…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Global Admin should have capability to view Reserved Instance reservations.

Global admins SHOULD be able to view (or at least manage permissions) of Reserved Instance reservations in the Azure portal. Currently, only the purchaser and account owner can manage the permissions. This is contradictory to everything else in Azure, where a Global Admin alywas has the capability to change permissions (acting as a User Access Administrator).

On a secondary note, Read-only admins in the Enterprise Agreement portal should also have the ability to view reserved instance data.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Windows  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. Windows VM agent for - 2008 Standard/Enterprise 64 bit OS

Hello as we are encouraging clients to move their Windows 2008 standard/Enterprise workloads to Azure sighting extended security updates for 3 years. But we dont have a compatible VMagent that can run on for these workloads there by limiting the usage of extensions

Especially for Log Analytics and backup

This is to be action-ed for clients to have a completeness of the solution

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Impossible to filter the Azure REST API SKU information

When query the Azure REST API to retrieve SKU information with the following URL
    https://management.azure.com/subscriptions/{SubscriptionId}/providers/Microsoft.Compute/skus?api-version=2017-09-01
    This query currently return around of 574000 lines and 6,18 Mb.
    This API query can't be used as a dataSourceBinding in a DevOps task definition, because a response size limitation exists.

50 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. 1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)