Virtual Machines

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. allow assigning public IP to virtual servers

changing public IPs has a great impact on various apps running, linked services, and others. Adding a feature that allows assigning an old public IP, which is still not reserved to any other machine, to the VM server after rebooting (in case subscribers missed to set their IP to static) is one needed things.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Microsoft
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. enable serial port redirection for medical practices' diagnostic machines

Enable serial port redirection for medical practices' diagnostic machines. Currently there is no way to redirect serial data from the office to the cloud server in Azure.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Thanks for the valid suggestion. Your feedback is now open for the user community to upvote which allows us to effectively prioritize your request against our existing feature list and also gives us insight into the potential impact of implementing the suggested feature

3. JIT access on VM blade should behave exactly like it does in Security Center

JIT is a great part of the product. From the Security Center blade it allows a user to open a specific IP (MyIP) that they are connecting from. I can whitelist IPs, ranges, etc, or allow them to whitelist any specific IP of their choice.

When using JIT from the VM blade it simply places the whitelist (or * if no whitelist is present) into the new NSG rule. I would like the VM blade's implementation of JIT to match with the Security Center implementation. In my use case I want to allow users to open individual IPs, tied to…

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Thanks for the valid suggestion. Your feedback is now open for the user community to upvote which allows us to effectively prioritize your request against our existing feature list and also gives us insight into the potential impact of implementing the suggested feature

4. 1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Windows  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

5. Mount VHDs/managed disks directly in portal

For unencrypted volumes, it would sometimes be useful to be able to "mount" these volumes in Azure and browse/edit some of the data. Using this method, some Linux problems could be fixed, i.e. problematic fstab entries. If possible, this would need to be available for different file systems, i.e. NTFS, ETX4 ...

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Thanks for the valid suggestion. Your feedback is now open for the user community to upvote which allows us to effectively prioritize your request against our existing feature backlog and also gives us insight into the potential impact of implementing the suggested feature.

6. VM current screenshot on front page of VM?

I feel that it would be great to have this shown on the front page of the VM, a bit like how a VM is displayed in Hyper-V, so that at a glance you can see the latest screen capture

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Thanks for the valid suggestion. Your feedback is now open for the user community to upvote which allows us to effectively prioritize your request against our existing feature backlog and also gives us insight into the potential impact of implementing the suggested feature.

7. Create rescue VM directly from portal

I'm aware of the rescue VM scripts for Azure VMs, however it would be handy to have a 'rescue' button in the portal which does all of the steps i.e. creating snapshot, new rescue VM (maybe hypervisor), attaching disk, etc.
    This would be a big time saver when troubleshooting a failed VM

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. Display VM Image information in the portal

When creating Azure Compute Resources you need to specify the following Parameters in order to request a VM:

Offer
    Publisher
    Sku

Getting this information can be very hard because these information are only displayed in the "Export template" section after you created them.

I think, that it would be way better if we could fetch these Information from the Marketplace Item page. (See attached picture)

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Linux  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

9. ASR should support 3rd party SSL certificates for replication

We are replicating our VMware vm's to Azure using ASR configuration servers (OVF template). ASR uses self signed certificate which is not a secured one and also it fails some security compliance. ASR should start supporting 3rd SSL certificates which are secured and do not have issues with Security compliance

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. link the reserved resources such as VMs per resource ID to the services that request them. The current system is not user-friendly.

When choosing to reserve resources over a longer period and to benefit from a discount by committing to allocate resources over 1/3 years, the way that Azure does it is really not transparent and not user friendly.
    First of all, it should be possible that a resource like AKS offers the option of creating a cluster for 1/3 years instead of requiring the user to create the underlying VMs first and have them "automatically" be assigned to the AKS, so long as the VMs are of the same type.
    Also, what if another user that has access to the subscription…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. Make deleting VMs faster

Currently it takes more than 10 minutes to delete a single VM. This is too slow, please make it faster.

Deleting a VM should be something that can be done in less than one minute like it is with other cloud platforms.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. Allow VM console access when storage account has firewall enabled

It's pretty ridiculous that the Azure VM serial console won't work when the boot diagnostics storage account has a firewall enabled.

First, it should be possible to use a firewall for additional protection of boot diagnostics. I understand that the storage has to be written from the host server, not the VM, so it might not be on the correct vnet; but this should be considered a "trusted Azure service", or there should be another option to allow it.

Second, the Serial Console is not the same as boot logging. They are two separate things! I should be able to…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  VMSS  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

13. Support osDisk swap for encrypted VMs

Today Azure provides a way to swap the osDisk of the VM only when the VM's osDisk is not encrypted.
    https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/security/azure-security-disk-encryption-overview

Should be able to support this even when the VM is encrypted using Azure Disk Encryption.

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. remote desktop

Facilitate using remote desktop on new VMs.
    This serial console is junk.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Windows  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for the suggestion. Your feedback is now open for the user community to up-vote & comment on. This allows us to effectively prioritize your request against our existing feature backlog and also gives us insight into the potential impact of implementing the suggested feature.

15. Put a name to the Reserved Instance while making the purchase

In the past, I was able to put a friendly name while purchasing a Reserved Instance but, with the new experience it seems that this is a challenge and I can rename it after I make the purchase which is a waste of time.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. VM creation validation on tags, without actually creating any underlying resources

I have created two policies contained within an initiative for a tagging requirement. One of these validated Resource Group creation, and the other VM creation.

All of my other VM creation requirements (such as allowed images, allowed SKU's, allowed regions etc) result either in a Validation Failed or Validation Passed during creation validation, with the exception of TAG.

When attempting to create a new Resource Group that does not have the required tags defined in the policy, I get a creation error. It's a bit ugly looking but it at least stops the creation of the Resource Group that does…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Thanks for the valid suggestion. Your feedback is now open for the user community to up-vote & comment on. This allows us to effectively prioritize your request against our existing feature backlog and also gives us insight into the potential impact of implementing the suggested feature.

17. Swapping the unhealthy physical node at starting VM

For running VM, "Service healing" will prevents down-time.
    On the other hands, for initiation of VM, user have to wait for VM fully starts and user cannot detect the reason why VM starts slowly.

I would propose that Azure automatically retry starting VM on another node in case Azure detect unhealthy node events.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Constrained CPU on DS15_v2 or beyond

Can you offer D15 with constrained CPU?
    We are running SQL server on this VMs with CPU count licenses, and our workload need more RAM than CPU.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. Display installed Azure extension from within the Add Extensions menu

Provide a mechanism to surface (display) installed Azure Extensions from within the Add menu. For example, I have the Network Watcher Agent (NWA) installed, but when I click <Add> and go into the Extensions menu NWA is still available as an option along with other installed extension. Ideally, add a checkmark to the icon or something like it to depict that the Extenstion has already been installed.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Thanks for the valid suggestion. Your feedback is now open for the user community to upvote & comment on. This allows us to effectively prioritize your request against our existing feature backlog and also gives us insight into the potential impact of implementing the suggested feature.

20. Support for custom VM sizes

We need more custom VM sizes besides the existing ones. Sometimes we may need more or less vCPU/RAM, which are not included in the existing VM sizes. It would be better for customers to config their prefer sizes.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

Virtual Machines

Categories

Feedback and Knowledge Base