Virtual Machines

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Upgrade OS

You should be able to back up your files and data to a storage account and then upgrade your Windows Server OS to the latest version/edition.

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Microsoft
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

1 comment  ·  Windows  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for the feedback. This has a relatively high test cost and given we have the newest OS version available, we haven’t heard much interest in this.

Please up-vote this and we will consider it.

Corey

2. Support OLAP

Azure really ought to support an OLAP service. HDInsight/Hadoop are, well, OK, I guess, for offline reporting on distributed datasets, but they're a heck of a long ways from the ease-of-use, speed, and realtime analysis that you get with OLAP and MDX.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. 9 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Linux  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for the feedback. If folks could vote on this to help determine whether this is a common environment required for PHP development.

4. virtual machine shows stopped not deallocated

The preview of virtual machines only shows them as stopped. Nothing says if the VMs are deallocated that I can see. From a charging point of view the statuses should be the same as the original portal.

8 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Bug: Failed to delete the virtual machine.

I had two VMs in a Cloud Service named DC1 and DC2

I deleted DC1 and then tried to delete DC2, each time checking the "Disks" box for items to also delete.

DC1 deleted successfully, and DC2 errored with this message:
    Failed to delete the virtual machine.

That's it. I guessed it's because DC2 was the last VM in the Cloud Service.

The second time I tried to delete the VM, I noticed the Cloud Service was also selectable in the "other items to delete" check boxes.

This time the delete was successful, and I had a second notice for…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6. Windows Images with different languages

It would be great to have pre-built Windows images in different languages for testing software on foreign Windows systems.

10 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Windows  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Provide a simple portal where organisations can allow their employees to request VMs on their subscription at the click of a button

Azure is intimidating to non-technical people, but the potential for organisations to use it to host their employees computers is huge. They would no longer have to worry about buying hardware for their employees, dealing with it's depreciation or end of life disposal. At the same time, employees could then request a powerful VM from this Lite Portal in one click of a button for their work from their tablet, phone or laptop without needing to worry about the technical or financial complexity that currently exists with getting a VM on Azure.

14 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Can you share a few more details on what you are thinking about here? Just a more simple version of the portal?

Corey

8. enable azure active directory as a domain controller for IaaS virtual machines.

Today for IaaS setup in Azure we need to deploy dedicated machines for Active Directory to get domain functionality. Can you enable IaaS VMs join to a Azure AD tenant within the same subscription ?

13 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. support glassfish server for Java Developers + good documentation for java

I'm a java developer using glassfish as a application server, so to use azure cloud for java applications glassfish is mandatory because it is one of the few servers Java EE 7 certified.
    comparing to Google App Engine Java documentaion, Azure Java Docs is very poor.
    Thanks

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

I would love more details on the type of documentation you would like to see to improve Java usage on the platform!! We are always looking to improve Java usage and this would help a lot.

10. Granular Information about Azure Maintenance

Last week, I received a notification regarding Azure Maintenance that is scheduled starting 1st August - I have attached it here. The notification said "WestUS - First Half", "WestUS-Second Half" and so on. But currently, there seems to be no way of checking in which "Half" is our deployment. If this information is available on the portal in our subscription, it will help to identify when and how our services are going to be affected.

15 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

thanks for the feedback. I am hoping that this is the last maintenance (after we go through all the regions) that will be split in half like this.

11. problems creating a virtual ubuntu machine

i cant set up a virtual machine using ubuntu on azure. It askes me for a "SSH AUTHENTICATION KEY" every time ??? Icreated one on my windows pc and pasted the public key in there. But azure says that it's not valid. it took me 2 hours... and i don't know how to solve that problem. There is no help on azure. So what do i need to do?

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

under review  ·  5 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. Create a step by step guide on which order to create cloud server, VPN, and VMs

There must be an order you create site-to-site VPNs, cloud services and virtual machines. I have not found a clear step by step document on this. (I guess I could write it.... :) It is clear you must create the VPN first. How do I move resources around? Can I move resources between cloud services? etc....

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. Set Locale on creating VM

Most people in the world do not use en-US as their locale which means the passwords they create on their own machine do not function as expected when on the VM as the VM interprets the keyboard layout into en-US. Even en-GB has problems where the @ is created using a different shift-key combination.

31 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. 4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Windows  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. Custom language for virtual machines

I want to have Windows Server 2012 in german because when I create a Server to convince someone to switch to the new version for Windows Server it is much easier to explain when the virtual machine is in our own language. I tried many things like creating my own local virtual machine with a german image in Hyper-V, sysprep it and upload it but this didn't work. So it would be very cool to choose your own language in the "Create" process. Beacuse the images are already available in the MSDN.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. Templates for Virtual Machines

I hate it to create a new virtual machine in the new azure portal. It takes too long to open every blade and then open another blade, close this blade and so on... So I would like to go to a resource group "Add Virtual Machine" and things like Networking and Storage are already configured. You can already choose between some resources like Website, SQL Database and Windows Server 2012 but I would like to create a custom virtual machine for example with Windows 8.1.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. Microsoft Software Reactivation after VM shut down and restart

Currently any Microsoft software installed on an Azure VM does not support retail activation because everyday if the VM is shut down from portal, then restart, the software require re-activation. (Unless we have setup KMS which takes quite an effort for support), please fix this so that Azure will be a better platform to choose from compare to other similar cloud services (i.e. A - W - S, etc.)

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

What software are you having difficulties with? Office retail (like Word, PowerPoint) is not support to run inside Azure VMs, which might be your problem.

corey

18. Add Dedicated Instances

Amazon AWS has the option to have Dedicated Instances for an increased charge, which means your VMs run on single tenant hardware instead of being shared with other Amazon customers. I suggest that Microsoft needs to add this feature to Azure. We have customers demanding that our service be run in an environment not shared by others. Here is the link to the Amazon offering for comparison purposes.

http://aws.amazon.com/ec2/purchasing-options/dedicated-instances/

49 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. Scheduled start/stops of VMs

Add a feature to Azure that allows the user to schedule a VM to start and/or stop at a certain date and time. This feature should be similar to a scheduled task in Windows.

If it's possible to do this with a scheduled task and some PowerShell scripts/cmdlets, let me know. But I do not think that would be as optimal as having this feature built into Azure because Azure frequently takes 15 minutes to allocate hardware to a VM before starting it up.

Ideally, an Azure management portal interface would allow the user to pick a time to start…

42 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. rename vm

Add the ability to rename a VM. The VM name is what appears in Azure, not the DNS name.

Changing a VM's name should not affect the VM in any way. If you need a unique identifier for a VM that does not change, I suggest using a GUID rather than the VM's name in Azure.

711 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

98 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  • Don't see your idea?

Virtual Machines

Feedback and Knowledge Base