Virtual Machines

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. | Temporary Disk | Add on/off options for temporary disk when creating Azure VM

End user could ignore the DATA LOSS file on temporary disk which comes from Azure VM by default, if it's possible to add on/oof options for temporary disk when creating Azure VM?

One more thing, when the VM is using temporary disk, if it's possible to pop-up a dialog box to notify the user that the data in temporary disk could be lose after stopping/deallocating the VM? (Like the public ip pop-up diaglog in the attachment)

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Microsoft
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Windows  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Virtual Machine Image API - Include OS disk size info

Virtual Machine Image API reference: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/rest/api/compute/virtualmachineimages/get

Managed Image API reference: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/rest/api/compute/images/get

The returned objects from the virtual machine images API do not include information of the image size on the OS disk, whereas the API for managed images do include this information. This prevents the possibility of creating a solution to verify whether a potential deployment of a VM has appropriately sized disks or not based on the selected marketplace image, while this capability is present if the deployment is using a managed image. I don't see why there shouldn't have feature parity in this regard between the two API…

11 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. query VMSS instance properties in Azure Resource Graph Explorer

Please expose the individual VMSS instance properties in Azure Resource Graph Explorer. I can generate reports with name, private IP, and so on for the virtualmachines resource type but for VMSS I am only able to see the VMSS resource itself, no instance properties.

Azure Resource Graph Explorer is far superior to PowerShell/CLI for building reports quickly on resources across subscriptions, regions, etc.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  VMSS  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. 1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5. good i like it

thanks azure student. i like it. i still discover what the others content in azure. but so far, i like it. thanks :)

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6. Consolidated datasheet for Azure Instances

Can you publish a single table that shows all Azure VM instance types and the specs for each. Especially the network performance limits. It would be great to be able to compare all instances on one datasheet.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Linux  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Azure Image Builder - Is it possible to build image with data disk?

Is it possible to leverage AIB to build an image from the marketplace but add an additional data disk? We have security hardening standards where various Linux mount points need to be on separate physical partitions. We'd like to be able to leverage a marketplace Linux image, attach an additional data disk, run hardening scripts, then publish that custom image for use.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. Configuration of multiple OMS workspaces via ARM

When deploying the MMA agent via ARM (or any other method actually) you can only specify 1 log analytics workspace to connect to. Modern architectures increasingly require multi-home configurations, it would be useful to make these deployments easier.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. Show VM uptime in Azure Portal

It would be nice to see "VM uptime" and/or "last restarted" status in Azure portal.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. Allow to set the value of shutdown timeout (force shutdown)

According to the current behavior, if it is not completed within 10 minutes after the stop(deallocate) operation of Azure VM, I believe that the stop will be forced.

However, it may take a lot of time due to the stop processing of process or OS task.

I hope to be able to determine the forced out timeout time ourselves.

88 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14 comments  ·  Windows  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Source image for adding images to shared image gallery must be uniquely identified across different resource groups

Source image for adding images to shared image gallery must be uniquely identified across different resource groups

There are two images with same name in different resource groups and therefore I am unable to identify the source image that I want to be included in shared image gallery. See screen shot. One way out of this mess was trial and error. Customer was not appreciative of this mechanism.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Bugs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. 1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Windows  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. Provide API to get current VM spot pricing

It would be useful to have an API / CLI, like AWS provides, to determine what the current VM spot pricines is for each machine type.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. linux full AzureAD authentication username character support

Per: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/virtual-machines/linux/login-using-aad

My company uses camel casing and .- character structures which work for accessing azure, but not for logging into linux instances with this extension

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Linux  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. availability set creation

When I tried creating an availability set using the tutorials in linux VM creation with azure CLI (not local installation) , I get the messsage availability set does not exist.
    The screenshot attached.
    Thank you.
    Biju Joseph

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. add ability to rename storage account after creation

Since it is difficult to use by manual copying the complex long name created for the azure storage account, I request azure to give the owners ability to edit and rename the storage account name.
    Consider using the long name for a static website and if you want to give an easy to remember url to a customer.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. NICs

In your previous generations of D class VMs you had the DS3_v2, With 4vCPUs, 14GB of RAM and 4 NICs. In all subsequent generations the 4vCPU VMs only support 2 NICs. Why? I have vendor appliances that require 3 NICs. They don't require massive amounts of compute and memory so why is it that on the current generation we are forced to buy huge machines just to get the same NIC count as older generations. The equivalent AWS m4.xlarge supports 4 NICs and for Google Cloud any instance can support up to 8vNICs

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. iverted colors

NEW INNOVATION FOR NEW LOOK PROGRAM

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. azure cli pricePerHour

"az cli" (and the backing service) should be able to display the pricePerHour of a vm size.
    e.g.

$ az vm list-sizes --location northeurope --query "[?contains(name,'StandardNC6Promo') == `true`].{name: name, osDiskSizeInMb: osDiskSizeInMb, pricePerHour: pricePerHour}"
    [
    {

"name": "Standard_NC6_Promo",

"osDiskSizeInMb": 1047552,
    "pricePerHour": null <----

}
    ]

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. About Single Placement Group exceptions

With the Single Placement Group enabled, there will be a decrease in capacity within the cluster and an Allocation Failure will occur sometimes.
    To avoid this, please add a configuration that only considers deploying from another cluster when the cluster is out of capacity.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  VMSS  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  • Don't see your idea?

Virtual Machines

Categories

Feedback and Knowledge Base