Virtual Machines

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. ADFS HA Template

One of the scenarios for Office 365 SSO is to deploy all of the SSO components in Azure: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dn509537.aspx

"Scenario 2: All Office 365 SSO integration components deployed in Azure. This is the new, cloud-only approach; you deploy directory synchronization and AD FS in Azure. This eliminates the need to deploy on-premises servers."

If technically possible, it would be great to have instructions to setup site to site VPN, documentation which already exists, and then provision highly available ADFS servers via template.

I think medium sized customers with on-premise AD desiring SSO would find this attractive.

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Microsoft
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

2 comments  ·  Windows  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Have a 16 core vm with 16gb of ram for cpu intensive workloads

The current 16 core vm ' s come with huge amounts of ram and are very pricey. I would like a 16 core vm with 16gb of ram for less memory intensive but high cpu loads

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Ability to manage virtual machine images and disks

I cannot find my virtual machine images and detached disks. I'm forced to switch into the old portal to delete old VHDs

11 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

under review  ·  2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Don't publish RDP / PowerShell when selecting a corp connected network

My financial customer was alarmed to see that a server was exposed to the internet when it was also connected to their corporate network.

I helped them "connect" their on premises network to Azure. Once connected, one of the IT Admins just ran through the wizard (UI) to create a VM and place it on the network. A week later, security was reviewing the settings and asked why a sensitive server on a sensitive network was exposed (RDP with a random port) to the internet (which there is no good answer).

My request: Can we change the deploy VM behavior…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5. Choosing visual studio VM

It's extremely difficult to chose a VM to create, as the column is extremely thin, so the details are hidden (such as OS type)

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Microsoft Endpoint Protection for Azure (Antivirus) Management Service as a Service

It's great that we now can deploy the "System Center Endpoint Protection" client directly during provisioning using the new VM extensions, but we are still missing a management tool for managing policies and monitoring. Microsoft should provide the Microsoft Endpoint Protection antivirus product as a service or independent product that doesn't rely on System Center licensing model.

Many customers doesn't want to maintain complex infrastructures like System Center Configuration Manager or System Center Operations Manager. The requirement of System Center Advisor to have the integration with OpsMgr to get the benefits of the Security Intelligence Packs is great for System…

10 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. VM available as Thin client

Virtual Machine availability as Thin client .
    so that user can open Virtual Machine in IE .

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

under review  ·  0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. rename objects (affinity group, service bus, etc)

I hate how some types of objects can't be renamed.

Please let me rename things like Affinity Groups.

18 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. 1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. Not very user friendly

Very poor interface difficult just to create virtual machine and have come up in private network created. then change settings on server resources ?

Impossible to figure out ???

10 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. both onpremises and Azure VMs should be able to join domain from WAAD. User login acconts should connect with WAAD like liveID Accounts.

Currently WAAD is just a passive copy of on premises AD. Which gets information through DirSync. But neither can Azure VMs connect to that and join its VMs to that AD and also users with windows 8 cannot connect their login accounts to WAAD accounts like they can with liveID accounts. I suggest even end users laptops should as well connect to WAAD account so that machines can get the policy from WAAD. WAAD should increase the reachout of onpremises AD, instead of just being a passive copy

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. OpenBSD Virtual Machine

I would love to see an OpenBSD virtual machine, we use OpenBSD along side windows and would be interested in moving our entire cloud services to you if there was an OpenBSD virtual machine

25 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. Failover Cluster support besides SQL AlwaysOn

It would be great for failover clustering to be supported with Azure VMs as it would allow my customers to migrate all their thinkable on-premises workloads to Azure. Move to an Azure-only environment is being asked more frequently.
    Shared VHDX and a way to get a valid cluster IP address seems to be key for this to get operational.
    It would be a perfect in combination with availability sets for e.g. file server clusters, SQL failover clusters, custom application clusters

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Windows  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. 4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Linux  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. win2003

Allow legacy win2003 servers to execute in Azure

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Windows  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. Preconfigured SharePoint demo template

SharePoint 2013 preconfigured Demo environment-template for demo like the Information worker VHD for SP 2010.
    Main features:
    * Content with metadata etc.
    * Users

Pherhaps templateify the one you could create at https://www.microsoftofficedemos.com/
    for creation in azure.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

under review  ·  2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. add the ability to create a VM and install an OS (Linux/Windows) from an .ISO

It would be great to be able to stand up a VM w/ my hardware requirements and mount an .iso of the OS that I want to install. This is how Hyper V and vCenter works. We would upload the OS .ISO to a datastore, give the new VM access to the indicated datastore, and use the .ISO that is on the datastore as a bootable OS.

This way we could install custom linux OS's or other versions of windows (e.g. server 2008 R2 Standard x64)

59 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. Virtual Machine with Visual Studio & SQL Express on it

I love the idea of developing in the cloud and as a developer who is just gettting started I would like to have an image that has Visual Studio Express on it along with SQL Express. This would allow me to quickly get going, get money then buy a MSDN :-)

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Windows  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. Dynamics CRM images on Azure

The Sharepoint Farm deployment on Azure is a great capability. Having a similar capability for Dynamics CRM (on-premises) is going to be a huge win. There is already the Dynamics CRM online offering, however this doesn't satisfy most of the use case scenarios and having the one click CRM instance deployment capability would be a huge leap

22 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Partner with Dell and HP to create Azure/Cloud datacenters to help sell and integrate on-site Dell and HP Windows based servers

Partner with Dell and HP to create Azure/Cloud datacenters to help sell and integrate on-site Dell and HP Windows based servers with Azure Cloud.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

Virtual Machines

Feedback and Knowledge Base