Virtual Machines

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Allow to create VM without starting it immediatelly

Sometimes I want to create VM and immediatelly set additional configuration like attachng additional disk, set static IP via powersell. Today when I create it I need to wait for it to be provisioned/started, then shutdown it and wait and finally I can do some additional settings. Also when recreating deleted VMs which had previously attached disks (SQL server, domain controller) it first starts with disks missing which can even break stuff. Please add additional checkbox/flag to portal/powershell when creating VM so that it is not started/provisioned immediatelly.

38 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Microsoft
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Allow shutdown from VM to deallocated state

Allow regular shutdown inside VM to go always to Stopped(deallocated) state. This could be a flag set per VM just like static IP. Or it could be even default in Azure, why there is the Stopped state anyway?

10 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Retrieve VM internalUUID from REST API

Since http://azure.microsoft.com/blog/2014/10/13/accessing-and-using-azure-vm-unique-id/ ther's now there's now an Azure-unique UUID but you need to log into VM to get it.

It should be exposed in API (under RoleInstance entity?) so 3rd party integrations could identify uniquely VMs easily.

We've also missed a way in API to search for a certain VM without having to look in every cloud service. This unique UUID could be useful.

27 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. 3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5. Real Checkpoints - not VM Images

Checkpoints, as they are in Hyper-V and NOT VM Images as announced at Teched and already in production.

VM Images are not really the solution:

1. Amazon stores only the bits that have changed since the last snapshot, not again the whole machine.
    If a have a server with TBs of data and checkpoint the virtual machine, why should I have to pay for the storage twice?
    2. For a quick restore of the checkpoint, we would have to deploy the VM Image - no real solution in relation to how normal Hyper-V checkpoints work.

14 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Windows  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Dynamic Memory - pay for what you use

On premise we use Dynamic RAM on Hyper-V. It would be useful if the same applied for Virtual Machines on azure and we pay based on the amount of RAM used.

This makes choosing the VM size easier and makes things more cost effective over a period of time.

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

This is tricky to offer given some of the bin-packing needs of offering a public cloud service. We will continue to investigate the possibility of doing something like this.

7. Machine State For Test Environment

I use here just for SharePoint farm for now and thanks for user friendly portal. It is really nice to use a great farm at least 3 virtual machines. Maybe it should better if there is no action on machine for couple hours to shut down machine automatically. Maybe I think different from your work politics but it should be better to save limited credits for test users at the beginning

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

This cost saving mechanism is something we are looking to enable. You could support this just using Azure Automation scripts to detect and act.

8. Error Creating VM UX

1. Creating VM is not validating all fields
    2. I shouldn't be reading JSON to figure out what the problem is
    3. I should know what my options are
    4. Notification should take me to the configuration page and ask me to correct the error

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. Detailed error messages

My VM failed to provision. The error message did not provide any insight. Prompting the user to "try again" increases frustration.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. 1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Thanks for the feedback. If this gets a few more votes (and possibly some examples of the types of changes) we will consider these improvements.

11. Getting scheduled "VM Maintenance" using Powershell

Hi Corey,

It would be nice if customers could read scheduled maintenance using either Powershell or just a basic REST call. This will bring flexibility and create integration with servicec management systems for notification.

9 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. Autogrow for VMs

Looks like there is work under progress to explore live migration / low downtime migration of VMs to reduce the down time during maintenance windows. Will be wonderful to build on it and make in place scale up / Down of a stand alone VM based on performance thresholds possible. Scaling out dosent foot the bill for all scenarios as it really requires SQL always on or ILB on top of it for the app to leverage elasticity in its current form.

8 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Windows  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. can't add tcp port

Unable to add TCP Port. After entering details it just closes without adding the port forwarding. It works fine in old portal.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

under review  ·  0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. Can we have a way to get the log file when VM failed to boot up ?

I found it is very difficult to find out what happen without a log file when vm fail to boot up.
    I spend a lot of time only to figure out what I had changed since last time I make it boot up.

You can log the virtual console to a file that we can click a button to get it.

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Linux  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

This is great feedback. Let us dig into what this would entail to pull out these logs as part of our logging system.

15. Add Optional Workflow Server to the SharePoint Server Farm item in the Gallery

The current gallery option to create a SharePoint Server Farm is good but it does not go far enough. While a migration to Office 365 and "the cloud" in general is well underway, many developers are still being tasked with developing On-Premises solutions, and a great many of these include Workflow requirements.

Azure is a great way for a developer to spin up a Development/Test/Sandbox environment, but trying to add a workflow server into the current VM's that are deployed as part of the existing template is a painful and frustrating process, especially for those developers (like myself) who are…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. The always on group creation for SQL 2014 is broken

The always on group creation for SQL 2014 is broken. It dies immediately with "Deployment Failed .... Authentication failed. The 'Authorization' header is not present or provided in an invalid format."

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Windows 8 Home

Just an end-user virtual desktop

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Display VM Preview

Display a preview view for all VMs. This will allow admins to see when VMs are back online and ready to login after a restart and or the current state of the VM.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

under review  ·  1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. share disks between Virtual Machines

It would be nice a way to attach the same disk to multiple virtual machines. There are some products that need to write information in disk. To enable availability you add more virtual machines, but the product won't replicate information. To solve this, an easy way would be point Vm's to write and share the same disk.

14 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Provide a Notes section for virtual machine

It would be nice if we could have a Notes section on each virtual machine so that we note some comments on a machine (domain name, admin account, date of last backup...

14 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We have considered this. I wonder whether a simple Key-Value tagging would meet your needs here? This is something in our plans.

• Don't see your idea?

Virtual Machines

Feedback and Knowledge Base