Update: Microsoft will be moving away from UserVoice sites on a product-by-product basis throughout the 2021 calendar year. We will leverage 1st party solutions for customer feedback. Learn more here.

Virtual Machines

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. VMSS automatic OS upgrades should support Gen2 images

There is nothing special abut the generation 2 images for Windows server. Features like automatic OS upgrades in virtual machine scale sets should support all operating systems, including Gen2 and Core images.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  VMSS  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Use "az vm repair" extension to create repair VM with private IP only

A few months ago, I recommended az vm repair to help create a rescue vm. When running az vm repair create from the subscription, the operation fails because they had a policy to block Public IP addresses.

I propose an optional switch that gives the option to not give the repair VM a Public IP and to specify the pre-existing VNET you'd like to create the Repair VM on.

This way, the operation will complete on such a subscription and the VM will have a Private IP. Then depending on the user's setup (VPN, using another VM as a jump…

14 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Hacked Virtual Machine.

my virtual machine was hacked through the remote desktop interface, i am asking for microsoft to scan the VM and block the attackers ip address, and scan the device for vulnerabilities.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Windows  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Ensure that out-of-the-box VMs comply with the Security Center recommendations

I have been running a Windows Server 2019 Datacenter VM for about a year, and it has recently gone live. Having got the applications running, I have looked more closely at the Security Center reports and discovered lots of remediation needed. Why is that necessary? Surely the image could have all those issues corrected before it is deployed?

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Windows  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Create Virtual Machine > Image > List a current version of Windows 10! Shows out of support version!

When you go to create a new Virtual Machine, the only desktop option on the Basics page under Image is Win 10 Pro 1809. If you want to find a current version, the "See all images" page is actually REALLY hard for people to use to find a current version of Win 10 Pro or Enterprise (I've had this come up in new employee onboarding in literally every session). 1809 stopped getting security updates back in November of 2020 - over 4 months ago!

Please update the Image pick list to include both Win 10 Pro 20H1 and Win 10…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Bugs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. More supported setting names for Add-AzVMAdditionalUnattendContent

Currently the Add-AzVMAdditionalUnattendContent command only supports injecting "AutoLogon" and "FirstLogonCommands" settings for the "Microsoft-Windows-Shell-Setup" unattend component.

This needs expanding to support the "Microsoft-Windows-International-Core" unattend component which would allow setting of the region/locale and language.

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Windows  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. By making it more acceesible for people that doesn't know much about what does virtualization means.

I think people with no knowledge about virtualization or emulation will be kinda lost in these modules. They need easier-to-understand references to be able to fully comprehend the depth of this type of knowledge.

I am having a blast learning, but I think other people won't be having the same expirience as I do.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

8. By making it more acceesible for people that doesn't know much about what does virtualization means.

I think people with no knowledge about virtualization or emulation will be kinda lost in these modules. They need easier-to-understand references to be able to fully comprehend the depth of this type of knowledge.

I am having a blast learning, but I think other people won't be having the same expirience as I do.

0 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

9. VM ready should wait for scripts in CustomData to execute

It would be nice to be able to indicate that data provided in CustomData will be executed as a script by CloudInit or a similar tool, and then wait to show the VM as Ready only after the script is executed.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Linux  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Performance tiers for managed disks without deallocation

The feature described here https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/virtual-machines/disks-change-performance is really great but "You must either deallocate your VM or detach your disk from a running VM before you can change the disk's tier" which is a big disadvantage.
    Can this feature be made available for online changes?

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Linux  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Azure Serial Console: Support Managed Storage for Boot Diagnostics settings

Right now if we want to use the serial console functions we have to use a custom storage account for boot diagnostics - it cannot work with a managed storage account.

please configure allowing serial console to work with managed boot diagnostics storage accounts

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

12. Azure Disk Encryption - Support for Generation 2 VM's

Azure Disk Encryption does not support Generation 2 VM's - we would like this support

EDIT - it seems this might be supported at least for windows VM's but not yet documented?

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

13. User of VM cannot be part of the password

The password article
    https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/virtual-machines/windows/faq

Is telling us what to do, but in fact it's missing an information
    - You cannot have the username in the password

So if your username is "Foo" the password cannot contain the word "Foo". If you are creating VMs with PowerShell in the Automation account it will create the VMs, but you won't be able to connect to them. If you change the password using the Azure Portal, it will throw an error.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

14. Improve the visibility of when Virtual Machine Image is from third party

The selection of images listed when creating a new VM currently list third party images with license agreements not visible in this context. Please improve the visibility of when this is the case, and highlight any information that will be shared with that third party.
    This suggestion is based on a Twitter discussion. I'll link this there and hopefully the OP will add additional information.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Linux  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. Improve the visibility of when Virtual Machine Image is from third party

The selection of images listed when creating a new VM currently list third party images with license agreements not visible in this context. Please improve the visibility of when this is the case, and highlight any information that will be shared with that third party.
    This suggestion is based on a Twitter discussion. I'll link this there and hopefully the OP will add additional information.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

16. Improve the visibility of when Virtual Machine Image is from third party

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Improve the visibility of when Virtual Machine Image is from third party

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Spot VM eviction events not being published to Event Grid

I'd like to set up an event grid subscription to capture spot VM evictions, but those eviction deallocation and/or delete events are not being published to Event Grid. Practically all other VM events (including manual deallocation, deletion, or simulated evictions) are sent to the event grid; please send these platform-initiated events to the grid too.

I have seen the documentation for VMs monitoring their own metadata service for scheduled eviction events, but that's not an acceptable solution for me; I need to be able to monitor these events from an outside service (via a queue or other handler from the…

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Bugs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. The AMD GPU Drivers still say 1809, when will 2004 be supported.

Can we get Windows 10 for AMD GPU support up to 2004 please.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Windows  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. introducing the NcsV3 GPU Machines in the South India region of Azure

We are currently want to leverage the usage of NCsV3 series GPU nodes in the AKS Cluster belonging to the South India region of Azure. Unfortunately due to the unavailability of such GPU Nodes in the South India Region we are not able to deploy our application in the South India region to utilize the GPU resources.

Although GPU Nodes are available in the Central India region we also need them in the South India region as well to have high Available/Backup AKS clusters in other regions as well using the GPUs.

Please arrange to bring inn NcsV3 GPU nodes…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  VMSS  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  • Don't see your idea?

Virtual Machines

Categories

Feedback and Knowledge Base