Update: Microsoft will be moving away from UserVoice sites on a product-by-product basis throughout the 2021 calendar year. We will leverage 1st party solutions for customer feedback. Learn more here.

Virtual Machines

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Github eklenti ön Belleği sürümü v1.1.0

Linux Github plug-in cache version for virtual environments

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Linux  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Give us a simple way to detect if our code is running in Azure

Quoted from this 5-year-old request https://feedback.azure.com/forums/34192--general-feedback/suggestions/15187134-give-us-a-simple-way-to-detect-if-our-code-is-runn

What I'd like to see is a single really simple way to detect whether my code is running inside or outside Azure.

I'd like this to work regardless of whether the code is running as a worker role, web site, web service or on an Azure VM, etc.

I'm actually a maintainer of a Microsoft-owned SDK, and I'd like to have this feature to facilitate such a detection in our SDK.

Brainstorming: can VM populate some a specific ENV VAR such as AZUREREGION=xyz, which can then be used as a flag to indicate

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Instance Metadata Service  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Why can not select NV v4 on Windows VDI in Azure Calculator?

I am trying to simulate the price of Windows VDI using Virtual machines NV v4 but these NV v4 are coming empty!!! Why???

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Bugs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Can't create VM with specified size from Azure powershell

There is a bug that can't let you create a vm with a specified size in the Azure Powershell (from portal.azure.com)
    If i type the same command line in my local powershell it creates the machine with a specified size without issues but the same command does not work in azure

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Bugs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. VMSS extension MicrosoftMonitoringAgent - is there a way to specify what needs to be logged?

I enabled logging metrics using the VMSS extension "MicrosoftMonitoringAgent", by enabling the metrics through the azure portal as a test. Now I get a very big list of logs which in my case are not necessary. Is there a way to specify what logs I do want? Since the logging will cost some money, I want to drill it down to only the logs I want it to log.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  VMSS  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. How do you enabled shared disk for an existing managed disk?

I read your article on how to enabled shared disk, but it only talks about creating a new disk with maxshares configured. How do you convert an existing disk to a shared disk? If it's not supported, can you put that in the article?

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Resize VM Confirmation Dialogue Box Missing

Currently, clicking the resize button directly starts the resize operation. It should rather show a dialog box or pop-up notification to confirm the resize operation.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. 1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

9. Make Code for InstanceViewStatus an enum in the API

I am using the vmss API, and working with the PowerState codes. In order to deal with this I have created my own consts that map to all of the PowerState codes here:
    https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/dotnet/api/microsoft.azure.management.compute.fluent.powerstate?view=azure-dotnet

However, it would be nice if I could use a list of values from the API instead of defining my own.

Code location for current API:
    azure-rest-api-specs/specification/compute/resource-manager/Microsoft.Compute/stable/2020-12-01/compute.json

Purely relying on documetion can be conflicting. For instance the documentation here does not contain the PowerState/unknown status:
    https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/dotnet/api/microsoft.azure.management.compute.fluent.powerstate?view=azure-dotnet

If this was implemented on its own this would require every other status within the statuses field to have its…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

10. Make PowerStatus its own member variable in VirtualMachineScaleSetVMInstanceView for the API

For the API, it would be nice to actually have the PowerState as a member variable inside of the following:
    azure-rest-api-specs/specification/compute/resource-manager/Microsoft.Compute/stable/2020-12-01/compute.json

It simply seems useful to have the PowerStatus at its own field not in the statuses if you always have one, so you don't have to go digging through the values in statuses each time in order to find the PowerStatus, and preform string matching to make sure you are grabbing the PowerStatus and not one of the other statuses.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

11. CloudServices on B-Series Burstable VM

Hello,

Apologies if this has already been covered (it doesn't seem to be).

In migrating a number of A-Series Classic Cloud Services to B-Series Burstable VMs, it appears that setting vmsize="Standard_B1s" for example is not allowed. The enumerated list in the properties pane for both WorkerRoles and WCF WebRoles also don't show any B-Series VMs.

Have I missed something or are Cloud Services not supported on B-Series VMs, and if so, why?

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Windows  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. Suggestion for VM script shell portal UI page

For the Script commands passed on the virtual machine "Run Command" page, it would be very useful to have an option so that enables script commands that run to be automatically cataloged and listed on as commands (a command history). Users frequent certain commands, could 'pin' them, modify them, etc more plainly. Basically this improvement would be even more useful as Up Arrow key in bASh. Thanks!

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

13. Automated Hot Add and Hot Removal of CPUs and Memory

Allow for the setting of thresholds for CPU and Memory utilization that would trigger the Hot Addtion (or Hot Removal) or vCPUs and vRAM from a virtual machine, for those Guest operating systems that support those functions.
    As other users below have stated, the whole point of virtualization is to pay for the consumption you need when you need it. Hyper-V and VMWare both support hot add CPU's/memory so why can't we do this in Azure? Requiring a reboot just at the time that you need to scale up is not practical. I can't scale out my current design due…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

14. GPU enabled instance support in Japan West

Please consider adding GPU instance support in Japan West.
    It's available in Japan East but we cannot easily migrate our service running on Azure Databricks.

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

15. Add-AzVMSecret missing option to make the private key exportable from Windows Certificate Store

Please add an option to import the certificate in Windows Certificate Store with the ability to export the private key.

Use case is for Azure to take care of adding the certificate to Windows Certificate Store, but to also be able to export the certificate locally because the certificate is needed with private key converted to other formats as well (e.g. PEM).

Bonus points: Make this available as an option in Azure Key Vault virtual machine extension (https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/virtual-machines/extensions/key-vault-windows) if that extension is using Add-AzVMSecret under the hood.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

16. Connect request should default to one's IP address

When you click on Connect to a VM with JIT access enabled, the default IP range is All Configured Addresses. That should change to 'My IP Address' as it reduces security vulnerabilities.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Invoke-AzVMRunCommand

I want to call this to sysprep from devops pipelines. But it runs only under SYSTEM which is not allowed for sysprep.
    Through this I can stay on public cloud agents for all my automation tasks

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Invoke-AzVMRunCommand

I want to call this to sysprep from devops pipelines. But it runs only under SYSTEM which is not allowed for sysprep.
    Through this I can stay on public cloud agents for all my automation tasks

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

19. VMSS automatic OS upgrades should support Gen2 images

There is nothing special abut the generation 2 images for Windows server. Features like automatic OS upgrades in virtual machine scale sets should support all operating systems, including Gen2 and Core images.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Use "az vm repair" extension to create repair VM with private IP only

A few months ago, I recommended az vm repair to help create a rescue vm. When running az vm repair create from the subscription, the operation fails because they had a policy to block Public IP addresses.

I propose an optional switch that gives the option to not give the repair VM a Public IP and to specify the pre-existing VNET you'd like to create the Repair VM on.

This way, the operation will complete on such a subscription and the VM will have a Private IP. Then depending on the user's setup (VPN, using another VM as a jump…

21 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

Virtual Machines

Categories

Feedback and Knowledge Base