Virtual Machines

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Improve RHEL 6 image

Can you change the yum configuration in RHEL 6 images?
    I can't even run `sudo yum update`. Please update the mirror sites.

Related issue: https://stackoverflow.com/questions/53436443/azure-redhat-vm-yum-update-fails-with-ssl-peer-rejected-your-certificate-as-exp

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Microsoft
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Linux  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for the valid suggestion. Your feedback is now open for the user community to upvote which allows us to effectively prioritize your request against our existing feature list and also gives us insight into the potential impact of implementing the suggested feature

2. Support for marketplace VMs that run custom OS

Provide a solution to update/install the mobility service agent/extension on a VM from the Markeplate with closed OS to perform the replication job - By close OS I mean that no one would be able to SSH to the VM

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Thanks for the valid suggestion. Your feedback is now open for the user community to upvote which allows us to effectively prioritize your request against our existing feature list and also gives us insight into the potential impact of implementing the suggested feature

3. Using M208s_v2 is super hard.

The necessary image for this vm instance is the GEN2 SUSE linux, and the documentation to install the azure cli fails for this instance and image combo.

Also, finding the correct image for this vm instance was not clear at all.

And trying to increase the volume disk size using the azure portal fails.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4. creation of public private key pairs on the portal

When deploying a new Linux based VM, create a shortcut to create a SSH keypair and download the private/public key straight from the portal... saves downloading puttygen or similar..

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5. I suggest you make Azure less complicated

, let users supply their own iso's with simple user interface and let users deploy their linux vm with a simple user interface like the way vmware is setup. I dont have to pick a group or container, I don't need this or that I just need the vmware software and an iso. That's why Linux and Microsoft have had such a difficult history of co op, linux is simple and straight forward little bells and whistles, Microsoft just adds layer and layer and layers of junk.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6. (Linux + d2_v2 + dedicated) Why not on Azure China ?

This link could lead you to think we may have it.
    https://docs.azure.cn/zh-cn/virtual-machines/linux/
    The same way we have it with Azure Global.
    But no! Why is that Microsoft cannot have a standard offer and impose its subcontractors (here 21Vianet) to match the Standard?
    My coffees at Starbucks and Costa in Shanghai respect the respective standards.
    Thank you to urge this matter as we are now forced to consider AWS just to host our VMs with Ubuntu.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7. Requesting to consider and develop option to migrate the inplace os upgrade for both Linux and Windows. For Example RHEL 6.x to 7.x etc...

Requesting to consider and develop option to migrate the inplace os upgrade for both Linux and Windows. For Example RHEL 6.x to 7.x etc...

This is a genric future plan or view any clients would have and this blockage in cloud is some way blocking the plans for few clients.

Please consider.
    JD
    jayadeava.b@tcs.com

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. Save ssh public key in azure profile

When creating a Linux virtual machine in Azure, there is a choice of authentication type between password and ssh public key. When selecting the ssh public key, I have to paste in my public key. Everytime, I do this, I have to look up my public key, and cut and paste it into the dialog box. Please allow us to store multiple keys within our azure profile, and simply select the keys (plural) we wish to have included in the authorized-keys file.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. Allow encrypted Linux OS disk settings to persist through generalization and image creation

Allow Linux encrypted OS disk settings to persist through generalization and image creation to avoid having to wait hours or days for a new virtual machine to be encrypted after deployment.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. In order to bring your own linux license, Linux VM has to be built from command line, instead of GUI.

Microsoft should have better communication to let end-user know it.
    Thanks.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. Ephemeral OS disk for B-Series SKUs

We need Ephemeral OS disks for B-Series SKUs. We use B-Series SKUs extensively in our labs while production deployments mostly use E(S)_v3 and D(S)_v2/3 SKUs.

With the current limitation, we can't deploy Ephemeral OS disks in our production deployments as we can't test them in our labs without incurring significant cost for using the more expensive D/E SKUs.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. Clone VM without sacrificing the original to the "sysprep" gods

I often set up Linux VMs with attached disks, and need to 1-click clone the VM to make new ones for parallel work.

For some reason Azure requires us to prepare the VM for a ritual sacrifice with "sysprep" or something, and destroying the original magically makes a clone-able VM. If I need to make modifications I have to re-deploy and then re-sacrifice again. This seems way too complicated.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. The monitoring of blob-fuse mounted on Linux server through azure OMS

How to alert on unmounted blob fuse drive on linux VM though OMS monitoring solution.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. Display VM Image information in the portal

When creating Azure Compute Resources you need to specify the following Parameters in order to request a VM:

Offer
    Publisher
    Sku

Getting this information can be very hard because these information are only displayed in the "Export template" section after you created them.

I think, that it would be way better if we could fetch these Information from the Marketplace Item page. (See attached picture)

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. 'AADLoginForLinux' extension should create an AAD device

AADLoginForLinux extension should create an AAD device so there isn't any hard dependency on realmd.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. New-AzureRmVm ` -ResourceGroupName "MyResourceGroup" ` -Name "TestVm" ` -Image "UbuntuLTS" ...

New-AzureRmVm `
    -ResourceGroupName "MyResourceGroup" `
    -Name "TestVm" `
    -Image "UbuntuLTS"

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Make Ubuntu VM NVMe storage mounting more robust

I experience periodically that, when I start a storage-optimized Ubuntu VM (size L32s), the NVMe disk is not mounted. When I try `sudo mount /mnt`, I get: `mount: /mnt: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/sdb1, missing codepage or helper program, or other error.` and no obvious way to fix this. Other times, the machine starts and the disk is mounted fine. No obvious pattern. Please make mounting more robust.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Create way to do adhoc backup policy to create an image of VM and name the policy or image.

I have done a lengthy install on RHEL 7 VM in which I would like to create an image as a new starting point. The next install I will be doing requires all these dependencies and it's very time consuming. I can go and do a backup and restore of the VM of a given date but there is no way to do an adhoc backup and call that my "gold image" or some unique name so I"ll know that's my starting point. I guess I could use clonezilla, kickstart or docker to create the image but it would be…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Allow setting dns name server at VM provision time

Allow setting dns name server at VM provision time. On Linux VMs it is currently necessary to modify the /etc/dhcp/dhclient.conf to supersede the reddog.microsoft.com search domain that gets set by Azure. Being able to configure this at provision would make the DHCP/DNS process moer similar to the way AWS and GKE provision their VMs.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Linux  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. unable to see pricing for some images

Customers are unable to see the pricing for some images while creating the VM. Example Canonical Ubuntu images. Although, the images are free. It would great for the customers to see the price as free rather than to see " Pricing unavailable for these images.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

← Previous 1 3 4 5
  • Don't see your idea?

Virtual Machines

Categories

Feedback and Knowledge Base