Update: Microsoft will be moving away from UserVoice sites on a product-by-product basis throughout the 2021 calendar year. We will leverage 1st party solutions for customer feedback. Learn more here.

Virtual Machines

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Resize VM Confirmation Dialogue Box Missing

Currently, clicking the resize button directly starts the resize operation. It should rather show a dialog box or pop-up notification to confirm the resize operation.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. 1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

3. Make Code for InstanceViewStatus an enum in the API

I am using the vmss API, and working with the PowerState codes. In order to deal with this I have created my own consts that map to all of the PowerState codes here:
    https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/dotnet/api/microsoft.azure.management.compute.fluent.powerstate?view=azure-dotnet

However, it would be nice if I could use a list of values from the API instead of defining my own.

Code location for current API:
    azure-rest-api-specs/specification/compute/resource-manager/Microsoft.Compute/stable/2020-12-01/compute.json

Purely relying on documetion can be conflicting. For instance the documentation here does not contain the PowerState/unknown status:
    https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/dotnet/api/microsoft.azure.management.compute.fluent.powerstate?view=azure-dotnet

If this was implemented on its own this would require every other status within the statuses field to have its…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  VMSS  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Make PowerStatus its own member variable in VirtualMachineScaleSetVMInstanceView for the API

For the API, it would be nice to actually have the PowerState as a member variable inside of the following:
    azure-rest-api-specs/specification/compute/resource-manager/Microsoft.Compute/stable/2020-12-01/compute.json

It simply seems useful to have the PowerStatus at its own field not in the statuses if you always have one, so you don't have to go digging through the values in statuses each time in order to find the PowerStatus, and preform string matching to make sure you are grabbing the PowerStatus and not one of the other statuses.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

5. CloudServices on B-Series Burstable VM

Hello,

Apologies if this has already been covered (it doesn't seem to be).

In migrating a number of A-Series Classic Cloud Services to B-Series Burstable VMs, it appears that setting vmsize="Standard_B1s" for example is not allowed. The enumerated list in the properties pane for both WorkerRoles and WCF WebRoles also don't show any B-Series VMs.

Have I missed something or are Cloud Services not supported on B-Series VMs, and if so, why?

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Windows  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Suggestion for VM script shell portal UI page

For the Script commands passed on the virtual machine "Run Command" page, it would be very useful to have an option so that enables script commands that run to be automatically cataloged and listed on as commands (a command history). Users frequent certain commands, could 'pin' them, modify them, etc more plainly. Basically this improvement would be even more useful as Up Arrow key in bASh. Thanks!

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

7. Automated Hot Add and Hot Removal of CPUs and Memory

Allow for the setting of thresholds for CPU and Memory utilization that would trigger the Hot Addtion (or Hot Removal) or vCPUs and vRAM from a virtual machine, for those Guest operating systems that support those functions.
    As other users below have stated, the whole point of virtualization is to pay for the consumption you need when you need it. Hyper-V and VMWare both support hot add CPU's/memory so why can't we do this in Azure? Requiring a reboot just at the time that you need to scale up is not practical. I can't scale out my current design due…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

8. GPU enabled instance support in Japan West

Please consider adding GPU instance support in Japan West.
    It's available in Japan East but we cannot easily migrate our service running on Azure Databricks.

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

9. Add-AzVMSecret missing option to make the private key exportable from Windows Certificate Store

Please add an option to import the certificate in Windows Certificate Store with the ability to export the private key.

Use case is for Azure to take care of adding the certificate to Windows Certificate Store, but to also be able to export the certificate locally because the certificate is needed with private key converted to other formats as well (e.g. PEM).

Bonus points: Make this available as an option in Azure Key Vault virtual machine extension (https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/virtual-machines/extensions/key-vault-windows) if that extension is using Add-AzVMSecret under the hood.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

10. Connect request should default to one's IP address

When you click on Connect to a VM with JIT access enabled, the default IP range is All Configured Addresses. That should change to 'My IP Address' as it reduces security vulnerabilities.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

11. Invoke-AzVMRunCommand

I want to call this to sysprep from devops pipelines. But it runs only under SYSTEM which is not allowed for sysprep.
    Through this I can stay on public cloud agents for all my automation tasks

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

12. Invoke-AzVMRunCommand

I want to call this to sysprep from devops pipelines. But it runs only under SYSTEM which is not allowed for sysprep.
    Through this I can stay on public cloud agents for all my automation tasks

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

13. VMSS automatic OS upgrades should support Gen2 images

There is nothing special abut the generation 2 images for Windows server. Features like automatic OS upgrades in virtual machine scale sets should support all operating systems, including Gen2 and Core images.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

14. Use "az vm repair" extension to create repair VM with private IP only

A few months ago, I recommended az vm repair to help create a rescue vm. When running az vm repair create from the subscription, the operation fails because they had a policy to block Public IP addresses.

I propose an optional switch that gives the option to not give the repair VM a Public IP and to specify the pre-existing VNET you'd like to create the Repair VM on.

This way, the operation will complete on such a subscription and the VM will have a Private IP. Then depending on the user's setup (VPN, using another VM as a jump…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

15. Hacked Virtual Machine.

my virtual machine was hacked through the remote desktop interface, i am asking for microsoft to scan the VM and block the attackers ip address, and scan the device for vulnerabilities.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

16. Ensure that out-of-the-box VMs comply with the Security Center recommendations

I have been running a Windows Server 2019 Datacenter VM for about a year, and it has recently gone live. Having got the applications running, I have looked more closely at the Security Center reports and discovered lots of remediation needed. Why is that necessary? Surely the image could have all those issues corrected before it is deployed?

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Windows  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. Create Virtual Machine > Image > List a current version of Windows 10! Shows out of support version!

When you go to create a new Virtual Machine, the only desktop option on the Basics page under Image is Win 10 Pro 1809. If you want to find a current version, the "See all images" page is actually REALLY hard for people to use to find a current version of Win 10 Pro or Enterprise (I've had this come up in new employee onboarding in literally every session). 1809 stopped getting security updates back in November of 2020 - over 4 months ago!

Please update the Image pick list to include both Win 10 Pro 20H1 and Win 10…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Bugs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. More supported setting names for Add-AzVMAdditionalUnattendContent

Currently the Add-AzVMAdditionalUnattendContent command only supports injecting "AutoLogon" and "FirstLogonCommands" settings for the "Microsoft-Windows-Shell-Setup" unattend component.

This needs expanding to support the "Microsoft-Windows-International-Core" unattend component which would allow setting of the region/locale and language.

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Windows  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. By making it more acceesible for people that doesn't know much about what does virtualization means.

I think people with no knowledge about virtualization or emulation will be kinda lost in these modules. They need easier-to-understand references to be able to fully comprehend the depth of this type of knowledge.

I am having a blast learning, but I think other people won't be having the same expirience as I do.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

20. By making it more acceesible for people that doesn't know much about what does virtualization means.

I think people with no knowledge about virtualization or emulation will be kinda lost in these modules. They need easier-to-understand references to be able to fully comprehend the depth of this type of knowledge.

I am having a blast learning, but I think other people won't be having the same expirience as I do.

0 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

← Previous 1 3 4 5 85 86
  • Don't see your idea?

Virtual Machines

Categories

Feedback and Knowledge Base