Virtual Machines

How can we improve Azure Virtual Machines?

(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Shrink Managed disk

I'd like the ability to shrink a managed disk.

I'm creating a managed image from a marketplace windows server base, installing a bunch of third party software and using DevTest labs and VSTS to automate the build of a base image that I use for a large number of VM deployments.

The managed disks created from my image are 128gb of which I use about 40gb. I'd like to shrink the managed disk used in the image to 64gb so the VMs I deploy from my image fit in the S6 managed disk pricing bracket.

87 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Microsoft
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Support upgrading existing Azure VM with Windows Server 2012 R2 to Windows Server 2016

How do I go about upgrading existing Azure VM with Windows Server 2012 R2 to Windows Server 2016? It seems like a big issue for many companies for adopting Windows Server 2016 in Microsoft Azure.

"Microsoft server software support for Microsoft Azure virtual machines" article still states "Microsoft does not support an upgrade of the operating system of a Microsoft Azure virtual machine. Instead, you should create a new Azure virtual machine that is running the supported version of the operating system that is required and then migrate the workload."

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/2721672/microsoft-server-software-support-for-microsoft-azure-virtual-machines

Please support this scenario. Thanks

90 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Windows  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Ability to Hibernate VMs to support DevTest workflos

The new DevTest Azure portal feature has the ability to turn off VMs on a schedule to support dev/testing without breaking the budget. It would be nice if the VMs could be hibernated instead so that developers would not lose their development sessions/window settings etc. when they start off in the morning. But I understand that the ability to hibernate VMs in Azure is not currently a core feature that exists. It would be very nice if that feature could be added. I'm sure there are other use cases where VM hibernation could be very handy too.

132 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20 comments  ·  Windows  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. USB devices are not supported in Azure VMs

USB devices, like flash drives or hardware security dongles, would be useful to have present in the remote VMs. For example, support for dongle-controlled security for applications would then be possible.

40 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Windows  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. rename vm

Add the ability to rename a VM. The VM name is what appears in Azure, not the DNS name.

Changing a VM's name should not affect the VM in any way. If you need a unique identifier for a VM that does not change, I suggest using a GUID rather than the VM's name in Azure.

668 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

94 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. RDP through browser

RDP through browser http
    Mostly RDP ports or blocked in enterprise networks. Launching rdp client is therefor not usefull. However doing RDP over http like teamviewer enables rdp in these situations.

9 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

under review  ·  3 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Allow to create VM without starting it immediatelly

Sometimes I want to create VM and immediatelly set additional configuration like attachng additional disk, set static IP via powersell. Today when I create it I need to wait for it to be provisioned/started, then shutdown it and wait and finally I can do some additional settings. Also when recreating deleted VMs which had previously attached disks (SQL server, domain controller) it first starts with disks missing which can even break stuff. Please add additional checkbox/flag to portal/powershell when creating VM so that it is not started/provisioned immediatelly.

37 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. add the ability to create a VM and install an OS (Linux/Windows) from an .ISO

It would be great to be able to stand up a VM w/ my hardware requirements and mount an .iso of the OS that I want to install. This is how Hyper V and vCenter works. We would upload the OS .ISO to a datastore, give the new VM access to the indicated datastore, and use the .ISO that is on the datastore as a bootable OS.

This way we could install custom linux OS's or other versions of windows (e.g. server 2008 R2 Standard x64)

59 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Add Dedicated Instances

Amazon AWS has the option to have Dedicated Instances for an increased charge, which means your VMs run on single tenant hardware instead of being shared with other Amazon customers. I suggest that Microsoft needs to add this feature to Azure. We have customers demanding that our service be run in an environment not shared by others. Here is the link to the Amazon offering for comparison purposes.

http://aws.amazon.com/ec2/purchasing-options/dedicated-instances/

49 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. Real Checkpoints - not VM Images

Checkpoints, as they are in Hyper-V and NOT VM Images as announced at Teched and already in production.

VM Images are not really the solution:

1. Amazon stores only the bits that have changed since the last snapshot, not again the whole machine.
    If a have a server with TBs of data and checkpoint the virtual machine, why should I have to pay for the storage twice?
    2. For a quick restore of the checkpoint, we would have to deploy the VM Image - no real solution in relation to how normal Hyper-V checkpoints work.

14 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Windows  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Allow shutdown from VM to deallocated state

Allow regular shutdown inside VM to go always to Stopped(deallocated) state. This could be a flag set per VM just like static IP. Or it could be even default in Azure, why there is the Stopped state anyway?

10 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. Scheduled start/stops of VMs

Add a feature to Azure that allows the user to schedule a VM to start and/or stop at a certain date and time. This feature should be similar to a scheduled task in Windows.

If it's possible to do this with a scheduled task and some PowerShell scripts/cmdlets, let me know. But I do not think that would be as optimal as having this feature built into Azure because Azure frequently takes 15 minutes to allocate hardware to a VM before starting it up.

Ideally, an Azure management portal interface would allow the user to pick a time to start…

39 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. Set Locale on creating VM

Most people in the world do not use en-US as their locale which means the passwords they create on their own machine do not function as expected when on the VM as the VM interprets the keyboard layout into en-US. Even en-GB has problems where the @ is created using a different shift-key combination.

31 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. share disks between Virtual Machines

It would be nice a way to attach the same disk to multiple virtual machines. There are some products that need to write information in disk. To enable availability you add more virtual machines, but the product won't replicate information. To solve this, an easy way would be point Vm's to write and share the same disk.

14 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. Provide a Notes section for virtual machine

It would be nice if we could have a Notes section on each virtual machine so that we note some comments on a machine (domain name, admin account, date of last backup...

13 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We have considered this. I wonder whether a simple Key-Value tagging would meet your needs here? This is something in our plans.

16. Microsoft Endpoint Protection for Azure (Antivirus) Management Service as a Service

It's great that we now can deploy the "System Center Endpoint Protection" client directly during provisioning using the new VM extensions, but we are still missing a management tool for managing policies and monitoring. Microsoft should provide the Microsoft Endpoint Protection antivirus product as a service or independent product that doesn't rely on System Center licensing model.

Many customers doesn't want to maintain complex infrastructures like System Center Configuration Manager or System Center Operations Manager. The requirement of System Center Advisor to have the integration with OpsMgr to get the benefits of the Security Intelligence Packs is great for System…

10 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Production / Staging VM

Provide a way to group VMs into production / staging environment. Somehow like the production / staging environments of cloud services.

288 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. Ensure Virtual Machine GenerationID does not change over a Shut Down and Start pair of operations

Microsoft invented the VM GenerationID as a means of determining when an important VM transition event has occured. As per Microsoft's paper on the subject, the GenerationID of a guest should not change on restart or migrate operations. This works fine directly on Hyper-V, but an Azure managed VM will see a GenerationID change when the VM is Shut Down then Started (as two separate operations, a single 'Restart' operation does not change the GenerationID). Incidentally, the virtual SMBIOS UUID also changes during this operation, which is wrong too (SMBIOS UUID should change only on a clone operation).
    I imagine…

22 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. search by ip

It would be nice to search/filter virtual machines in the azure portal by IP number

77 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. Dynamic Memory - pay for what you use

On premise we use Dynamic RAM on Hyper-V. It would be useful if the same applied for Virtual Machines on azure and we pay based on the amount of RAM used.

This makes choosing the VM size easier and makes things more cost effective over a period of time.

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

This is tricky to offer given some of the bin-packing needs of offering a public cloud service. We will continue to investigate the possibility of doing something like this.

← Previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8
  • Don't see your idea?

Virtual Machines

Feedback and Knowledge Base