Virtual Machines

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Time of Scheculed Maintenance for Windows Azure VMs.

I'm posting this on behalf of my customer who contacted us for a scheduled maintenance which was supposed to affect single instance deployments of Windows Azure Virtual Machines which Microsoft scheduled on December 6, 2013 at 1500 hrs EST US. First of all, Friday, 1500 hrs is not at all off hours when any maintenance should be scheduled. Considering that this is Holiday season and there are 100s of 1000s online websites/businesses which are at their peak time of the year, no one can afford any downtime during this time. Customer contacted Microsoft for rescheduling it to first week of…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Microsoft
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

I really appreciate the feedback and agree we need to continue to make improvements in our planned maintenance progress.

2. Create SQL Cluster VMs

I went to test SQL High Availability or Always On, it is too complicated to setup all. If there is a Wizard which will straight install SQL cluster up and running with multiple VMs sharing same storage and datacenter would be helpful.

If there are pre configured services like,

1. SQL Cluster (number of nodes)

2. SQL Replicated VMs, First Primary, Second Merge Replicator or whatever. We can choose number of replicators.

3. Setup two VMs or more with Mirroring, Replication, Logshipping etc, all configured once and up and running.

4. Auto log backup SQL to Azure Storage every 15 mins with daily full…
    9 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Windows  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. SQL Server 2012 Web on Windows Server 2012 R2

Is anyone looking at it at all? Support guys forward here and looks for weeks no body even looks this.

In a week time we have to finalize between Amazon and Azure,

Amazon offers more combination then Azure for Windows VMs !!! Isn't this an irony?

Also default SQL Server already installs Data folder in C Drive, well this requires uninstalling and reinstalling SQL, because C drive uses caching which is not supposed to be used by SQL as recommended by MSDN and leaving master, tempdb all on C drive?

Instead why not offer SQL Installer without installation on Windows…

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Make contacting support easier

Azure clearly has some serious bugs. But the current process of contacting support to report these bugs sucks. We're supposed to sign up for a support subscription to tell you that your software is broken. Seriously?!?! Worse still, Microsoft is breaching their SLA's as a result. I can't wait for the class action lawsuit against Microsoft Azure.

I'd love to see a real support process that would enable regular paying users can report problems.

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5. Need much better upload speed

A deal breaker seems to be slow upload speed of large data (ca. <200 kB/s from Finland). Our application requires bulk transfer of large (100s GBs) data sets. Our Internet connections normally to most sites report 1000-1500 kB/s speeds).
    Import/Export device service doesn't seem to be available in Europe and seems to be a laborius option.

9 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Windows  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Change teh terminology of Shutdown vs Shutdown (deallocate)

I think the terminology of shutting down a VM from the Portal is confusing. At this point it looks like if I do a Shutdown it actually deallocates the VM and I lose the IP address. Can we not have a differentiation between shutting down the VM and actually deallocating the VM? Not sure if that makes sense but what I want is a way to shut down the VM from the admin portal without losing the IP address. Also even after I shutdown the VM from the within the VM the status still says running instead of Shutdown. This…

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7. Templates in a location should get that regional time setting. Not the US. There are other time zones!

Templates in a location (eg. Hong Kong) should get that regional time setting. Not the US. There are other time zones!

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks, Aaron. You can pass into PowerShell and REST the timezone you want your VM deployed as. I think the feedback to do this via the portal is also good.

8. Get performance log data by API, currentry displayed in portal

performance log data ( CPU usage, network IO, disk IO ) API
    original data of graph displayed in portal ,

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Linux  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Virtual Machines Disks view must show disk size

In Virtual Machines when you switch to Disks view, it’s very useful to show each disk size! I mean a new column with this important information.
    Please, this is a simple information, but helps a lot.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Windows  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Virtual Machines Disks view must show disk size

In Virtual Machines when you switch to Disks view, it’s very useful to show each disk size! I mean a new column with this important information.
    Please, this is a simple information, but helps a lot.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. Improve the way VHD files are visually associated with VMs in Management Portal

Every Virtual Machine is associated to a VHD, but when we have multiple Virtual Machines in the same subscription, it becomes extremely difficult to identify the VHD linked to a particular Virtual Machine in the subscription.

Personally, I will add more information on storage item to correctly and sharply inform the user. I will also set filters on the UI to list only VHD storage items already used by VM (stopped and/or running)

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. Additional monitoring points for Virtual Machines

I would like to be able to monitor and setup notifications for problems such as low disk space on virtual machines. This is particularly important for machines that were created when the C drive was only 30GB.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. Create a new patched instance and auto swap instead of bringing down single instance production deployments

When running a single instance every so often the instance will go down for patching. The instance appears as "VM Stopped" for a period of time, then comes back.

Rather than forcing downtime to a production role, why not spin up a patched version of the instance then swap it in for the unpatched instance, and delete the old one?

MS documentation already points out the instances can be created and destroyed at any time, so we've already created our apps in a way that can handle such scenarios. Applying the patches this way will save the downtime (we've observed…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

One complexity here is because these instances are persistent, creating a snapped copy might be tricky or impossible.

Is this something that could be enabled with Auto-Scale?

14. Provide single VM instance RDS capability

Standalone RDS (RemoteApp and VDI) is only available for Windows Server 2008 R2 and not for Windows Server 2012. Server 2012 requires active directory and also will not allow it to be installed on the same VM as RDS. Please provide the capability to run all services needed for RDS on a single Windows Server 2012 VM.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. VS 2010 Guest VM Role: Runs VSw/AzureTools: Allows sandbox development via RDP.

I'd like to deploy a special role that would provide me access to a endpoint I can connect to via Remote Desktop. When I login, I'd like a Virtual Visual Studio with Azure Tools, that has a XDrive (configured via configuration) so I can do all my Azure Development without ever having to install a thing. I'll pay monthly for the compute time I use developing, and the storage to keep my projects (via XDrive).

29 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. add the ability to use preconfigure iso images like Amazon in VM role

Give the ability in VM role to use a preconfigure iso image, like the one Amazon has available.It will make easier to use and work with the VM role

27 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. Provide indication of OS type when viewing Virtual Machine list and instance details.

Provide an icon or some other visual indicator of the type of operating system the Virtual Machine instance is running. This would be helpful on both the page listing all VMs, as well in the 'quick glance' section when viewing a specific VM.

9 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Make Windows Azure Powershell CmdLets available by Default

The Windows Azure Powershell Commandlets are very powerful and would be a welcome addition to the Guest OS.

8 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. RDP which works also with Mac OS X

I tried many Mac RDP clients but none of them could connect to the Azure instances, maybe because of the special load balancer settings within the azure RDP file.

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Windows  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. Bring Citrix onboard Azure, Citrix is on AWS already

As a Citrix Service Provider we need cloud computing platforms to host our customer's environments. We need to be able to host standalone and multitenented environments. Hurry up as AWS is already ahead and they already have many Citrix partners and businesses running their Citrix infrastructure on AWS. Don't miss this boat MS.

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

Virtual Machines

Categories

Feedback and Knowledge Base