Virtual Machines

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Fix the incorrect IP's assigned to VM's

It appears new VM's are bing assigned IP's that are geolocated or identified in the wrong regions. In the most recent case, a US-East VM is being detected as coming from Brazil.

IP's should be selectable/changeable from the Admin Portal.

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Microsoft
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Reduce cloud costs with Shared virtual cores for Developers and Testers

In Azure the smaller configurations of Virtual Machines (either Windows or Linux) are:

Extra Small (A0) 1 Virtual Core shared 768 MB RAM
    Small (A1) 1 Virtual Core 1.75 GB RAM
    Medium (A2) 2 Virtual Cores 3.5 GB RAM

You can note that Extra-Small is the only configuration with shared virtual core.

Due to SQLServer requires a minimum of 1 GB of RAM, "Extra Small" has no enought size for running IIS and SQL Server.

The "shared virtual core" option is less expensive because you pay ONLY when your VM is consuming cycles of CPU (in other words, when App…

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. 1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Linux  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Please share more details on what was hard and what didn’t work!! We are VERY passionate to make this better. Please help us. :)

Corey

4. acl order bug

the endpoint acl rules display with a wrong order number, if i use rest api or powershell to change the order number of some rules, it will still display the old number~~

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Windows  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Tiered compute power, analogous to current RAM tiers.

Azure workloads are not all memory limited, nor can every job be easily refactored into a hadoop-like task. Based on current tests, it appears that the available processors are a great deal slower than personal budget laptops for various tasks.

Offering a blend of CPU/Memory options, or even a load balancer selection that uses auto-scale out based on compute bound or memory bound tasks would be a game changer.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6. Estimated monthly Fees Visible on VMs from gallery

When creating a VM from Gallery it mentions that they are special configurations and additional fees apply, but it does nto tell you which fees. Make it easier to see what fees may actually apply.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7. How about the dynamic port mapping details

If a socket connection not active in more than 4 minutes, why the port mapping clear in windows azure vms

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. Add more VM size options

The new A5, A6 are great but too expensive. I need something in between. I need a 4 core 14gb option. In addition, the prices you charge for more RAM seem steep. High end 16GB DIMMS cost $250., you basically charge that PER MONTH for the privilege of getting more RAM. It just seems out of whack.

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks, Aaron. We will take a look at this. Do the BASIC sizes allow you to have a bit more flexibility in the pricing?

9. Enable possibility to enable Hyper V on Azure servers

Hi,

I want to learn how to work with Hyper-V. I deployed 2 Server 2012 DC but it is not possible to install Hyper-V as a service to learn how to finetune / debug Hyper-V issues.

The solution at this moment is to launch VMware ESX and deploy Hyper-V under ESX.
    I think this can be improved for Azure -> I need IaaS on Azure to decommission my old hardware test lab.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Thanks, Jan. This is actually a limitation of HyperV itself. WE will keep this in mind as we look at future versions of Windows.

10. Make it possible to download a compressed (zip?) vhd instead of the full vhd

Make it possible to download a compressed (zip?) vhd instead of the full vhd. Now I have to download the whole vhd and not just the bits that are actually used.

18 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Windows  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We are thinking of enabling an easy way to download a dynamic VHD to reduce the download size, if that helps? Unfortunately, I don’t think VHD files compress that well.

11. Develop VM images, server types (i.e. high CPU core #), specifically for CPU cryptocurrency mining.

The mining software could be compiled and set up and updated for the most popular CPU cryptocurrencies (e.g., HeavyCoin HVC, Primecoin XPM, Riecoin RIC, etc.). The VM images could be developed for ease-of-use for non Linux savvy users who are interested in delving into crypto mining. There are many profitable services who sell Bitcoin or Litecoin cloud mining services, so Windows Azure could develop a line of CPU mining services to make it easy, since the infrastructure is already in place.

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. Oracle Database VM for BizSpark Subscribers

I want to ask that if it Oracle Database VM is not for Biz Spark subscribers then why it is displaying in our VM list?
    Do you think that it is a good practice that first you give option to your customers to create oracle DB VM then ask him to delete that VM ignoring that he have some saved work in that VM.
    I think this is your system bug.

Thanks

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. whole disk encryption

the ability to have an HSM solution outside Azure while securing at the disk level - all resources and including databases.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Thanks for the feedback. We just announced partnerships with Trend Micro to enable some encryption solution. This may meet your needs.

14. Enterprise Administrative Services Suggestion for Azure Portal: http://tinyurl.com/m72bdwl

You can read a single page suggestions at: http://tinyurl.com/m72bdwl

Here is the overview of the content in the document noted above (and attached):

The Value is Here, Please Read All

After having an issue where I was unable to RDP into my VM I was very limited as to what I could manager via the Azure Portal. One item which would be very useful with or without RDP is a system services manager (i.e. Admin Tools > Services), so you can manage running services, turn on/off/restart and set manual, automatic, disabled. This is THE standard GO TO Management Tool as…

9 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

This is a really nice idea. With our recent launch of the VM Agent in Virtual Machines, I think this is something we could likely enable. Let us spend some time thinking through this design.

15. Offer spot requests, similar to AWS

This is a significant advantage in the AWS offering. Using EC2 spot requests my effective price is much lower than in Azure.

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. Make creating virtual machines faster

I should be able to create a new virtual machine from the gallery and have it up an running in < 1 minute.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

under review  ·  Varun Maker responded

Thanks for the feedback, Alan. I am guessing your feedback is more around improving the performance of the VM creation rather than the functionality, correct? I ask because the functionality already exists today.

Just so that you are aware, this forum is for Cloud Services. We also have a Virtual Machines community (http://feedback.windowsazure.com/forums/216843-virtual-machines) where you can find answers to all Virtual Machine related questions.

17. Allow BuzzTouch users to self host on his own website, a dedicated server, or an instance in Visual Studio or Windows Azure Store

Allow BuzzTouch users to self host on his own website, a dedicated server, or an instance in Visual Studio or Windows Azure Store without complex modifications.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Linux  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. More Memory Needed in Entry-Level Subscription Plan

I am looking into Azure to host our point of sale software. After looking at the pricing, we realize that to serve just 1 user of our software, it will require at the minimum a "Small VM" subscription plan with 1.75GB of RAM in order to cope with some operations particularly resource-hungry report generation. And this would cost us $66.96/month.

At that rate after adding a profit margin for administrating the server and other stuff on our side, the end-user would end up with a price tag that continues to render the traditional localised system a more compelling option.

There…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. RDP into virtual machines within portal

Allow me to remote into a virtual machine from within the portal, from any browser or client.

9 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

under review  ·  1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. Give us the ability to load windows 7, pos read 7, windows 8, windows 8.1

When it comes down to it those of us who actually use the msdn and the services, want to run and test both client and server builds, giving us access to client hardware that is on the same network as our servers would be excellent. I am in a hurting to install 2 or 3 clients windows 8.1 and pos read7 to do some actual testing. I know I can upload my own image file but it is overly inconvenient. since i have to down load the os from your servers and then convert the vhd and re-upload, when installing…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Windows  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  • Don't see your idea?

Virtual Machines

Categories

Feedback and Knowledge Base