Virtual Machines

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. VM available as Thin client

Virtual Machine availability as Thin client .
    so that user can open Virtual Machine in IE .

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Microsoft
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

under review  ·  0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Have a 16 core vm with 16gb of ram for cpu intensive workloads

The current 16 core vm ' s come with huge amounts of ram and are very pricey. I would like a 16 core vm with 16gb of ram for less memory intensive but high cpu loads

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. 1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

under review  ·  0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. both onpremises and Azure VMs should be able to join domain from WAAD. User login acconts should connect with WAAD like liveID Accounts.

Currently WAAD is just a passive copy of on premises AD. Which gets information through DirSync. But neither can Azure VMs connect to that and join its VMs to that AD and also users with windows 8 cannot connect their login accounts to WAAD accounts like they can with liveID accounts. I suggest even end users laptops should as well connect to WAAD account so that machines can get the policy from WAAD. WAAD should increase the reachout of onpremises AD, instead of just being a passive copy

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5. win2003

Allow legacy win2003 servers to execute in Azure

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Windows  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Create a step by step guide on which order to create cloud server, VPN, and VMs

There must be an order you create site-to-site VPNs, cloud services and virtual machines. I have not found a clear step by step document on this. (I guess I could write it.... :) It is clear you must create the VPN first. How do I move resources around? Can I move resources between cloud services? etc....

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. 4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. Custom language for virtual machines

I want to have Windows Server 2012 in german because when I create a Server to convince someone to switch to the new version for Windows Server it is much easier to explain when the virtual machine is in our own language. I tried many things like creating my own local virtual machine with a german image in Hyper-V, sysprep it and upload it but this didn't work. So it would be very cool to choose your own language in the "Create" process. Beacuse the images are already available in the MSDN.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. Virtual Machine with Visual Studio & SQL Express on it

I love the idea of developing in the cloud and as a developer who is just gettting started I would like to have an image that has Visual Studio Express on it along with SQL Express. This would allow me to quickly get going, get money then buy a MSDN :-)

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. Partner with Dell and HP to create Azure/Cloud datacenters to help sell and integrate on-site Dell and HP Windows based servers

Partner with Dell and HP to create Azure/Cloud datacenters to help sell and integrate on-site Dell and HP Windows based servers with Azure Cloud.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. virtual machines column showing user that created

when you create a virtual machine and then revisit mgmt. portal view you have no idea who created that virtual machine, and on what date.

for team shared azure subscriptions this is really important as users don't want to have to bury this kind of information into virtual machine names.

we need it so we can track down who has an a8/a9 virtual machine that's been left running for the past week, or who has a stuck one that needs to be deleted.

we also need the last started/stopped date column view so we can determine if something basically hasn't…

9 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Windows  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Once we have more AAD integration into the creation and management of VMs, this will be possible. Stay tuned as we dig in here.

12. Support OLAP

Azure really ought to support an OLAP service. HDInsight/Hadoop are, well, OK, I guess, for offline reporting on distributed datasets, but they're a heck of a long ways from the ease-of-use, speed, and realtime analysis that you get with OLAP and MDX.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. Portal option to "Add/Remove from load balancer"

Please allow a portal user to pick an instance and remove it immediately from the load balancer.

This can be helpful in a production environment when you want to take an instance out of use so you can perform an upgrade or perform diagnostics on it.

Currently you'd need to edit an endpoint monitor to return a non-200 response.

The ability to then finish your maintenance work and then "Re-add to load balancer" would be necessary.

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hey Andrew,

You can do this today using the probes from within the VMs. I suspect you want to do it directly from the portal in the same way as the probes, yes?

Corey

14. Bug: Failed to delete the virtual machine.

I had two VMs in a Cloud Service named DC1 and DC2

I deleted DC1 and then tried to delete DC2, each time checking the "Disks" box for items to also delete.

DC1 deleted successfully, and DC2 errored with this message:
    Failed to delete the virtual machine.

That's it. I guessed it's because DC2 was the last VM in the Cloud Service.

The second time I tried to delete the VM, I noticed the Cloud Service was also selectable in the "other items to delete" check boxes.

This time the delete was successful, and I had a second notice for…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. Microsoft Software Reactivation after VM shut down and restart

Currently any Microsoft software installed on an Azure VM does not support retail activation because everyday if the VM is shut down from portal, then restart, the software require re-activation. (Unless we have setup KMS which takes quite an effort for support), please fix this so that Azure will be a better platform to choose from compare to other similar cloud services (i.e. A - W - S, etc.)

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

What software are you having difficulties with? Office retail (like Word, PowerPoint) is not support to run inside Azure VMs, which might be your problem.

corey

16. 26 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. Stop charging for VM's that have never been logged on to

Stop charging for VM's that have never been logged on to. I'll be closing my account because of this.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Hey Jeff,

I am sorry to hear about the problem here. Can you explain a bit more about what happened? You created a VM and then did not log in and got charged?

Corey

18. Ability to move resources

Some examples:

1) You set up something (e.g. SQL, VM, storage, CDN, etc.) in a region because a feature wasn't available in another region. Then it becomes available, and you are stuck in the old region because moving things requires lots of manual work, copies, DNS changes, etc., if at all possible. It would be great to allow to simply "change region", and Azure does everything needed behind the scenes. Of course you pay for the bandwidth, but the operation could be transparent.

2) You set up a VM, and you forget to put it in an affinity group. Shouldn't…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. I can't launch A8 Type in San Antonio Region.

I had try four times in different time.
    But I still can't launch A8 type VM.
    Could you check out that?

Thanks

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Linux  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for the feedback. Right now, San Antonio does not support the A8/A9 sizes. We are constantly looking to increase our size options in the regions but right now, this isn’t available there.

20. ***** down on bots and exploits

My SSH server has been attacked twice in the past 24 hours by two different Azure hosts. Please do more than promise people that you'll look into people using your services for abusing other servers.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

Virtual Machines

Categories

Feedback and Knowledge Base