Virtual Machines

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. virtualize intel vt-x/ept or amd-v/rvi to allow HAXM

I would like Windows VM's to support nested virtual machines, so that I can use HAXM for Android VM for the purpose of using a Windows VM for mobile development.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Microsoft
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for the valid suggestion. Your feedback is now open for the user community to upvote which allows us to effectively prioritize your request against our existing feature list and also gives us insight into the potential impact of implementing the suggested feature

2. Request new feature : Converting existing unmanaged VMSS to managed VMSS.

the scenario is
    1. we has an existing VMSS with unmanaged os disk already
    2. we want to convert to managed os disk in this VMSS.

currently, it supports signle VM to migrate from unmanaged os disk to managed os disk, but it does not be supported for VMSS scenario.

the current solution is we have to buildout a new VMSS with managed os disk and move our service from old VMSS to new VMSS, this has high risky(for exmaple, move the data from old VMSS to new VMSS, etc.),

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  VMSS  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for the valid suggestion. Your feedback is now open for the user community to upvote which allows us to effectively prioritize your request against our existing feature list and also gives us insight into the potential impact of implementing the suggested feature

3. Allow encrypted Linux OS disk settings to persist through generalization and image creation

Allow Linux encrypted OS disk settings to persist through generalization and image creation to avoid having to wait hours or days for a new virtual machine to be encrypted after deployment.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Linux  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

4. Return vm information when querying with only vmid

If I only have the vmId, I'd like to be able to query ARM only with that to get the VM data instead of needing the RG and VM Name too.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5. Fix the recently broken time entry field for automation schedules, VM auto-shutodown

The Azure portal used to accept times in the format like 1200 or 1700, etc. After a recent change, the format is very rigid and must now be like "5:00:00 PM". Any deviation from that erase user input and reverts. Very annoying, and caused errors for us.

Example locations for time entry are VM auto-shutdown and Automation schedules.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Windows  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

6. creation of public private key pairs on the portal

When deploying a new Linux based VM, create a shortcut to create a SSH keypair and download the private/public key straight from the portal... saves downloading puttygen or similar..

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Linux  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

7. VMs KVM Console. VMs console access without RDPing to IP or Public IP.

It is important to have VMs console access through console without RDPing to IP or Public IP. E.g if a user wants to run ISO Image at the time of boot.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Thanks for the valid suggestion. Your feedback is now open for the user community to upvote & comment on. This allows us to effectively prioritize your request against our existing feature backlog and also gives us insight into the potential impact of implementing the suggested feature.

8. JIT access on VM blade should behave exactly like it does in Security Center

JIT is a great part of the product. From the Security Center blade it allows a user to open a specific IP (MyIP) that they are connecting from. I can whitelist IPs, ranges, etc, or allow them to whitelist any specific IP of their choice.

When using JIT from the VM blade it simply places the whitelist (or * if no whitelist is present) into the new NSG rule. I would like the VM blade's implementation of JIT to match with the Security Center implementation. In my use case I want to allow users to open individual IPs, tied to…

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. I suggest you make Azure less complicated

, let users supply their own iso's with simple user interface and let users deploy their linux vm with a simple user interface like the way vmware is setup. I dont have to pick a group or container, I don't need this or that I just need the vmware software and an iso. That's why Linux and Microsoft have had such a difficult history of co op, linux is simple and straight forward little bells and whistles, Microsoft just adds layer and layer and layers of junk.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. (Linux + d2_v2 + dedicated) Why not on Azure China ?

This link could lead you to think we may have it.
    https://docs.azure.cn/zh-cn/virtual-machines/linux/
    The same way we have it with Azure Global.
    But no! Why is that Microsoft cannot have a standard offer and impose its subcontractors (here 21Vianet) to match the Standard?
    My coffees at Starbucks and Costa in Shanghai respect the respective standards.
    Thank you to urge this matter as we are now forced to consider AWS just to host our VMs with Ubuntu.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. Provide A Secure FTP services to Perform Data Migration

FTP account to Upload data & download inside VM

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. Allow VM console access when storage account has firewall enabled

It's pretty ridiculous that the Azure VM serial console won't work when the boot diagnostics storage account has a firewall enabled.

First, it should be possible to use a firewall for additional protection of boot diagnostics. I understand that the storage has to be written from the host server, not the VM, so it might not be on the correct vnet; but this should be considered a "trusted Azure service", or there should be another option to allow it.

Second, the Serial Console is not the same as boot logging. They are two separate things! I should be able to…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  VMSS  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

13. Clone VM without sacrificing the original to the "sysprep" gods

I often set up Linux VMs with attached disks, and need to 1-click clone the VM to make new ones for parallel work.

For some reason Azure requires us to prepare the VM for a ritual sacrifice with "sysprep" or something, and destroying the original magically makes a clone-able VM. If I need to make modifications I have to re-deploy and then re-sacrifice again. This seems way too complicated.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. storing vmSize with the exactly the same capitalization independently how VM was created

VmSize is stored with the capitalization how it was called during creation (v2 <> V2).

VM with v2
    az vm create -n clitest1 -g SAP --image UbuntuLTS --size Standard_D13_v2

az vm show -g SAP -n clitest1 -d

"hardwareProfile": {
    "vmSize": "Standard_D13_v2"

VM with V2
    az vm create -n clitest2 -g SAP --image UbuntuLTS --size Standard_D13_V2

az vm show -g SAP -n clitest2 -d

"hardwareProfile": {
    "vmSize": "Standard_D13_V2"

It causes additional data cleaning necessary during azure data analyzes.
    Please correct
    thanks
    István

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Bugs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. Constrained CPU on DS15_v2 or beyond

Can you offer D15 with constrained CPU?
    We are running SQL server on this VMs with CPU count licenses, and our workload need more RAM than CPU.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. Tweak the design of the Azure dashboard to increase usability and new customer on-boarding/understanding

Following discussions with the Azure support team I just wanted to provide feedback on my experience (as a relatively new Azure customer) in understanding and using the Azure portal.

While I managed to muddle through in provisioning resources, when it came to de-allocating a VM I was hit by an unexpected resource charge as I hadn't realised the additional resources (e.g. SSD storage or networking) required for the VM to function would not also be de-allocated. This, along with the lack of visibility of this when you log-in, meant I spent 2 months thinking I had de-allocated the VM and…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Requesting to consider and develop option to migrate the inplace os upgrade for both Linux and Windows. For Example RHEL 6.x to 7.x etc...

Requesting to consider and develop option to migrate the inplace os upgrade for both Linux and Windows. For Example RHEL 6.x to 7.x etc...

This is a genric future plan or view any clients would have and this blockage in cloud is some way blocking the plans for few clients.

Please consider.
    JD
    jayadeava.b@tcs.com

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Global Admin should have capability to view Reserved Instance reservations.

Global admins SHOULD be able to view (or at least manage permissions) of Reserved Instance reservations in the Azure portal. Currently, only the purchaser and account owner can manage the permissions. This is contradictory to everything else in Azure, where a Global Admin alywas has the capability to change permissions (acting as a User Access Administrator).

On a secondary note, Read-only admins in the Enterprise Agreement portal should also have the ability to view reserved instance data.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Windows  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. Display installed Azure extension from within the Add Extensions menu

Provide a mechanism to surface (display) installed Azure Extensions from within the Add menu. For example, I have the Network Watcher Agent (NWA) installed, but when I click <Add> and go into the Extensions menu NWA is still available as an option along with other installed extension. Ideally, add a checkmark to the icon or something like it to depict that the Extenstion has already been installed.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Thanks for the valid suggestion. Your feedback is now open for the user community to upvote & comment on. This allows us to effectively prioritize your request against our existing feature backlog and also gives us insight into the potential impact of implementing the suggested feature.

20. SAP on Azure with more automation and more flexibility for SAP system landscape

Whenever you want, you can generate a new devolopment or quality system with actual data with our Software on Azure. So you have a new copie of your porduction system. Like a systemcopie.
    The second feature is, you can build automatically a SandBox system in a new azure VM and turn it off when you don´t needed anymore.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

Virtual Machines

Categories

Feedback and Knowledge Base