Virtual Machines

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Can we have a way to get the log file when VM failed to boot up ?

I found it is very difficult to find out what happen without a log file when vm fail to boot up.
    I spend a lot of time only to figure out what I had changed since last time I make it boot up.

You can log the virtual console to a file that we can click a button to get it.

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Microsoft
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Linux  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

This is great feedback. Let us dig into what this would entail to pull out these logs as part of our logging system.

2. can't add tcp port

Unable to add TCP Port. After entering details it just closes without adding the port forwarding. It works fine in old portal.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

under review  ·  0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Not very user friendly

Very poor interface difficult just to create virtual machine and have come up in private network created. then change settings on server resources ?

Impossible to figure out ???

10 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4. Machine State For Test Environment

I use here just for SharePoint farm for now and thanks for user friendly portal. It is really nice to use a great farm at least 3 virtual machines. Maybe it should better if there is no action on machine for couple hours to shut down machine automatically. Maybe I think different from your work politics but it should be better to save limited credits for test users at the beginning

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

This cost saving mechanism is something we are looking to enable. You could support this just using Azure Automation scripts to detect and act.

5. Display VM Preview

Display a preview view for all VMs. This will allow admins to see when VMs are back online and ready to login after a restart and or the current state of the VM.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

under review  ·  1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Choosing visual studio VM

It's extremely difficult to chose a VM to create, as the column is extremely thin, so the details are hidden (such as OS type)

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. The always on group creation for SQL 2014 is broken

The always on group creation for SQL 2014 is broken. It dies immediately with "Deployment Failed .... Authentication failed. The 'Authorization' header is not present or provided in an invalid format."

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. Detailed error messages

My VM failed to provision. The error message did not provide any insight. Prompting the user to "try again" increases frustration.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. 1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Thanks for the feedback. If this gets a few more votes (and possibly some examples of the types of changes) we will consider these improvements.

10. Provide a simple portal where organisations can allow their employees to request VMs on their subscription at the click of a button

Azure is intimidating to non-technical people, but the potential for organisations to use it to host their employees computers is huge. They would no longer have to worry about buying hardware for their employees, dealing with it's depreciation or end of life disposal. At the same time, employees could then request a powerful VM from this Lite Portal in one click of a button for their work from their tablet, phone or laptop without needing to worry about the technical or financial complexity that currently exists with getting a VM on Azure.

14 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Can you share a few more details on what you are thinking about here? Just a more simple version of the portal?

Corey

11. 9 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Linux  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for the feedback. If folks could vote on this to help determine whether this is a common environment required for PHP development.

12. Failover Cluster support besides SQL AlwaysOn

It would be great for failover clustering to be supported with Azure VMs as it would allow my customers to migrate all their thinkable on-premises workloads to Azure. Move to an Azure-only environment is being asked more frequently.
    Shared VHDX and a way to get a valid cluster IP address seems to be key for this to get operational.
    It would be a perfect in combination with availability sets for e.g. file server clusters, SQL failover clusters, custom application clusters

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Windows  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. Add Optional Workflow Server to the SharePoint Server Farm item in the Gallery

The current gallery option to create a SharePoint Server Farm is good but it does not go far enough. While a migration to Office 365 and "the cloud" in general is well underway, many developers are still being tasked with developing On-Premises solutions, and a great many of these include Workflow requirements.

Azure is a great way for a developer to spin up a Development/Test/Sandbox environment, but trying to add a workflow server into the current VM's that are deployed as part of the existing template is a painful and frustrating process, especially for those developers (like myself) who are…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. Granular Information about Azure Maintenance

Last week, I received a notification regarding Azure Maintenance that is scheduled starting 1st August - I have attached it here. The notification said "WestUS - First Half", "WestUS-Second Half" and so on. But currently, there seems to be no way of checking in which "Half" is our deployment. If this information is available on the portal in our subscription, it will help to identify when and how our services are going to be affected.

15 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

thanks for the feedback. I am hoping that this is the last maintenance (after we go through all the regions) that will be split in half like this.

15. virtual machine shows stopped not deallocated

The preview of virtual machines only shows them as stopped. Nothing says if the VMs are deallocated that I can see. From a charging point of view the statuses should be the same as the original portal.

8 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. Windows Images with different languages

It would be great to have pre-built Windows images in different languages for testing software on foreign Windows systems.

10 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Windows  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. Preconfigured SharePoint demo template

SharePoint 2013 preconfigured Demo environment-template for demo like the Information worker VHD for SP 2010.
    Main features:
    * Content with metadata etc.
    * Users

Pherhaps templateify the one you could create at https://www.microsoftofficedemos.com/
    for creation in azure.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

under review  ·  2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. 4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Linux  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. Don't publish RDP / PowerShell when selecting a corp connected network

My financial customer was alarmed to see that a server was exposed to the internet when it was also connected to their corporate network.

I helped them "connect" their on premises network to Azure. Once connected, one of the IT Admins just ran through the wizard (UI) to create a VM and place it on the network. A week later, security was reviewing the settings and asked why a sensitive server on a sensitive network was exposed (RDP with a random port) to the internet (which there is no good answer).

My request: Can we change the deploy VM behavior…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Windows 8 Home

Just an end-user virtual desktop

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)