Virtual Machines

How can we improve Azure Virtual Machines?

(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Add "VM JIT Requestor" role to Resource/RG level role list

Quite often, I want to grant users login access to an Azure VM without giving them contributor access to modify the metadata associated with the VM itself. However, while Reader access gives users access to the Azure portal, and Virtual Machine User Login access allows users to login to the VM once in the portal, neither the aforementioned roles nor any other predefined role provides the ability to request JIT access to the VM.

My workaround has been to create a cusotm role with the following allowed action: Microsoft.Security/locations/jitNetworkAccessPolicies/initiate/action

However, this seems like an action that should either be allowed…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Microsoft
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Windows  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. 3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3. The portal just told me my Public IP would be lost despite it being reserved

When I went to shut down a VM I got the message in the portal warning me the Public IP would be lost. This VM had a reserved PIP however and when I shut it down it did not dealloc the PIP so the warning was a false alarm. Seems like a bug there. VM was in Australia East.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Custom VM Sizing

Allow for custom sizing of CPU and RAM (and possibly other schedulable resources like GPUs) in VM provisioning. This provides greater flexibility in workload scheduling than standard SKUs, and enables higher level tooling to take advantage of this for more sophisticated purposes.

See https://cloud.google.com/custom-machine-types/

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for the valid suggestion. Your feedback is now open for the user community to upvote which allows us to effectively prioritize your request against our existing feature list and also gives us insight into the potential impact of implementing the suggested feature

5. The virtual machines of the B series do not inform about the bandwidth. All series report about bandwidth except type B machines. Accordin

The virtual machines of the B series do not inform about the bandwidth.

All series report about bandwidth except type B machines.

According to Microsoft they do not inform because it is a variant connection, but at least they should indicate the minimum and maximum.

As in all series in the NIC part, the bandwidth must also appear.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Bugs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for the valid suggestion. Your feedback is now open for the user community to upvote which allows us to effectively prioritize your request against our existing feature list and also gives us insight into the potential impact of implementing the suggested feature

6. Automatic snapshot before Windows Update installation (IaaS)

Sometimes Windows Update problems can cause major issues with Azure VMs, therefore is it possible to create functionality where the OS can notify Azure before it installs updates, and then at this point Azure can take an automatic snapshot?

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7. Fix or allow automated cleanup for orphaned Microsoft Hyper-V Network adapters on Azure VM's

We have identified an issue with our Azure VM environment.

We use an Automation script to stop and start our VM's every night - however it seems that every time the VM's start up a new virtual network adapter is created, leaving potentially hundreds of old orphaned ones on the system (showing up as Microsoft Hyper-V Network Adapter #123).

In itself this is merely an inconvenience but we have twice experienced an issue where after a certain number of these orphaned adapters have built up the VM's fail to create a new working adapter with the effect that network communications…

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Windows  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Windows Server 2019 and Semi-Annual Channel support for Azure Disk Encryption

Windows Server 2019 and Semi-Annual Channel builds should be supported with Azure Disk Encryption

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. allow assigning public IP to virtual servers

changing public IPs has a great impact on various apps running, linked services, and others. Adding a feature that allows assigning an old public IP, which is still not reserved to any other machine, to the VM server after rebooting (in case subscribers missed to set their IP to static) is one needed things.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. unable to see pricing for some images

Customers are unable to see the pricing for some images while creating the VM. Example Canonical Ubuntu images. Although, the images are free. It would great for the customers to see the price as free rather than to see " Pricing unavailable for these images.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Linux  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Enable Powershell Cmdlet for migrating VMSS to use Managed Disk

Similar to the cmdlet ConvertTo-AzVMManagedDisk - have an option to trigger a VMSS migration to use Managed Disk

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  VMSS  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. Global Admin should have capability to view Reserved Instance reservations.

Global admins SHOULD be able to view (or at least manage permissions) of Reserved Instance reservations in the Azure portal. Currently, only the purchaser and account owner can manage the permissions. This is contradictory to everything else in Azure, where a Global Admin alywas has the capability to change permissions (acting as a User Access Administrator).

On a secondary note, Read-only admins in the Enterprise Agreement portal should also have the ability to view reserved instance data.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Windows  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. JIT access on VM blade should behave exactly like it does in Security Center

JIT is a great part of the product. From the Security Center blade it allows a user to open a specific IP (MyIP) that they are connecting from. I can whitelist IPs, ranges, etc, or allow them to whitelist any specific IP of their choice.

When using JIT from the VM blade it simply places the whitelist (or * if no whitelist is present) into the new NSG rule. I would like the VM blade's implementation of JIT to match with the Security Center implementation. In my use case I want to allow users to open individual IPs, tied to…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. 1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. Mount VHDs/managed disks directly in portal

For unencrypted volumes, it would sometimes be useful to be able to "mount" these volumes in Azure and browse/edit some of the data. Using this method, some Linux problems could be fixed, i.e. problematic fstab entries. If possible, this would need to be available for different file systems, i.e. NTFS, ETX4 ...

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Thanks for the valid suggestion. Your feedback is now open for the user community to upvote which allows us to effectively prioritize your request against our existing feature backlog and also gives us insight into the potential impact of implementing the suggested feature.

16. VM current screenshot on front page of VM?

I feel that it would be great to have this shown on the front page of the VM, a bit like how a VM is displayed in Hyper-V, so that at a glance you can see the latest screen capture

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Thanks for the valid suggestion. Your feedback is now open for the user community to upvote which allows us to effectively prioritize your request against our existing feature backlog and also gives us insight into the potential impact of implementing the suggested feature.

17. Create rescue VM directly from portal

I'm aware of the rescue VM scripts for Azure VMs, however it would be handy to have a 'rescue' button in the portal which does all of the steps i.e. creating snapshot, new rescue VM (maybe hypervisor), attaching disk, etc.
    This would be a big time saver when troubleshooting a failed VM

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Prevent the 'failed' state when VMSS autoscaled to subnet namespace size

VMSS easily turn 'failed' status with following step and cannot recover without delete and re-create the VMSS.

Repro step is:
    1. Create Vnet and subnets. The address space of subnet for VMSS is /27 (for example)
    2. Create AppGW(Small/1instance, no publicIP) in Vnet
    3. Create VMSS under AppGW
    ... set the Autoscale rule as Min/Max/default : 2/25/2
    ... In my case, I created Standard_DS1_v2 size VMSS
    4. change Autoscale parameter to 16/25/16
    5. change Autoscale parameter to 25/25/25
    =>reproduces

want to prevent the state. thanks,

11 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  VMSS  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. Serial console works with Storage accounts with firewalls enabled

There are a few places that the documentation implies that serial console will not work with a storage account with the firewall enabled.
    Serial console DOES work with staorage account with firewall enabled (as long as the correct source IPs have been whitelisted).
    Here is one place doco misleading https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/virtual-machines/troubleshooting/serial-console-linux. Also there's an error messager from serial console itself 'Azure serial console cannot function with a boot diagnostic storage account firewall enabled' (see attched screenshot) which is incorrect.

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. ASR should support 3rd party SSL certificates for replication

We are replicating our VMware vm's to Azure using ASR configuration servers (OVF template). ASR uses self signed certificate which is not a secured one and also it fails some security compliance. ASR should start supporting 3rd SSL certificates which are secured and do not have issues with Security compliance

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

Virtual Machines

Feedback and Knowledge Base