Virtual Machines

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. enable azure active directory as a domain controller for IaaS virtual machines.

Today for IaaS setup in Azure we need to deploy dedicated machines for Active Directory to get domain functionality. Can you enable IaaS VMs join to a Azure AD tenant within the same subscription ?

13 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Microsoft
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. problems creating a virtual ubuntu machine

i cant set up a virtual machine using ubuntu on azure. It askes me for a "SSH AUTHENTICATION KEY" every time ??? Icreated one on my windows pc and pasted the public key in there. But azure says that it's not valid. it took me 2 hours... and i don't know how to solve that problem. There is no help on azure. So what do i need to do?

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

under review  ·  5 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Upload VHDX

A support for uploading VHDX images would be great. With that it wouldn't be necessary anymore to migrate a VHDX to VHD before.

342 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

24 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

The status of this item has been moved back to Under Review. We initially planned to move to VHDX support as part of our support for HyperV Gen2 VMs, but we ended up using the VHD format for Gen2 VMs as well. Some aspects of the Azure Infrastructure do not cleanly support VHDX OS or data disks. So this feature is dependent on some of these internal services being updated which is an ongoing process.

4. make installation media available (mount an .iso) for those of us that use Azure VMs

Occasionally we need access to the source media to access scripts or files on our VMs. I recently ran into this issue while following this MSDN article ( http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dn486787.aspx ) while setting up an ADFS farm. There is literally no way forward without the installation media.

31 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks! This is something we are considering as we add enhancements to auto-configuration. You may be able to do this using Azure Files, today.

5. Upgrade OS

You should be able to back up your files and data to a storage account and then upgrade your Windows Server OS to the latest version/edition.

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Windows  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for the feedback. This has a relatively high test cost and given we have the newest OS version available, we haven’t heard much interest in this.

Please up-vote this and we will consider it.

Corey

6. Templates for Virtual Machines

I hate it to create a new virtual machine in the new azure portal. It takes too long to open every blade and then open another blade, close this blade and so on... So I would like to go to a resource group "Add Virtual Machine" and things like Networking and Storage are already configured. You can already choose between some resources like Website, SQL Database and Windows Server 2012 but I would like to create a custom virtual machine for example with Windows 8.1.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7. Granular CPU and Memory Proivisioning

Allow the customer to add CPUs and RAM incrementally, so they aren't bound by the predetmined sizes Microsoft thinks is best.

Hyper-V allows this.
    VMware allows this.

It seems reasonable that Azure should allow this as well.

Obviously the billing model would have to be adjusted to add up the per-vCPU and per-GB-vRAM (per minutes) pricing.

Isn't this one patently obvious?

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Thanks for the feedback, Nick. This is good feedback and would require some complex billing models. Let us look at it.

8. support glassfish server for Java Developers + good documentation for java

I'm a java developer using glassfish as a application server, so to use azure cloud for java applications glassfish is mandatory because it is one of the few servers Java EE 7 certified.
    comparing to Google App Engine Java documentaion, Azure Java Docs is very poor.
    Thanks

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

I would love more details on the type of documentation you would like to see to improve Java usage on the platform!! We are always looking to improve Java usage and this would help a lot.

9. Flexible instance size

Right now, I can't increase only memory amount.
    If I want more, I need to switch from Small Instance to Medium Instance (for example).

But there are cases that I just want more memory, let's say from 1.75GB to 3GB. It will be nice if I could attach more memory, in a way close to the "attach disk to VM".

35 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Provide a way to backup/download VM VHD

As a user, I have setup my ubuntu VM from gallery. Configured it as per need. But now I would like to download copy of .VHD to save it as backup and also try changes locally first

9 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Linux  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Integrate VM Windows Updates with Availability Sets

I would like to turn on automatic updates for our Windows virtual machines running on Azure but we can't because they are not integrated with Availability Sets. That is, I cannot guarantee that another node won't be down (being moved by Azure, etc) when Automatic Updates kicks in.

Even as it is, when we manually install updates, there's nothing preventing Azure from taking down the other nodes in the Availability Set, because Azure does publish its maintenance window.

I would like to be able to let the Azure service control and install Windows / Microsoft updates with respect to Availability…

18 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. Support configuring the MAC address of virtual NICs

I have a very specific deployment scenario where controlling the MAC address of virtual NICs is a requirement.

Please allow me to either specify a range of MAC addresses for a subnet, or the MAC address of a specific NIC, just like I can in Windows Server Hyper-V.

Thanks!

9 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. Allow Virtual Machine's to be provisioned by providing a URL to a .OVA file

Virtual Machine's could be provisioned by providing a URL to .OVA file or other VM file formats.

36 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. Add Hyper-V Replica for offsite backup

Allow us to send Replicas offsite for DR in case Azure goes down. Customers are not trusting cloud initiatives enough to move fully into the cloud without having an offsite backup.

16 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. Green Computing Option

Allow me to pay a little more to host my data/services on machines that are powered by renewable energy.

14 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

This is a very interesting idea and one I like a lot! Let me dig into whether this is something we could consider in the future. Thanks for the idea! :)

16. Allow easy donation of unused CPU cycles to cancer research, Folding@home, etc.

I would like to easily 'donate' my unused CPU cycles towards a good cause, such as cancer research within the Folding@home project.

Ideally this setting would be incorporated into the config of my worker roles, or within the Windows Azure portal.

168 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

23 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. I am not at all sure what a free trial covers. I wanted to try A4 with Hortonworks Sandbox 2.3. What is my cost?

Please make clear what a free trial covers. Can I try A4 with Hortonworks Sandbox 2.3?

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Thanks for the feedback. You’re right in pointing out that some of the features and restrictions of the free trial offer are not clearly presented. We will look into improving this.

For your particular scenario, I don’t think you can provision a Hortonworks Sandbox because it is a third party product available through the Azure Marketplace. Free trial credits cannot to my knowledge be applied towards marketplace items.

As for the cost, if you were on a Pay-As-You-Go plan, you would pay an estimated $262 USD a month for full time use on the basic tier. This information is provided before you provision such a VM when using portal.azure.com

I hope that helped,

Adam
    -Azure Billing Team

18. Allow Azure Subscription owner to define the recommended virtual maskine sizes.

It would med great, if a Azure Subscription owner could define the recommended virtual maskine sizes. We now recommend using Dv2 mashines as the default.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Save action should not block navigation

On some resources when you choose Save after making a configuration change on a resource, the blade must be left open until the Save action completes and you cannot navigate else where without getting an warning that changes will be lost. For example, adding a data disk to a VM takes sometimes 1-2 minutes so I have to wait. What I end up doing is opening another tab in the browser to continue working. All Saves should be immediate and allow you to navigate away immediately. Most time this is true, but some actions require you to wait.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. 3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)