Virtual Machines

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Effective route tables for VMSS

As confirmed by PG in Support case 119091125000146 there is no way to query the effective route table for a VMSS instance, thus leaving 100% VMSS based infrastructures completely blind.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Microsoft
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  VMSS  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for the valid suggestion. Your feedback is now open for the user community to upvote which allows us to effectively prioritize your request against our existing feature list and also gives us insight into the potential impact of implementing the suggested feature

2. Allow update of gallery image for VMSS

When referencing a custom image in a VMSS from a Shared Image Gallery (Preview), it cannot be updated to refer to a new image. This results in an error code "PropertyChangeNotAllowed".

Today, a VMSS can be updated to a new image reference when it references a managed image that does not reside in a Shared Image Gallery.

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  VMSS  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Ability to read properties values in Microsoft.Compute/virtualMachineScaleSets/extensions/settings policy alias

Would like to be able to create azure policy that can check the value of properties in VM & VMSS extensions. For instance if I have deployed the AzureDiskEncryptionForLinux extension i would like to further validate that the available settings for that extension are configured per company policy. so ability to add something like the following in a policy rule:

"field": "Microsoft.Compute/virtualMachineScaleSets/extensions/settings"
    "containsKeyValue": "EncryptionOperation:EnableEncryption"

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Thanks for the valid suggestion. Your feedback is now open for the user community to upvote which allows us to effectively prioritize your request against our existing feature list and also gives us insight into the potential impact of implementing the suggested feature

4. Request new feature : Converting existing unmanaged VMSS to managed VMSS.

the scenario is
    1. we has an existing VMSS with unmanaged os disk already
    2. we want to convert to managed os disk in this VMSS.

currently, it supports signle VM to migrate from unmanaged os disk to managed os disk, but it does not be supported for VMSS scenario.

the current solution is we have to buildout a new VMSS with managed os disk and move our service from old VMSS to new VMSS, this has high risky(for exmaple, move the data from old VMSS to new VMSS, etc.),

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5. Allow VM console access when storage account has firewall enabled

It's pretty ridiculous that the Azure VM serial console won't work when the boot diagnostics storage account has a firewall enabled.

First, it should be possible to use a firewall for additional protection of boot diagnostics. I understand that the storage has to be written from the host server, not the VM, so it might not be on the correct vnet; but this should be considered a "trusted Azure service", or there should be another option to allow it.

Second, the Serial Console is not the same as boot logging. They are two separate things! I should be able to…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6. VMSS rolling updates on custom images

Allow rolling updates on custom images.

Currently if you build a custom image and create a VMSS with it you have to manually "roll it out" via upgrade. Seems silly when the image is housed and built just like any other. were just talking about watching the upgrade process by way of the VM's "upgrade status"

seems doable not sure why its held back, especially when the VMSS set knows its "not current"

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7. add which availability zone a scale-set instance is in to the overview panel

on the VMSS-.>instances->instance page, please expose which AZ the instance is running in.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. feature request for an extension to run during VMSS scale in operation

feature request for an extension to run during VMSS scale in operation

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. Enable Powershell Cmdlet for migrating VMSS to use Managed Disk

Similar to the cmdlet ConvertTo-AzVMManagedDisk - have an option to trigger a VMSS migration to use Managed Disk

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. Prevent the 'failed' state when VMSS autoscaled to subnet namespace size

VMSS easily turn 'failed' status with following step and cannot recover without delete and re-create the VMSS.

Repro step is:
    1. Create Vnet and subnets. The address space of subnet for VMSS is /27 (for example)
    2. Create AppGW(Small/1instance, no publicIP) in Vnet
    3. Create VMSS under AppGW
    ... set the Autoscale rule as Min/Max/default : 2/25/2
    ... In my case, I created Standard_DS1_v2 size VMSS
    4. change Autoscale parameter to 16/25/16
    5. change Autoscale parameter to 25/25/25
    =>reproduces

want to prevent the state. thanks,

11 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  VMSS  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. N-Series VMs with AMD CPUs

Please offer N-Series units with AMD Epyc CPUs.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. scheduled event is missing the delete/scale-in event for scale sets

to properly demote cluster members during a scale-in or delete operation on a scale set node, the schedule event endpoint should provide the event-type delete or similar.

then it would be possible, to take proper local actions before the node is gone.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. where do i put a password for the oracle vm?

in the step Automate database startup and shutdown needs a password? the password is: OraPasswd1 ? it does not work!

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/virtual-machines/workloads/oracle/oracle-database-quick-create?view=sql-server-2016

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. Azure Virtual Machine Scale Set

The ability to select and register the Azure Virtual Machine Scale Set to Azure Automation DSC. Currently you are only able to select Virtual Machines. This becomes a problem when you need to refresh the key after a year has expired.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. it does not allow size in a virtual machine

I have created a virtual machine with a free 30 day trial of Azure (with credit 161.90), following the instructions of Microsoft but at the time of selecting the size in select size

It shows me the following image ...

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/virtual-machines/windows/quick-create-portal?WT.mc_id=UI_empg

I do not understand why the size of the vm can not be created.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. Allow me to dictate CPU and Memory in calculator to choose machines vs trying to understand your A-Z machine criteria... 4 core, 16gb, XX s

Calculator flexibility - Allow me to dictate CPU and Memory in your calculator to choose machines vs trying to understand your A-Z machine criteria... 4 core, 16gb, then storage, then location... then give me options. I could care less about. Use my requirements to drive machine selection vs trying to understand you machine classes... When I have 20K workloads and 300+ various machine sizing's. Various variables have less impact in pricing - prioritize those that have $$$ impact. Machine class and region should be less prioritized and better defined (South Central US???) really? Net Net is I should not have…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. vmss python sample

provide a sample for python vmss manamgement.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Allow customization of eviction logic of scale sets

One should be able to select which VM will be evicted from the scale set when the ScaleIn rule triggers. Or, at least reject the choice made by the existing logic.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Automatic scaling up/down virtual machines very limited

Automatic scale up of virtual machines seems to be very limited in Azure:
    a) it does only work for certain types of virtual machines
    b) you can only scale up/down to a single other point, which is predefined by Azure
    c) you cannot control details e.g. amount of vcpu or ram

Also, getting automatic vertical scaling to work needs one to get pretty involved. You have documentation about this topic, but somehow documentation is confusing and you don't find easily where to start / what to do in what order.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Support put metrics from multiple nodes from a VMSS into a single chart in metric explorer

Currently, from metric explorer I can view some metrics from a single node from a VMSS. For example, I can view CPU percentage for node-0 in a chart. However, it will be more useful if I can put CPU percentage metrics for other nodes in the same chart so that I can view all CPU usage in a single chart. Then I can do a second chart for network for all nodes.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

Virtual Machines

Categories

Feedback and Knowledge Base