Update: Microsoft will be moving away from UserVoice sites on a product-by-product basis throughout the 2021 calendar year. We will leverage 1st party solutions for customer feedback. Learn more here.

Virtual Machines

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. IMDS API does not return current list of supported API versions and errors about versions are not consistent

Hi,
    when I try to get list of supported API according your documentation here:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/virtual-machines/linux/instance-metadata-service?tabs=linux#versions

then I get following list

[root@azure-machine ~]# curl -H Metadata:true --noproxy "*" http://169.254.169.254/metadata/versions
    {"apiVersions":["2017-03-01","2017-04-02","2017-08-01","2017-10-01","2017-12-01","2018-02-01","2018-04-02","2018-10-01","2019-02-01","2019-03-11","2019-04-30","2019-06-01","2019-06-04","2019-08-01","2019-08-15","2019-11-01","2020-06-01"]}

You provide different list in the documentation:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/virtual-machines/linux/instance-metadata-service?tabs=linux#versioning

The list returned by REST API should be current.

When I try to use unsupported version or I don't use version at all, then every REST API endpoint return different error message. Example:

[root@azure-machine ~]# curl -H Metadata:true --noproxy "*" http://169.254.169.254/metadata/instance?api-version=2011-01-01
    { "error": "Bad request. api-version is invalid or was not specified in the request." }

[root@azure-machine ~]# curl -H Metadata:true --noproxy "*" …

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Bugs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Why can not select NV v4 on Windows VDI in Azure Calculator?

I am trying to simulate the price of Windows VDI using Virtual machines NV v4 but these NV v4 are coming empty!!! Why???

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

3. Can't create VM with specified size from Azure powershell

There is a bug that can't let you create a vm with a specified size in the Azure Powershell (from portal.azure.com)
    If i type the same command line in my local powershell it creates the machine with a specified size without issues but the same command does not work in azure

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

4. Spot VM eviction events not being published to Event Grid

I'd like to set up an event grid subscription to capture spot VM evictions, but those eviction deallocation and/or delete events are not being published to Event Grid. Practically all other VM events (including manual deallocation, deletion, or simulated evictions) are sent to the event grid; please send these platform-initiated events to the grid too.

I have seen the documentation for VMs monitoring their own metadata service for scheduled eviction events, but that's not an acceptable solution for me; I need to be able to monitor these events from an outside service (via a queue or other handler from the…

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

5. Create Virtual Machine > Image > List a current version of Windows 10! Shows out of support version!

When you go to create a new Virtual Machine, the only desktop option on the Basics page under Image is Win 10 Pro 1809. If you want to find a current version, the "See all images" page is actually REALLY hard for people to use to find a current version of Win 10 Pro or Enterprise (I've had this come up in new employee onboarding in literally every session). 1809 stopped getting security updates back in November of 2020 - over 4 months ago!

Please update the Image pick list to include both Win 10 Pro 20H1 and Win 10…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

6. Azure Disk Encryption fails with error 2147943717

Using AzureDiskEncryption 2.2.0.36 on a Windows Server 2019 VM (StandardD4asv4), BitLocker encryption fails (seemingly randomly) with "Win32EncryptableVolumeWrap::Encrypt failed with 2147943717".

No group policies related to BitLocker encryption method are set. Encryption seems to fail around 1/4 - 1/3 of the time when standing up new VMs.

2021-01-27T21:23:09.9456535Z [Error]: Win32EncryptableVolumeWrap::Encrypt failed with 2147943717
    2021-01-27T21:23:09.9925344Z [Fatal]: BitlockerExtension::OnEnable hit exception Encrypt failed with 2147943717, inner exception , stack trace: at Microsoft.Cis.Security.BitLocker.BitlockerIaasVMExtension.BitlockerWmi.Win32EncryptableVolumeWrap.Encrypt() in X:\bt\1132456\repo\src\BitLocker\BitlockerIaasVMExtension\BitlockerWMI\Win32EncryptableVolumeWrap.cs:line 423
    at Microsoft.Cis.Security.BitLocker.BitlockerIaasVMExtension.BitlockerOperations.StartEncryptionOnVolume(EncryptableVolume vol) in X:\bt\1132456\repo\src\BitLocker\BitlockerIaasVMExtension\BitlockerOperations.cs:line 1042
    at Microsoft.Cis.Security.BitLocker.BitlockerIaasVMExtension.BitlockerExtension.EnableEncryption() in X:\bt\1132456\repo\src\BitLocker\BitlockerIaasVMExtension\BitlockerExtension.cs:line 1617
    at Microsoft.Cis.Security.BitLocker.BitlockerIaasVMExtension.BitlockerExtension.HandleEncryptionOperations() in X:\bt\1132456\repo\src\BitLocker\BitlockerIaasVMExtension\BitlockerExtension.cs:line 1873
    at Microsoft.Cis.Security.BitLocker.BitlockerIaasVMExtension.BitlockerExtension.OnEnable() in X:\bt\1132456\repo\src\BitLocker\BitlockerIaasVMExtension\BitlockerExtension.cs:line 1970

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

7. Allow raising DSv4 quota via the portal

Since at least the 11th, I have been unable to raise DSv4 quotas the normal way in the portal, because they're missing from the list. Each time I have to try my luck via various support channels to get a staff member to raise my core quota. It takes a long time, and burns a lot of time at Microsoft and with me. I have an open production incident right now, in fact, open for a number of hours, because I am unable to raise the DSv4 quota in the semi-automated manner.

Cross referencing case numbers:

https://twitter.com/danfarina/status/1319410593598615552

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Bugs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. SPOT SIZE AND GPU BUGS

Azure needs to stick to flaws, one on the windows system and one on the portal - both serious.

1: The modification of azure spot shares, even if made, is not recognized when the VM Spot changes its size or even when it is created. For some reason, even though the regional Spot limit has been increased to, for example, 72, it is stuck in the standard limit of 10 in the standard. The message is "10 left out of 72 cpu".

2) This is a serious and costly mistake. Most Nvidia cards are not fully recognized by Windows. Only…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

9. Rubenzandbergen025@Outlook.com

Omschakelen naar werk account

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

10. Rubenzandbergen025@Outlook.com

Wisselen van persoonlijk naar bedrijf

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

11. KeyVaultForWindows does not install the full certificate chain

Azure Key Vault Extension, KeyVaultForWindows installs only the leaf certificate and not the full chain. Is this the expected behavior?

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

12. The New-AzVM cmdlet no longer works

The page is: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/virtual-machines/windows/quick-create-powershell

This command, copied directly from the toturial and run in the Azure Cloud Shell: New-AzVm `

-ResourceGroupName "myResourceGroup" `

-Name "myVM" `
    -Location "East US" `
    -VirtualNetworkName "myVnet" `
    -SubnetName "mySubnet" `
    -SecurityGroupName "myNetworkSecurityGroup" `
    -PublicIpAddressName "myPublicIpAddress" `
    -OpenPorts 80,3389

Generates the following error:

New-AzVM: The property 'securityProfile.encryptionAtHost' is not valid because the 'Microsoft.Compute/EncryptionAtHost' feature is not enabled for this subscription

Please help!

I've run this same command before, and never got this error. It is happening on all of my subscriptions.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

13. Standard NV4as_v4 instance: AMD driver is not running after installing 20.Q1.1 driver

Reproduce steps:
    1. Deploy a fresh NV4asv4 instance
    2. Download 20.Q1.1 driver from Azure documentation page.
    3. RDP to the instance.
    4. Run AMD driver installer.
    5. Reboot machine.
    6. RDP to the instance
    Result: AMD driver is not running. Logs and screenshot are attached in AMD
    issue.zip file

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

14. Source image for adding images to shared image gallery must be uniquely identified across different resource groups

Source image for adding images to shared image gallery must be uniquely identified across different resource groups

There are two images with same name in different resource groups and therefore I am unable to identify the source image that I want to be included in shared image gallery. See screen shot. One way out of this mess was trial and error. Customer was not appreciative of this mechanism.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

15. Password Reset also working as new user creations

i have windows 10 running on VM with username - XX2020Az

I forgot the password of it, then when i want to change password through reset password on virtual machine resources...

i type username-XX2020A and reset the password.. once login found there are two users are there with admin privelieges XX2020Az & XX2020A

then i realize that there is issues on VM Password reset.. Password reset is working in both the ways 1-Reset the password, 2- Creating new users.. I think there is some coding issues... kindly check it

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

16. The virtual machines of the B series do not inform about the bandwidth. All series report about bandwidth except type B machines. Accordin

The virtual machines of the B series do not inform about the bandwidth.

All series report about bandwidth except type B machines.

According to Microsoft they do not inform because it is a variant connection, but at least they should indicate the minimum and maximum.

As in all series in the NIC part, the bandwidth must also appear.

25 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Bugs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for the valid suggestion. Your feedback is now open for the user community to upvote which allows us to effectively prioritize your request against our existing feature list and also gives us insight into the potential impact of implementing the suggested feature

17. Update-AzVmss throws error : Azure PowerShell deployment To deploy the extension on a virtual machine scale set

while i ran this command in windows powershell admin mode
    $vmss = Get-AzVmss -ResourceGroupName <ResourceGroupName> -VMScaleSetName <VmssName>

Update-AzVmss -ResourceGroupName <ResourceGroupName> -VMScaleSetName <VmssName> -VirtualMachineScaleSet $vmss

By passing <VmssName> and <ResourceGroupName> got below exception PS C:\windows\system32> Update-AzVmss -ResourceGroupName "gave my fabric clusters resource group name" -VMScaleSetName "ExpInt" -VirtualMachineScaleSet $vmss
    Update-AzVmss : Long running operation failed with status 'Failed'. Additional Info:'VM has reported a failure when processing extension 'KeyVaultForWindows'. Error message: "Failed to parse
    the configuration settings with: 'not an object'"
    More information on troubleshooting is available at https://aka.ms/vmextensionwindowstroubleshoot '
    ErrorCode: VMExtensionProvisioningError
    ErrorMessage: VM has reported a failure when processing extension 'KeyVaultForWindows'. ErrorMessage:…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Daylight Savings not considered in VM

I live in UK.
    I created a VM, deployed in West US (of course because Azure UK/Europe is facing overloading), so when I logged into VM the time is showing 1 hour behind. I believe the Daylight saving after March 29th is not considered.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

19. az vm create (windows server) - parameter linuxConfiguration is invalid

$ az --version
    azure-cli 2.0.77

command-modules-nspkg 2.0.3
    core 2.0.77
    nspkg 3.0.4
    telemetry 1.0.4

Python location '/opt/az/bin/python3'
    Extensions directory '/home/xxxxxxxx/.azure/cliextensions'

Python (Linux) 3.6.5 (default, Nov 22 2019, 05:32:09)
    [GCC 7.4.0]

Legal docs and information: aka.ms/AzureCliLegal
    Your CLI is up-to-date.

>>> azcli script <<<
    az group create ...
    az storage account create ...
    az disk create ...
    az network nic create ...

az vm create --name ${RESOURCENAME} \
    --admin-password VerySecret \
    --admin-username AdminAccount \
    --attach-data-disks ${DATADISK01} \
    --authentication-type password \
    --boot-diagnostics-storage ${STORAGEACCOUNT} \
    --enable-agent true \
    --image MicrosoftSQLServer:sql2019-ws2019:sqldev:latest \
    --location westeurope
    --nics ${NETWORKCARD} \
    --os-disk-caching ReadWrite \
    --os-disk-name ${OSDISKNAME} \
    --size Standard…

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

20. CSE executed before cloud-init

Hello,

I have an ARM template with VM + CSE script to be executed.
    I've provided a cloud-init config through customData parameter.

My cloud-init looks as follows:
    $ cloud-config
    package_upgrade: true
    package_update: true
    packages:
    - libssl-dev
    - libffi-dev
    - python-dev
    runcmd:
    - curl -sL <a rel="nofollow noreferrer" href="https://aka.ms/InstallAzureCLIDeb">https://aka.ms/InstallAzureCLIDeb</a> | sudo bash
    - az aks install-cli

Within the CSE script, I'm trying to run az login command, but I keep getting an error az: command not found.

When I ssh into VM, I can see az working just fine.

Actual behavior

I've looked through logs, and this is what I…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

← Previous 1 3 4 5
  • Don't see your idea?

Virtual Machines

Categories

Feedback and Knowledge Base