Virtual Machines

How can we improve Azure Virtual Machines?

(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Impossible to filter the Azure REST API SKU information

When query the Azure REST API to retrieve SKU information with the following URL
    https://management.azure.com/subscriptions/{SubscriptionId}/providers/Microsoft.Compute/skus?api-version=2017-09-01
    This query currently return around of 574000 lines and 6,18 Mb.
    This API query can't be used as a dataSourceBinding in a DevOps task definition, because a response size limitation exists.

50 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

3 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Allow provisioned VM pricing to be altered to add software licensing without reprovisioning

As an Azure VM user/administrator, I would like to be able to take an existing VM priced at one rate, and "upgrade" the pricing to include licensing for products installed after provisioning. I would like this to provide flexibility (e.g., if I want to install SQL Server on a Windows priced VM, without losing install/configuration work already undertaken on that VM and without independently licensing SQL; or if I want to add BizTalk to a Win/SQL-priced VM). I would also like this to allow simplified compliance (e.g., a Windows-priced VM is found to have SQL Server installed after provisioning), to…

89 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10 comments  ·  Windows  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Allow update of gallery image for VMSS

When referencing a custom image in a VMSS from a Shared Image Gallery (Preview), it cannot be updated to refer to a new image. This results in an error code "PropertyChangeNotAllowed".

Today, a VMSS can be updated to a new image reference when it references a managed image that does not reside in a Shared Image Gallery.

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  VMSS  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Virtual Machine Console Access Part Deux

The previous post suggesting the addition of basic VM functionality was inappropriately marked "completed" serial console was added.

The serial console is better than nothing, but just barely, and was not at all what was being requested by that post.

What we need is a equivalent of the VMware Remote Console.

Previous post: https://feedback.azure.com/forums/216843-virtual-machines/suggestions/3761826-virtual-machine-console-access

12 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Support for Teams & SFB on Windows Virtual Desktop

With the release of Windows Virtual desktops on Azure, the multisession W10 offering does not support either of the Collaboration Tools, SFB or Teams. The support of these office apps with pass through support for peripherals is vital to make this offering viable. Please can this be looked at and delivered when the service goes public on Azure

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/virtual-desktop/set-up-customize-master-image

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Windows  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. storing vmSize with the exactly the same capitalization independently how VM was created

VmSize is stored with the capitalization how it was called during creation (v2 <> V2).

VM with v2
    az vm create -n clitest1 -g SAP --image UbuntuLTS --size Standard_D13_v2

az vm show -g SAP -n clitest1 -d

"hardwareProfile": {
    "vmSize": "Standard_D13_v2"

VM with V2
    az vm create -n clitest2 -g SAP --image UbuntuLTS --size Standard_D13_V2

az vm show -g SAP -n clitest2 -d

"hardwareProfile": {
    "vmSize": "Standard_D13_V2"

It causes additional data cleaning necessary during azure data analyzes.
    Please correct
    thanks
    István

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Bugs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Azure VM unable to configure auto shut down, encountered error

I tried to enable the auto shut-down for my VM, and I encountered this problem.
    Schedule failed to update {"error":{"code":"MissingSubscriptionRegistration","message":"The subscription is not registered to use namespace 'Microsoft.DevTestLab'. See https://aka.ms/rps-not-found for how to register subscriptions.","details":[{"code":"MissingSubscriptionRegistration","target":"Microsoft.DevTestLab","message":"The subscription is not registered to use namespace 'Microsoft.DevTestLab'. See https://aka.ms/rps-not-found for how to register subscriptions."}]}}

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Windows  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Azure Disk Encryption - Ability to auto update Key Encryption Key

Azure Disk Encryption - Ability to auto update Key Encryption Key

We have a requirement to rotate the key used for Azure Disk Encryption. It would be good if there was a way to always reference the latest version of a KEK. We could then configure the disk encryption extension to refer to latest version of the KEK. If we update the KEK the extension should pick up the change and automatically update the BEK used to encrypt the disk.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Display installed Azure extension from within the Add Extensions menu

Provide a mechanism to surface (display) installed Azure Extensions from within the Add menu. For example, I have the Network Watcher Agent (NWA) installed, but when I click <Add> and go into the Extensions menu NWA is still available as an option along with other installed extension. Ideally, add a checkmark to the icon or something like it to depict that the Extenstion has already been installed.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for the valid suggestion. Your feedback is now open for the user community to upvote & comment on. This allows us to effectively prioritize your request against our existing feature backlog and also gives us insight into the potential impact of implementing the suggested feature.

10. create an IaaS VM - D1s v3 (1CPU, 4GB) spec

The equivalent spec is a last generation DS1 v2 (1 CPU 3.5GB)
    The latest v3 generation should be D1s v3 (1 CPU, 4GB)

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. Improve image gallery replication to other region

image replication to other region fail or limited to 1

Code="ReplicationJobsNotCompleted" Message="The replication job has not completed at region: 'eastasia'. You can try to reduce the number of the target regions when you first create the gallery image version, then update the gallery image version by adding more target regions.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Bugs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. Add "VM JIT Requestor" role to Resource/RG level role list

Quite often, I want to grant users login access to an Azure VM without giving them contributor access to modify the metadata associated with the VM itself. However, while Reader access gives users access to the Azure portal, and Virtual Machine User Login access allows users to login to the VM once in the portal, neither the aforementioned roles nor any other predefined role provides the ability to request JIT access to the VM.

My workaround has been to create a cusotm role with the following allowed action: Microsoft.Security/locations/jitNetworkAccessPolicies/initiate/action

However, this seems like an action that should either be allowed…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. 3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. The portal just told me my Public IP would be lost despite it being reserved

When I went to shut down a VM I got the message in the portal warning me the Public IP would be lost. This VM had a reserved PIP however and when I shut it down it did not dealloc the PIP so the warning was a false alarm. Seems like a bug there. VM was in Australia East.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. Fix or allow automated cleanup for orphaned Microsoft Hyper-V Network adapters on Azure VM's

We have identified an issue with our Azure VM environment.

We use an Automation script to stop and start our VM's every night - however it seems that every time the VM's start up a new virtual network adapter is created, leaving potentially hundreds of old orphaned ones on the system (showing up as Microsoft Hyper-V Network Adapter #123).

In itself this is merely an inconvenience but we have twice experienced an issue where after a certain number of these orphaned adapters have built up the VM's fail to create a new working adapter with the effect that network communications…

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Windows  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. unable to see pricing for some images

Customers are unable to see the pricing for some images while creating the VM. Example Canonical Ubuntu images. Although, the images are free. It would great for the customers to see the price as free rather than to see " Pricing unavailable for these images.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Linux  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. Enable Powershell Cmdlet for migrating VMSS to use Managed Disk

Similar to the cmdlet ConvertTo-AzVMManagedDisk - have an option to trigger a VMSS migration to use Managed Disk

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  VMSS  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. Global Admin should have capability to view Reserved Instance reservations.

Global admins SHOULD be able to view (or at least manage permissions) of Reserved Instance reservations in the Azure portal. Currently, only the purchaser and account owner can manage the permissions. This is contradictory to everything else in Azure, where a Global Admin alywas has the capability to change permissions (acting as a User Access Administrator).

On a secondary note, Read-only admins in the Enterprise Agreement portal should also have the ability to view reserved instance data.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Windows  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. Prevent the 'failed' state when VMSS autoscaled to subnet namespace size

VMSS easily turn 'failed' status with following step and cannot recover without delete and re-create the VMSS.

Repro step is:
    1. Create Vnet and subnets. The address space of subnet for VMSS is /27 (for example)
    2. Create AppGW(Small/1instance, no publicIP) in Vnet
    3. Create VMSS under AppGW
    ... set the Autoscale rule as Min/Max/default : 2/25/2
    ... In my case, I created Standard_DS1_v2 size VMSS
    4. change Autoscale parameter to 16/25/16
    5. change Autoscale parameter to 25/25/25
    =>reproduces

want to prevent the state. thanks,

11 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  VMSS  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. Swapping the unhealthy physical node at starting VM

For running VM, "Service healing" will prevents down-time.
    On the other hands, for initiation of VM, user have to wait for VM fully starts and user cannot detect the reason why VM starts slowly.

I would propose that Azure automatically retry starting VM on another node in case Azure detect unhealthy node events.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

← Previous 1 3 4 5 68 69
  • Don't see your idea?

Virtual Machines

Feedback and Knowledge Base