Virtual Machines

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Unexpected restart of Azure VMs due to Azure Healthy Monitoring system

Recently in our deployment in SE Asia (Singapore) DC, we had an unexpected restart of one of our VMs which is a Production Application Server. The Database server was fine. In 20 minutes it was back, but that 20 minute happened to be peak hours for our customers and we received quite a few brickbats on the reliability. This is 3rd such instance and it was a very tough scenario with customers who are hosted on that server.

We don't have Availability Sets configured. We also understand, Azure's SLA of 99.95% can be realized only when we configure Availability Sets.…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Microsoft
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Windows  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Impossible to connect with Virtual Machine

Hello,
    I've been really trying to use Azure Virtual Machine for a few days.
    I only managed to connect to my virtual machine once, and even then the machine stopped working, froze, require restart. etc, so I couldn't really use it.
    It was a very bad experience and a terrible waste of my time.

Since I created machines, but couldn't use them, I would kindly ask to return my credits.
    Best regards,

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3. Increase VM Maximum username of 15 characters

Increase VM Maximum username of 15 characters to 30 characters. More characters = better security.

Why this was reduced when new VM's and containers where added is unexplained anywhere I could find. It makes no sense from a security point of view

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Windows  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Allow Windows 7 and Windows 10 Clients!

I joined Azure with the intent of setting up a complete disaster recovery network with servers and clients. But, I immediately discovered that you don't allow client PCs. This is crazy. Typical Microsoft. Will see if AWS allows Windows client computers.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5. Let me run Windows10 UWP Apps (or code) in Azure

With Windows10 universal apps I can now run my code anywhere...except in Azure. I'd like to run that common code on a server in Azure as well.

My use case is this. I have some complex logic using Win2D and the new MediaComposition libraries that combines images, video, audio and other media into an output video. (By the way, it's too complex for Azure Media Services today.) In cases where my customers aren't on Windows 10 (or on a Windows device at all) I'd like to run that logic in Azure and let them download the results. I really don't…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6. Customer & Sales Service

I am new to your service. I think you have great offerings, but the sales service is simply poor. For the past few days, I have tried but in vain to get through your sales/pre-sales department to get advise what Azure services will best suit my needs so i can purchase ( I am currently with digital ocena)

Can you point to the right direction please?

A point to note, that as someone new to Azure, it can be overwhelming to get started due to the sheer amount of information, and the lack of coordinated 1-stop shop help for your…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Windows  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Give us the ability to load windows 7, pos read 7, windows 8, windows 8.1

When it comes down to it those of us who actually use the msdn and the services, want to run and test both client and server builds, giving us access to client hardware that is on the same network as our servers would be excellent. I am in a hurting to install 2 or 3 clients windows 8.1 and pos read7 to do some actual testing. I know I can upload my own image file but it is overly inconvenient. since i have to down load the os from your servers and then convert the vhd and re-upload, when installing…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. show size of VM images and which VM sizes they fit in

I went through a hot or miss effort to find a VM size that would not present the warning "The selected image is too large for the OS cache of the selected instance". It would be helpful to see the size of the images when selecting and a filter option when selecting VM sizes for the chosen image that fit into OS cache.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Thanks for the valid suggestion. Your feedback is now open for the user community to upvote which allows us to effectively prioritize your request against our existing feature list and also gives us insight into the potential impact of implementing the suggested feature

9. Allow Multiple disk attach/detach to VM simultaneously.

Right now API virtual_machines.create_or_update is single threaded can we make it multi threaded or can we throttle request coming to server at server end by keeping semaphore or any another approach which is suitable to design . Currently it shows error like GenericError: Changing property 'dataDisk.managedDisk.id' is not allowed which so generic and naive it should have some kind of intelligence at back end .

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Thanks for the valid suggestion. Your feedback is now open for the user community to upvote which allows us to effectively prioritize your request against our existing feature list and also gives us insight into the potential impact of implementing the suggested feature

10. An easy way to copy VM

Hope there's an easy way in Azure portal for VM copy, for example: A Copy Button. When I click the button, it will create a new VM same configration as the original one.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. Get notify on non-impacting update for some business/mission critical Azure VMs

Some servers is network sensitive can't afford few seconds of network outage caused by Azure non-impacting update.

The 2 Azure NetApp HA instances in our environment suffer unexpected reboot every time non-impacting update happens and also lead to other third-party replication services failed and halted.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. A feature to deny the internet access from Azure Virtual machine and also wanted to manually upgrade the window patching

A feature to deny the internet access from Azure Virtual machine and also wanted to manually upgrade the window patching

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. VMSS scaleset /VM creation validation is successful the images that were not generalized.

Customer's are feeling mislead when the validation shows successful although they are using images captured from ungeneralized VM's. if there is possibilty to validate if the OS is good or corrupted it would be great.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. Fix the recently broken time entry field for automation schedules, VM auto-shutodown

The Azure portal used to accept times in the format like 1200 or 1700, etc. After a recent change, the format is very rigid and must now be like "5:00:00 PM". Any deviation from that erase user input and reverts. Very annoying, and caused errors for us.

Example locations for time entry are VM auto-shutdown and Automation schedules.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. Allocation failed. We do not have sufficient capacity for the requested VM size in this region

When is this problem going to be fixed? This article https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/virtual-machines/troubleshooting/allocation-failure was written in early 18 so it's clearly been forgot about.

We were told to move to ARM from Classic as this problem was mitigated but if anything it's worse. In the entire West Europe region, we can only provision 19 d14_v2s at any given time!

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

triaged  ·  0 comments  ·  Windows  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. Support Windows 10 with Azure Accelerated Networking. Please!

Currently Windows 2012 and 2016 support Azure Accelerated Networking. Can you please add Windows 10 to the list. As more and more virtual desktops are deployed to Azure this is coming an increased important.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Automatically generalize VM's upon image creation

In the Azure Gov online portal, if you create an image from a VM it will enter a fail state because it is an unprepared image. Microsoft will direct you to these docs for creating a generalized VM: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/virtual-machines/windows/upload-generalized-managed. All of this should be done during image creation, and new VM's created from those images should work out of the box

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Add option to control VM agent log placement and rotation

Currently all the agents that can be deployed onto an Azure Windows VM log into two hardwired folders: C:\WindowsAzure and C:\Packages\Plugins.

Also, much (all?) of the actual agent binaries are also placed in these files, including any newer versions.

Unfortunately neither the logs, nor the older defunct binaries are removed. Using 30+ Windows VMs for around a year, with Diagnostic Agents, Backup Agents, DSC lcm, and others. Neither of these clean up any of their "litters" generated during their operation.

This means, the above folders (especially WIndowsAzure) continues to grow indefinitely. Currently these are on around 3-5GB of size for…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Have Azure Update Manager update itself for installations on premises.

We've had vm's drop from inventory and were notified that the Azure Update Manager installed on premises needed to be manually updated. It would be great if the agent could reach out and check for new updates and update itself automatically.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Basic_A0 size should not list out when create Windows 2016 server from Azure portal

The least RAM required for Windows 2016 server deployment is 512MB to boot. while Basic_A0 size VM has only 768MB Memory size. This size is not suitable for Windows 2016 server deployment in Azure. Since it will require more than 768 MB to login and operate normal things.

Can you please move the Basic_A0 size out of the VM size list when we are creating Windows 2016 servers? this can avoid some issue.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/virtual-machines/windows/sizes-previous-gen

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

Virtual Machines

Categories

Feedback and Knowledge Base