Virtual Machines

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Remove drive A: (virtual floppy disk)

How can one possibly "insert" a floppy disk there?

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Microsoft
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

1 comment  ·  Windows  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Create a Windows Virtual Machine with name of more than 15 characters

I understand that Azure limits Windows virtual machine names to 15 chars max - if i undestand right it's because of the legacy NetBios protocol - It would be great if this thin can be change and we can create more than 15 chars - if I want my machine name to hold the machine IP - only 4 time 3 chars plus the delimiters gets us to 15 chars
    ... (like 192.108.150.100 - 15 chars)

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Windows  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Auto update of ports

It is very problem to open the ports in office environment. from past one month I am working from home as azure port are blocked in my office, we need to follow up with my local network team to open ports every time when we create new VM, instead of that we need give the range of ports to our network admin to open but we are not sure while creating VM what is ports open by azure, we have feature of giving manually while creating but I need to check for free ports in my range and give it.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4. Failover Cluster support besides SQL AlwaysOn

It would be great for failover clustering to be supported with Azure VMs as it would allow my customers to migrate all their thinkable on-premises workloads to Azure. Move to an Azure-only environment is being asked more frequently.
    Shared VHDX and a way to get a valid cluster IP address seems to be key for this to get operational.
    It would be a perfect in combination with availability sets for e.g. file server clusters, SQL failover clusters, custom application clusters

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Windows  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. 4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6. Virtual Machines Disks view must show disk size

In Virtual Machines when you switch to Disks view, it’s very useful to show each disk size! I mean a new column with this important information.
    Please, this is a simple information, but helps a lot.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7. Disable Server Manager on startup

Please configure Windows Server images on Azure not to load Server Manager on startup (as EC2 does). This is a slow loading and resource consuming app that's mostly unnecessary for Azure VMs, and it's slowing down connecting to the machine via RDP.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Thanks for the valid suggestion. Your feedback is now open for the user community to upvote which allows us to effectively prioritize your request against our existing feature backlog and also gives us insight into the potential impact of implementing the suggested feature.

8. 3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. Fix or allow automated cleanup for orphaned Microsoft Hyper-V Network adapters on Azure VM's

We have identified an issue with our Azure VM environment.

We use an Automation script to stop and start our VM's every night - however it seems that every time the VM's start up a new virtual network adapter is created, leaving potentially hundreds of old orphaned ones on the system (showing up as Microsoft Hyper-V Network Adapter #123).

In itself this is merely an inconvenience but we have twice experienced an issue where after a certain number of these orphaned adapters have built up the VM's fail to create a new working adapter with the effect that network communications…

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. Change the VM OS Disk Size during Creation

Hello,

At this point, you can't select the OS disk size for your VM during the creation and if you want to reduce the disk size, you need to perform loads of steps.
    It will be really good to have the option to select the disk size during the VM creation. So we would be able to chose a smaller or even bigger disk size for UnManaged and Managed disks.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. Allows Custom Script Extension to access Private GitHub Repositories

While possible to specify account name and key for accessing blob storage when using the Custom Script Extension. There does not seem the ability to access a private GitHub repository by specifying an access token.

It would be good to have this ability to have private repository access to control VM extension scripts without needing to make them public or copy to blob storage.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. Azure VM with Optane

It'd be good if one could deploy an Azure SQL VM with persistent memory devices like Intel Optane.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. Allow Premium Disks connected to NV* VM

Allow Premium Disks connected to NV* VMs

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. Reset Remote Desktop service configuration

The "Reset Remote Desktop service configuration" function should include resetting the (possibly modified) RDP port number to 3389 in the registry.

The registry key is HKEYLOCALMACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\TerminalServer\WinStations\RDP-Tcp\PortNumber

This may be a non-typical cause for inability to get into RDP contact with the VM, but when it is the problem then resetting the port number would be a life-saver. It would have saved me quite a few hours and the expenditure of a support incident.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. High Security versions of VM images

Currently after a VM is selected and loaded, the Security Center reports a high number of vulnerabilities to Remediate. For example, the Windows Server 2016 Datacenter image lists 151 issues. Remediation creates a great deal of work to research and implement.

Ideally, in addition to the "standard" image, a "high security" version would be available that would have all OS vulnerabilities remediated, which would have no issues reported in Security Center.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. 3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Make certificateUrl optional for HTTPS WinRM

Requiring that I either generate a certificate for every VM before I create the VM or use the same certificate for HTTPS configuration of WinRM is not ideal (you can't ever change the reference certificateUrl after creating the VM, and it has to reference a specific secret version).

Please auto-generate a self-signed certificate if the certificateUrl is ommitted.

It should be as simple as SSH on Linux VMs which is auto-configured on first boot!

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Check Virtual Machine Resources availability before starting Virtual Machine

Check Virtual Machine Resources availability before starting Virtual Machine. We have got serveral "Failed" errors when starting a Virtual Machine on an Availability Group due the lack of resources ( CPU, RAM ... etc ) on ARM infrastructure. We have autostart and Stop script that runs daily, it's interesting to have a Powershell Command to check if there ara enought resources to start a Virtual MAchine prior to execute the Start-AzureRMVM, so we can move this VM to another Availabilty Group or zone to avoid "failed" status.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Increase VM Maximum username of 15 characters

Increase VM Maximum username of 15 characters to 30 characters. More characters = better security.

Why this was reduced when new VM's and containers where added is unexplained anywhere I could find. It makes no sense from a security point of view

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Generate Power Shell Script instead of creating the VM

It would be useful to be able to go to through VM Wizard and instead of creating the VM at the end you had the option of generating a script to do the job.

In fact this would be a really useful feature for many of the portal wizards.

It would teach you Azure powershell as well as make your life easier by allowing you to quickly spin up environments.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

Virtual Machines

Categories

Feedback and Knowledge Base