Virtual Machines

How can we improve Azure Virtual Machines?

(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Image name on VM infor page

On Azure control panel. On VM information page i like to see image name that i used to create this VM. currently it says OS type: Windows. this won't give me enough information on instell OS on this VM. If i can see exact image name that i picked at the time of creating this VM would be really helpfull.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: oidc
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Windows  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Auto-Shutdown feature

When I click on the links in the email notification of auto-shutdown, it just redirects me to the page with the error. Seems the link contained in the email doesn't function properly

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3. Azure VM with Optane

It'd be good if one could deploy an Azure SQL VM with persistent memory devices like Intel Optane.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4. Start/Stop VMs during off-hours solution in Azure Automation - Weekend Option

Good morning,
    "Start/Stop VMs during off-hours solution in Azure Automation" is a great solution to allow us to make easier the VM on/off.
    But please, is there the possibility to add the option "Stay off during weekend" or "stay off from... to ....".
    Thank you

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5. DSC extension install without running node configuration

Installing the DSC extension should not run the node configuration.
    The node configuration is likely to change over time, might not exist at the time of install or could have errors. If any of those things are true, it's the responsibility of DSC in Automations to point this out, not the extension.

The extension install should only go as far as registering with the automation account, configuring the LCM and setting the node configuration name.

This is currently causing me problems with Terraform as the initial run fails every time due to the node configurations not existing at deployment time.…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6. Avoid broken links on Azure web site

On an Azure windows instance there is a file called DATALOSS_WARNING_README.txt on disk D: referring to
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windowsazure/jj672979.aspx. When I open that page it shows " Note

This article will be removed from the Azure library in the coming weeks. Newer information is available on the Azure website. See About disks and VHDs for virtual machines and About images for virtual machines."

So this will become a broken link!!
    (why the heck to web sites change their links all the time?)

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7. Control Paging File setting during VM/VMSS deployment

VMs of small sizes (~2GBs RAM) are encountering OutOfMemoryException errors while running Custom Script extensions (Windows Updates consuming memory space after deployment).

A solution would be to add custom paging file settings controls to the VM/VMSS API to ensure that Windows has a sufficient pagefile size prior to deployment, rather than System Managed capacities that will be unrealistically small due to small Temporary Drive volume sizes (e.g. 1 GB of Page File size for a 10 GB temporary drive).

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. Include private ip in the Virtual Machine Overview page

Include private ip information in the Virtual Machine Overview page together with the public ip.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. There should be an option to connect to VM in browser so if host machine has restriction that user can still access on browser.

There should be an option to connect to VM in browser so if host machine has restriction that user can still access on browser.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. Like we have Add-Azurermvmdatadisk, Can't we have Get-Azurermvmdatadisk for fetching details for the data disk

As of now I use get-azurermvm -resourcegroupname $vm.resourcegroupname -name $vm.name).StorageProfile).DataDisks

while searching CMDLET Get-Azurermvmdatadisk, seems that it was there before. Why this get removed?

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. How to delete/update/modify a NAT rule in vmss ?

How to delete/update/modify a NAT rule in vmss ?

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. Enable 'Run' context thru Visual Studio Code

One should be able to remotely get to an Azure VM's 'Run' context thru Visual Studio Code or Powershell ISE.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. VM's are too difficult to use on Azure.

Why do you make it so hard to use a VM? I should be able to click it from the Dashboard and get a remote desktop session. This is how Skytap works.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. Managed disk snapshot governance should be integrated with Recovery services vault.

There are many applications that aren't VSS-aware. There are many Linux workloads like Openshift that are incompatible with Azure backup. However they are compatible with Managed disk snapshots ie. the application doesn't break when restored from snapshot but does when restored from Azure backup. The snapshot governance should be as granular and sophisticated as backup's

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Windows  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. Simplify VM creation

It has taken me an hour so far and I'm still not past enabling SSL. It is my contention that the whole VM creation process (currently a ton of powershell commands) could be replaced by a SINGLE power command like the following:

% createvm -type windows -features iis ssl sql dotnet

This command could prompt for credentials and names of various things. The current powershell commands with long MiXeDcAsE names are okay to copy/paste but why not pack more power into them and make it easy to type them and remember them.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. Cannot believe that the DSVM for windows is not available for lebanon!!!

I am trying to set up a DSVM and it is giving me that the size option are not available for your location!!

this should be communicated before we set it up and add our cards.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. How about restricting unauthorized administrative rights to peoples personal computers

Administrative remote access using powershell to gain full permissions on private network computer, using a virtual machine to restrict full capabilities on hardrive, a hardrive that was not anyone else's property, and forcing all data and management onto a virtual network that the user could not leave, is deplorable. It sounds expensive, too. Well, whoever they are, they won't get a dime from the person they had their thumb over. Also, I'm a novice at this stuff, but it's clear that, even if I don't have all the facts straight, I'm beginning to believe that I'm not entirely as unstable…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Allow a VM to be instantly turned off

At the moment, we cannot instantly Power Off a VM (ie "Pull the Plug").

Instead when you click STOP or run the Sop-AzureRMVm cmdlet, the VM goes through a clean shutdown..

This is fine, unless you have a "Production" machine that has, for example, locked up and needs an instant power off and reboot. (ie the equivalent of hitting a reset button or pulling the plug out of the wall)

it can take anywhere from 15 minute to 30 minutes to just power down a VM in Azure when all we want is to power cycle it to get it…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. YOUR VM SPEED IS TOO SLOW AS EARLIER

VM SPEED IS NOT AS BETER AS EARLIER.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Convert Disk from Premim to Standar

Hello, I think it is a good idea to make a script available that is capable of changing the disk type of the virtual machines. I know there's a script to make change from a standard disc to premium, but not to the contrary.
    This will greatly facilitate the work when it is necessary to downgrade a machine, without having to recreate it

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

Virtual Machines

Feedback and Knowledge Base