Virtual Machines

How can we improve Azure Virtual Machines?

(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Let me run Windows10 UWP Apps (or code) in Azure

With Windows10 universal apps I can now run my code anywhere...except in Azure. I'd like to run that common code on a server in Azure as well.

My use case is this. I have some complex logic using Win2D and the new MediaComposition libraries that combines images, video, audio and other media into an output video. (By the way, it's too complex for Azure Media Services today.) In cases where my customers aren't on Windows 10 (or on a Windows device at all) I'd like to run that logic in Azure and let them download the results. I really don't…

2 votes
    Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Windows  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    • Customer & Sales Service

I am new to your service. I think you have great offerings, but the sales service is simply poor. For the past few days, I have tried but in vain to get through your sales/pre-sales department to get advise what Azure services will best suit my needs so i can purchase ( I am currently with digital ocena)

Can you point to the right direction please?

A point to note, that as someone new to Azure, it can be overwhelming to get started due to the sheer amount of information, and the lack of coordinated 1-stop shop help for your…

2 votes
      Sign in
      Check!
      (thinking…)
      Reset
      or sign in with
      • facebook
      • google
        Password icon
        Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Windows  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
      • Give us the ability to load windows 7, pos read 7, windows 8, windows 8.1

When it comes down to it those of us who actually use the msdn and the services, want to run and test both client and server builds, giving us access to client hardware that is on the same network as our servers would be excellent. I am in a hurting to install 2 or 3 clients windows 8.1 and pos read7 to do some actual testing. I know I can upload my own image file but it is overly inconvenient. since i have to down load the os from your servers and then convert the vhd and re-upload, when installing…

2 votes
        Sign in
        Check!
        (thinking…)
        Reset
        or sign in with
        • facebook
        • google
          Password icon
          Signed in as (Sign out)

• Deberian poner bien claro que solo ofrecen alta disponibilidad si el cliente usa un High availabilty Set; Azure reinicia las VM

Azure reinicia las VM cuando se presenta alguna falla no mantiene la VM encendida moviendola a otro host para tratar con el inconveniente, "la reinicia" y si el problema de la maquina no se corrige la apaga y la mueve a otro host sin problemas, le importa poco si tu data se corrompe debido a ello; y cuando lo observas te piden que tengas un high availability set para contar con alta disponibilidad, contar con el SLA prometido y que no te veas afectado; lo que significa mas costos al duplicar cada VM pero eso no es todo ya que…

1 vote
          Sign in
          Check!
          (thinking…)
          Reset
          or sign in with
          • facebook
          • google
            Password icon
            Signed in as (Sign out)

• Azure VM unable to configure auto shut down, encountered error

I tried to enable the auto shut-down for my VM, and I encountered this problem.
            Schedule failed to update {"error":{"code":"MissingSubscriptionRegistration","message":"The subscription is not registered to use namespace 'Microsoft.DevTestLab'. See https://aka.ms/rps-not-found for how to register subscriptions.","details":[{"code":"MissingSubscriptionRegistration","target":"Microsoft.DevTestLab","message":"The subscription is not registered to use namespace 'Microsoft.DevTestLab'. See https://aka.ms/rps-not-found for how to register subscriptions."}]}}

1 vote
            Sign in
            Check!
            (thinking…)
            Reset
            or sign in with
            • facebook
            • google
              Password icon
              Signed in as (Sign out)

• Allow remote desktop to be enabled and disabled between users and devices without sign-in

Allow remote desktop to be enabled and disabled between users and devices without sign-in.

1 vote
              Sign in
              Check!
              (thinking…)
              Reset
              or sign in with
              • facebook
              • google
                Password icon
                Signed in as (Sign out)

• I would like a hotfix for 3035025 for the Windows 2016 platform

I would like a hotfix for 3035025 for the Windows 2016 platform

1 vote
                Sign in
                Check!
                (thinking…)
                Reset
                or sign in with
                • facebook
                • google
                  Password icon
                  Signed in as (Sign out)

• Cannot create a VM using GRS Backup in another region

It looks like Microsoft is busy creating many products but they are not thinking about the basic necessity of product. I have given so much suggestion to Microsoft for product improvement and they implemented. Thanks for that. Currently, I just wanted to know Why you are not allowing the customer to spin up any VM from recovery GRS vault to create VM in the paired region? If this is not possible then I don't think so there is any real use case of GRS backup. Looks like they have not thought about the basic of the product. If a data…

1 vote
                  Sign in
                  Check!
                  (thinking…)
                  Reset
                  or sign in with
                  • facebook
                  • google
                    Password icon
                    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Azure should be support expandable file size like thin provisioning in VMware

We have a product having more than 10000 customer which comes in ova format ( expandable file size from 6.51 to 800GB). This file easily deployed in Vmware as well as AWS cloud. Now our customer wants support for Azure but Azure is supporting integer file size like 6GB,7GB ( as per discussion with support team). Also it supports fixed file size not expandable file size. If this kinds of support will provide by Azure then we both will be gain revenue. Otherwise we both will loose revenue.

1 vote
                    Sign in
                    Check!
                    (thinking…)
                    Reset
                    or sign in with
                    • facebook
                    • google
                      Password icon
                      Signed in as (Sign out)

• Change the VM OS Disk Size during Creation

Hello,

At this point, you can't select the OS disk size for your VM during the creation and if you want to reduce the disk size, you need to perform loads of steps.
                      It will be really good to have the option to select the disk size during the VM creation. So we would be able to chose a smaller or even bigger disk size for UnManaged and Managed disks.

1 vote
                      Sign in
                      Check!
                      (thinking…)
                      Reset
                      or sign in with
                      • facebook
                      • google
                        Password icon
                        Signed in as (Sign out)

• Builtin feature to snooze or shutdown VMs on schedule

Rather than customers writing their own code to snooze/shutdown VMs based on a schedule, could Microsoft provide a builtin feature in Azure?

1 vote
                        Sign in
                        Check!
                        (thinking…)
                        Reset
                        or sign in with
                        • facebook
                        • google
                          Password icon
                          Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Windows  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                        • Image name on VM infor page

On Azure control panel. On VM information page i like to see image name that i used to create this VM. currently it says OS type: Windows. this won't give me enough information on instell OS on this VM. If i can see exact image name that i picked at the time of creating this VM would be really helpfull.

1 vote
                          Sign in
                          Check!
                          (thinking…)
                          Reset
                          or sign in with
                          • facebook
                          • google
                            Password icon
                            Signed in as (Sign out)

• Auto-Shutdown feature

When I click on the links in the email notification of auto-shutdown, it just redirects me to the page with the error. Seems the link contained in the email doesn't function properly

1 vote
                            Sign in
                            Check!
                            (thinking…)
                            Reset
                            or sign in with
                            • facebook
                            • google
                              Password icon
                              Signed in as (Sign out)

• Azure VM with Optane

It'd be good if one could deploy an Azure SQL VM with persistent memory devices like Intel Optane.

1 vote
                              Sign in
                              Check!
                              (thinking…)
                              Reset
                              or sign in with
                              • facebook
                              • google
                                Password icon
                                Signed in as (Sign out)

• Start/Stop VMs during off-hours solution in Azure Automation - Weekend Option

Good morning,
                                "Start/Stop VMs during off-hours solution in Azure Automation" is a great solution to allow us to make easier the VM on/off.
                                But please, is there the possibility to add the option "Stay off during weekend" or "stay off from... to ....".
                                Thank you

1 vote
                                Sign in
                                Check!
                                (thinking…)
                                Reset
                                or sign in with
                                • facebook
                                • google
                                  Password icon
                                  Signed in as (Sign out)

• DSC extension install without running node configuration

Installing the DSC extension should not run the node configuration.
                                  The node configuration is likely to change over time, might not exist at the time of install or could have errors. If any of those things are true, it's the responsibility of DSC in Automations to point this out, not the extension.

The extension install should only go as far as registering with the automation account, configuring the LCM and setting the node configuration name.

This is currently causing me problems with Terraform as the initial run fails every time due to the node configurations not existing at deployment time.…

1 vote
                                  Sign in
                                  Check!
                                  (thinking…)
                                  Reset
                                  or sign in with
                                  • facebook
                                  • google
                                    Password icon
                                    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Avoid broken links on Azure web site

On an Azure windows instance there is a file called DATALOSS_WARNING_README.txt on disk D: referring to
                                    http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windowsazure/jj672979.aspx. When I open that page it shows " Note

This article will be removed from the Azure library in the coming weeks. Newer information is available on the Azure website. See About disks and VHDs for virtual machines and About images for virtual machines."

So this will become a broken link!!
                                    (why the heck to web sites change their links all the time?)

1 vote
                                    Sign in
                                    Check!
                                    (thinking…)
                                    Reset
                                    or sign in with
                                    • facebook
                                    • google
                                      Password icon
                                      Signed in as (Sign out)

• Control Paging File setting during VM/VMSS deployment

VMs of small sizes (~2GBs RAM) are encountering OutOfMemoryException errors while running Custom Script extensions (Windows Updates consuming memory space after deployment).

A solution would be to add custom paging file settings controls to the VM/VMSS API to ensure that Windows has a sufficient pagefile size prior to deployment, rather than System Managed capacities that will be unrealistically small due to small Temporary Drive volume sizes (e.g. 1 GB of Page File size for a 10 GB temporary drive).

1 vote
                                      Sign in
                                      Check!
                                      (thinking…)
                                      Reset
                                      or sign in with
                                      • facebook
                                      • google
                                        Password icon
                                        Signed in as (Sign out)

• Include private ip in the Virtual Machine Overview page

Include private ip information in the Virtual Machine Overview page together with the public ip.

1 vote
                                        Sign in
                                        Check!
                                        (thinking…)
                                        Reset
                                        or sign in with
                                        • facebook
                                        • google
                                          Password icon
                                          Signed in as (Sign out)

• Azure Marketplace image for SQL Server 2017 editions on Windows Server 2016 - Server Core

I would like to see a SQL Server 2017 editions on Windows Server 2016 - Server Core included in the Azure Marketplace. The marketplace currently only holds images for the SQL Server on full versions of Windows Server 2016 DC.

Many DBAs are comfortable with SQL Server on Windows Server Core installations. It reduces the overhead over the UI in both resource usage and patches. Also allows for quickly (re)booting nodes to be horizontally scaled when required.

Currently such a configuration can only be achieved by manually preparing a VM image and uploading it to Azure. Which also requires a…

1 vote
                                          Sign in
                                          Check!
                                          (thinking…)
                                          Reset
                                          or sign in with
                                          • facebook
                                          • google
                                            Password icon
                                            Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

Virtual Machines

Feedback and Knowledge Base