Virtual Machines

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. suggestion Add options for Convert Apps with help Virtual Machine in other platform e.g Android

I want have an virtual machine in Other platform instance Android. I suggestion Add options for make Virtual Machine in other platform , like Options Blackberry for this work.
    Add Options tools to help convert Android apps to make them run in the Windows 10 OS. The tools shown below can help you verify that your apps are compatible with the Windows 10 platform, and they allow you to repackage your Android app's .apk file as a Windows 10 compatible , allows you to reach a brand new set of potential customers.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Microsoft
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Windows  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Azure Windows VM "Connect" button in portal should launch via URL instead .rdp download

Azure Windows VM "Connect" button in portal should launch via URL instead .rdp download using https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-server/remote/remote-desktop-services/clients/remote-desktop-uri notice that this also works on Mac...

Problem with current way... It's annoying to download file and after it's download also 2x click it to open. I also have 20+ .rdp files in downloads folder...

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3. High Security versions of VM images

Currently after a VM is selected and loaded, the Security Center reports a high number of vulnerabilities to Remediate. For example, the Windows Server 2016 Datacenter image lists 151 issues. Remediation creates a great deal of work to research and implement.

Ideally, in addition to the "standard" image, a "high security" version would be available that would have all OS vulnerabilities remediated, which would have no issues reported in Security Center.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4. Offer a VM for Server 2016 Essentials

I want to launch a new VM and set up Server 2016 Essentials (which is the preference because it's for a small business, and saves us dealing with CALs). However it seems you MUST set the server up on-premise first and move it to azure as a VHD. The only images available on azure are datacenter editions which are far too advanced for these requirements.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5. Review GS series prices as they are currently heavily overpriced

Currently the GS series VM's are significantly overpriced compared to the DSv2 series. For example a DS12v2 is $600 a month giving you 4cpu/28gig. However the GS2 which is $1600 a month gives you 4cpu/56gig ram. This is the equivalent of $1000 for 28gig of ram or another 1.6xDS12v2 boxes for 28gig of ram. This doesn't make sense. I'd expect a price increase of $600 to $900 for the GS2.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6. Public IP Mapping on Nested VM!

We are working on Azure Public and checking nested VM for this we have created one instance "Standard E4s v3 (4 vcpus, 32 GB memory)". Hyper-V role has been installed successfully and also we have created 3 VMs successfully, now when we are setting networking for these created VM per MS KB "https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/virtualization/hyper-v-on-windows/user-guide/nested-virtualization" everything is working fine but our objective is still not getting solved with this.

We wanted to MAP a public IP on these VMs but per KB NAT is only solving purpose if we need to run internet only on created VMs or forwarding working…

25 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Windows  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Allow empty LicenseType value in VM properties.

I have a generic template that contains everything I need to deploy a fully configured VM.

Normally we use HUB-licensed images, so my template contains the "LicenseType" property with value "Windows_Server".

However, in some specific cases I need to deploy a VM based on an image from the marketplace. The deployment then fails with en error: "Image <xxxx> is neither from on-premises nor eligible for Hybrid Use Benefits (HUB)."
    But the only allowed values for LicenceType are "WindowsServer" or "WindowsClient". Passing an empty value ("" or null) raises an error.

So I need to remove the LicenseType property…

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Windows  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. make premium disks available for N class (with gpu) VMs

N class machines (with gpu) dont support premium disks.

Disk IO is significantly slower than aws equivalent VMs (p2)

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. 3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. Make certificateUrl optional for HTTPS WinRM

Requiring that I either generate a certificate for every VM before I create the VM or use the same certificate for HTTPS configuration of WinRM is not ideal (you can't ever change the reference certificateUrl after creating the VM, and it has to reference a specific secret version).

Please auto-generate a self-signed certificate if the certificateUrl is ommitted.

It should be as simple as SSH on Linux VMs which is auto-configured on first boot!

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. Enhancement to Get-AzureRMVMSize so that indicates whether supports Accelerated Networking

Given that the list of VMs that currently support Accelerated Networking is limited, having an extra column denoting whether supported in Get-AzureRMVM would be useful so that can check status and link to provisioning scripts to validate - rather than wait for it to fail / check manually

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. HTML5 RDP Access

We are in 2017. I want access to my VM in the browser. Downloading an RDP file is so 2007.

Dear Corey, do some magic and support HTML5 RDP access to my VM. One click and a new tab opens to my VM. Wow!

14 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. Storage Optimized VMs should be having higher IOPS and MB/s throughput

Currently Storage Optimized VMs have very limited IOPS and MB/s throughput.

Our Oracle server has 6x1TB premium (6xP30) disks added to it. Which can go upto 1200MB/s throughput. Disk Block Sizes are configured at 1MB. Still we are restricted to the VM limit of 125MB/s. (PFA the current options)

Please consider higher VM level limits.

12 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. Make SQL-Server VM work out of the box - SqlIaaSExtension.Service

As it is, the SqlIaaSExtension.Service is causing the VM to eventually fail due to memory-buildup. MS should deliver working software!

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. To update this article "Step-by-Step: Remote Desktop Services on Windows Azure – A cost-effective alternative to Desktop as a Service"

To successfully connect to VM with RDS role using domain user you have to edit RDP file, that you downloaded from new portal . You have to change value for this option: "administrative session:i:" from "1" --> "0'
    This valuable information should be documented and updated to this 2013 articale (https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/keithmayer/2013/09/19/step-by-step-remote-desktop-services-on-windows-azure-a-cost-effective-alternative-to-desktop-as-a-service-part-2/) about RDS deployment in Azure.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. Disk type

Hello, from an automation perspective, it would be good for a Windows Guest VM be aware of the media type for the disks that are attached to a it (ex: auto cache for S2D to work automatically with SSD+HDD).
    Even when I have a VM with HDD and SSD, it will show the disk type as HDD ( using posh: Get-PhysicalDisk | Select-Object FriendlyName, MediaType, Size ).

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. faster Windows update download to Azure VMs

Today, I did WS2016 VM update (KB4022715 and more).

The problem is that the download speed was really slow. It does not show any speed in number, but I can say it’s way slower than doing on my office desktop. It consumes almost 2 hours on A2 VM.

In addition, I added language component of 16MB, and it consumes almost 1 hours?! It bring me back to 56K US robotics modem life.

It would be good to give faster windows update and component download speed to Azure VMs.

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. It would be nice to be able to select language when setting up Server 2012 Datacenter edition

It would be nice to be able to select language when setting up Server 2012 Datacenter edition

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. auto-startup

Currently there is the possibility to schedule auto-shutdown of VMs directly with the Auto-Shutdown blade. Why isn't there a similar blade for auto-startup? In addition of that for Auto-Shutdown and Auto-Startup if the schedule time can be scheduled not only as a single daily task but with more complex rule, example: from monday to friday, 9.00 18.00, weekend excluded or setting a scheduled date and time of shutdown, etc....

15 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Please provide Windows 10 with GPU Hardware i.e Nvidia Tesla M60

as of now GPU has been enabled for only W2k2 R2 and W2k16

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)