Virtual Machines

How can we improve Azure Virtual Machines?

(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Allow a VM to be instantly turned off

At the moment, we cannot instantly Power Off a VM (ie "Pull the Plug").

Instead when you click STOP or run the Sop-AzureRMVm cmdlet, the VM goes through a clean shutdown..

This is fine, unless you have a "Production" machine that has, for example, locked up and needs an instant power off and reboot. (ie the equivalent of hitting a reset button or pulling the plug out of the wall)

it can take anywhere from 15 minute to 30 minutes to just power down a VM in Azure when all we want is to power cycle it to get it…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Microsoft
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Windows  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Hide SKUs

Implementing Azure Virtual Machines SKUs should only show the virtuals available to provision based off the policy. This way users don't have to dig through hundreds of Virtual machines to find one that is supported, would be better to have the virtuals filtered to show only approved Virtuals based of subscription policy?

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3. Reset Remote Desktop service configuration

The "Reset Remote Desktop service configuration" function should include resetting the (possibly modified) RDP port number to 3389 in the registry.

The registry key is HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\TerminalServer\WinStations\RDP-Tcp\PortNumber

This may be a non-typical cause for inability to get into RDP contact with the VM, but when it is the problem then resetting the port number would be a life-saver. It would have saved me quite a few hours and the expenditure of a support incident.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4. YOUR VM SPEED IS TOO SLOW AS EARLIER

VM SPEED IS NOT AS BETER AS EARLIER.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5. Convert Disk from Premim to Standar

Hello, I think it is a good idea to make a script available that is capable of changing the disk type of the virtual machines. I know there's a script to make change from a standard disc to premium, but not to the contrary.
    This will greatly facilitate the work when it is necessary to downgrade a machine, without having to recreate it

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6. boot order change

actually i have attached new disk to my existing vm which contains os i am trying to change the boot order is it possible to change the disk i want both the vhds in vm but i am trying to load my machine from the h/w-disk which i have attached

Thanks in advance

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7. Offer SMB 3.0 support for Windows 7 machines.

We need an update to enable SMB 3.0 support for Windows 7 machines. Older projects using NET USE scripts to attach to Azure storage can no longer access their containers.
    Windows 7 machines that use to access the file shares in a storage account can no longer connect to file shares using the NET USE command. As a long time user of Azure it feels like Microsoft has left us behind. Upgrading all our users to win 10 is not an easy task..

16 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Windows  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Update about licence charge when the Virtual Machine size is decreased

Hi Team,

I have deployed a DS13_V2 Standard Virtual Machine (Window Server 2016 Datacenter SQL Server 2016 Enterprise) for some testing.

Later I changed the size of VM to Standard_B1 and kept in Running with an expectation that the VM will just cost me AUD 9.21.

The VM actually cost me AUD 9.21 but I incurred a licence fee AUD 1382. There was no message when I resize the VM. At least, Microsoft should have updated me that licence will be charged extra as I had a feeling that VM cost includes the licence cost.

@Microsoft: At least, update the…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. B Series vms need and option for higher IO

B Series vms need and option for higher IO. Many bursty workloads need the additional IO in conjunction with the CPU. Less usable otherwise.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. IP public ETH0

I want to put my public IP in the ETH0 of my VM.

when I type IFCONFIG I have to see my external.

it's possible?

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. suggestion Add options for Convert Apps with help Virtual Machine in other platform e.g Android

I want have an virtual machine in Other platform instance Android. I suggestion Add options for make Virtual Machine in other platform , like Options Blackberry for this work.
    Add Options tools to help convert Android apps to make them run in the Windows 10 OS. The tools shown below can help you verify that your apps are compatible with the Windows 10 platform, and they allow you to repackage your Android app's .apk file as a Windows 10 compatible , allows you to reach a brand new set of potential customers.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. Encrypting Windows VMs - Add the ability to set a drive letter for the bek volume

When encrypting a Windows VM, one does not have the ability to set a drive for the bek volume. Currently the next drive letter available is what is used. This is not an optimal scenario if you have drive standards that must be adhered to.

11 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. Azure Windows VM "Connect" button in portal should launch via URL instead .rdp download

Azure Windows VM "Connect" button in portal should launch via URL instead .rdp download using https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-server/remote/remote-desktop-services/clients/remote-desktop-uri notice that this also works on Mac...

Problem with current way... It's annoying to download file and after it's download also 2x click it to open. I also have 20+ .rdp files in downloads folder...

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. High Security versions of VM images

Currently after a VM is selected and loaded, the Security Center reports a high number of vulnerabilities to Remediate. For example, the Windows Server 2016 Datacenter image lists 151 issues. Remediation creates a great deal of work to research and implement.

Ideally, in addition to the "standard" image, a "high security" version would be available that would have all OS vulnerabilities remediated, which would have no issues reported in Security Center.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. Offer a VM for Server 2016 Essentials

I want to launch a new VM and set up Server 2016 Essentials (which is the preference because it's for a small business, and saves us dealing with CALs). However it seems you MUST set the server up on-premise first and move it to azure as a VHD. The only images available on azure are datacenter editions which are far too advanced for these requirements.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. Review GS series prices as they are currently heavily overpriced

Currently the GS series VM's are significantly overpriced compared to the DSv2 series. For example a DS12v2 is $600 a month giving you 4cpu/28gig. However the GS2 which is $1600 a month gives you 4cpu/56gig ram. This is the equivalent of $1000 for 28gig of ram or another 1.6xDS12v2 boxes for 28gig of ram. This doesn't make sense. I'd expect a price increase of $600 to $900 for the GS2.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Public IP Mapping on Nested VM!

We are working on Azure Public and checking nested VM for this we have created one instance "Standard E4s v3 (4 vcpus, 32 GB memory)". Hyper-V role has been installed successfully and also we have created 3 VMs successfully, now when we are setting networking for these created VM per MS KB "https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/virtualization/hyper-v-on-windows/user-guide/nested-virtualization" everything is working fine but our objective is still not getting solved with this.

We wanted to MAP a public IP on these VMs but per KB NAT is only solving purpose if we need to run internet only on created VMs or forwarding working…

24 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Allow empty LicenseType value in VM properties.

I have a generic template that contains everything I need to deploy a fully configured VM.

Normally we use HUB-licensed images, so my template contains the "LicenseType" property with value "Windows_Server".

However, in some specific cases I need to deploy a VM based on an image from the marketplace. The deployment then fails with en error: "Image <xxxx> is neither from on-premises nor eligible for Hybrid Use Benefits (HUB)."
    But the only allowed values for LicenceType are "Windows_Server" or "Windows_Client". Passing an empty value ("" or null) raises an error.

So I need to remove the LicenseType property from my…

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Windows  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. make premium disks available for N class (with gpu) VMs

N class machines (with gpu) dont support premium disks.

Disk IO is significantly slower than aws equivalent VMs (p2)

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Windows  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. 2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)