Virtual Machines

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Cannot log into Win 10 (after updating to latest build) anymore

I cannot log into my VM running Windows 10 (after installing the latest update) with remote desktop anymore. Authentication failed.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Microsoft
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Windows  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Ability to move Virtual machines between suscriptions

We work with projects creating a suscription for each project. That way we can have control of how much money we expend on the windows azure service.
    But sometimes, we would like to reuse existing machines that we used in one suscription to a second suscription for a different project.

I know we can replicate VM, o use backup disk, etc, but it would be so much easier if we have an option to just move one VM from one suscription to another suscription. It seems very easy and is only for accounting issues.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3. Share the SharePoint Server Farm creation scripts

The Marketplace contains a gallery item to create a SharePoint Server Farm. Can the items (scripts/extensions/etc) that are used to create this be shared as a sample that we start with to build our own custom SharePoint Server Farm solutions on top of?

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4. Virtual machine that works would be a great improvement

I pay my subscription for a virtual machine on Azure but it stopped working this night and now I get "Failed to start virtual machine". Nobody answers at the support and nobody cares. Great Microsoft. Keep on billing me.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5. Real Checkpoints - not VM Images

Checkpoints, as they are in Hyper-V and NOT VM Images as announced at Teched and already in production.

VM Images are not really the solution:

1. Amazon stores only the bits that have changed since the last snapshot, not again the whole machine.
    If a have a server with TBs of data and checkpoint the virtual machine, why should I have to pay for the storage twice?
    2. For a quick restore of the checkpoint, we would have to deploy the VM Image - no real solution in relation to how normal Hyper-V checkpoints work.

14 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6. Yes, Need to know when a virtual machine reboots.

There needs to be an email sent when a VM is rebooted. You can do that now if the processor on the VM goes above a certain threshold.

8 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Windows  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    planned  ·  Corey Sanders [MSFT] responded

We do plan to add support to indicate when a VM has rebooted in the operation logs. We will investigate whether to also add support for emailing in this situation but i like the idea.

7. Dynamics AX Machine

A Dynamics AX machine (the usual demo machine) could be really useful!

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. Getting scheduled "VM Maintenance" using Powershell

Hi Corey,

It would be nice if customers could read scheduled maintenance using either Powershell or just a basic REST call. This will bring flexibility and create integration with servicec management systems for notification.

9 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. Autogrow for VMs

Looks like there is work under progress to explore live migration / low downtime migration of VMs to reduce the down time during maintenance windows. Will be wonderful to build on it and make in place scale up / Down of a stand alone VM based on performance thresholds possible. Scaling out dosent foot the bill for all scenarios as it really requires SQL always on or ILB on top of it for the app to leverage elasticity in its current form.

8 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Windows  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Windows 8 Home

Just an end-user virtual desktop

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. ADFS HA Template

One of the scenarios for Office 365 SSO is to deploy all of the SSO components in Azure: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dn509537.aspx

"Scenario 2: All Office 365 SSO integration components deployed in Azure. This is the new, cloud-only approach; you deploy directory synchronization and AD FS in Azure. This eliminates the need to deploy on-premises servers."

If technically possible, it would be great to have instructions to setup site to site VPN, documentation which already exists, and then provision highly available ADFS servers via template.

I think medium sized customers with on-premise AD desiring SSO would find this attractive.

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. Failover Cluster support besides SQL AlwaysOn

It would be great for failover clustering to be supported with Azure VMs as it would allow my customers to migrate all their thinkable on-premises workloads to Azure. Move to an Azure-only environment is being asked more frequently.
    Shared VHDX and a way to get a valid cluster IP address seems to be key for this to get operational.
    It would be a perfect in combination with availability sets for e.g. file server clusters, SQL failover clusters, custom application clusters

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. win2003

Allow legacy win2003 servers to execute in Azure

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. Found a bug creating VM's in Azure

When creating new Virtual Machines from Gallery (Standard Windows 2012 R2 Datacenter)
    On Page 3 there is a problem attaching the new VM's to a Virtual Network.

But if I change the Cloud service (DDL) to an existing Cloud service, the Network information is displayed. After that I can change it back to auto generate a new Cloud Service. But keep my Virtual Network configuration.

It would be nice if the Virtual Network where visible from the beginning when creating many virtual machines in a network.

See screendumps that is attached.

Best regards,
    Tobias Jonsson

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. Virtual Machine with Visual Studio & SQL Express on it

I love the idea of developing in the cloud and as a developer who is just gettting started I would like to have an image that has Visual Studio Express on it along with SQL Express. This would allow me to quickly get going, get money then buy a MSDN :-)

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. Upgrade OS

You should be able to back up your files and data to a storage account and then upgrade your Windows Server OS to the latest version/edition.

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Thanks for the feedback. This has a relatively high test cost and given we have the newest OS version available, we haven’t heard much interest in this.

Please up-vote this and we will consider it.

Corey

17. Windows Images with different languages

It would be great to have pre-built Windows images in different languages for testing software on foreign Windows systems.

10 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. 4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Enable to manage your own endpoint list.

Allow to manage (add/edit/change endpoints) to the default presented endpoint list. Example I from time to time need to enable special endpoints times in a repetitive manner. this will allow save my settings in the cloud and avoid me to keep a record of the settings I use.

A option to reset to default will be also handy.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. virtual machines column showing user that created

when you create a virtual machine and then revisit mgmt. portal view you have no idea who created that virtual machine, and on what date.

for team shared azure subscriptions this is really important as users don't want to have to bury this kind of information into virtual machine names.

we need it so we can track down who has an a8/a9 virtual machine that's been left running for the past week, or who has a stuck one that needs to be deleted.

we also need the last started/stopped date column view so we can determine if something basically hasn't…

9 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Once we have more AAD integration into the creation and management of VMs, this will be possible. Stay tuned as we dig in here.

• Don't see your idea?

Virtual Machines

Categories

Feedback and Knowledge Base