Virtual Machines

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Public IP Mapping on Nested VM!

We are working on Azure Public and checking nested VM for this we have created one instance "Standard E4s v3 (4 vcpus, 32 GB memory)". Hyper-V role has been installed successfully and also we have created 3 VMs successfully, now when we are setting networking for these created VM per MS KB "https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/virtualization/hyper-v-on-windows/user-guide/nested-virtualization" everything is working fine but our objective is still not getting solved with this.

We wanted to MAP a public IP on these VMs but per KB NAT is only solving purpose if we need to run internet only on created VMs or forwarding working…

25 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Microsoft
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

1 comment  ·  Windows  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Managed disk snapshot governance should be integrated with Recovery services vault.

There are many applications that aren't VSS-aware. There are many Linux workloads like Openshift that are incompatible with Azure backup. However they are compatible with Managed disk snapshots ie. the application doesn't break when restored from snapshot but does when restored from Azure backup. The snapshot governance should be as granular and sophisticated as backup's

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3. HTML5 RDP Access

We are in 2017. I want access to my VM in the browser. Downloading an RDP file is so 2007.

Dear Corey, do some magic and support HTML5 RDP access to my VM. One click and a new tab opens to my VM. Wow!

15 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Windows  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Storage Optimized VMs should be having higher IOPS and MB/s throughput

Currently Storage Optimized VMs have very limited IOPS and MB/s throughput.

Our Oracle server has 6x1TB premium (6xP30) disks added to it. Which can go upto 1200MB/s throughput. Disk Block Sizes are configured at 1MB. Still we are restricted to the VM limit of 125MB/s. (PFA the current options)

Please consider higher VM level limits.

12 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5. auto-startup

Currently there is the possibility to schedule auto-shutdown of VMs directly with the Auto-Shutdown blade. Why isn't there a similar blade for auto-startup? In addition of that for Auto-Shutdown and Auto-Startup if the schedule time can be scheduled not only as a single daily task but with more complex rule, example: from monday to friday, 9.00 18.00, weekend excluded or setting a scheduled date and time of shutdown, etc....

15 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6. Allow a VM to be added to an availability set without recreating the VM

Currently after you have created a VM you are not able to add this to an existing or new availability set. It would be great if this was available function to be completed at any point during a VM's lifecycle.

18 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Windows  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. High Security versions of VM images

Currently after a VM is selected and loaded, the Security Center reports a high number of vulnerabilities to Remediate. For example, the Windows Server 2016 Datacenter image lists 151 issues. Remediation creates a great deal of work to research and implement.

Ideally, in addition to the "standard" image, a "high security" version would be available that would have all OS vulnerabilities remediated, which would have no issues reported in Security Center.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Windows  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Disk type

Hello, from an automation perspective, it would be good for a Windows Guest VM be aware of the media type for the disks that are attached to a it (ex: auto cache for S2D to work automatically with SSD+HDD).
    Even when I have a VM with HDD and SSD, it will show the disk type as HDD ( using posh: Get-PhysicalDisk | Select-Object FriendlyName, MediaType, Size ).

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. Ability to Hibernate VMs to support DevTest workflos

The new DevTest Azure portal feature has the ability to turn off VMs on a schedule to support dev/testing without breaking the budget. It would be nice if the VMs could be hibernated instead so that developers would not lose their development sessions/window settings etc. when they start off in the morning. But I understand that the ability to hibernate VMs in Azure is not currently a core feature that exists. It would be very nice if that feature could be added. I'm sure there are other use cases where VM hibernation could be very handy too.

165 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

22 comments  ·  Windows  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. faster Windows update download to Azure VMs

Today, I did WS2016 VM update (KB4022715 and more).

The problem is that the download speed was really slow. It does not show any speed in number, but I can say it’s way slower than doing on my office desktop. It consumes almost 2 hours on A2 VM.

In addition, I added language component of 16MB, and it consumes almost 1 hours?! It bring me back to 56K US robotics modem life.

It would be good to give faster windows update and component download speed to Azure VMs.

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. Regional Settings for Windows VM

This request is submitted on behalf of one of my important customers.

When deploying Windows VM from Azure gallery image, we do not have the option to configure regional settings such as language/date format. By default, they are EN-US.

This will incur additional management overhead for customers that have a large deployment who has regional settings requirement. They have to log in the VM to change the settings accordingly.

The VM deployment interface (Azure portal and/or Azure PowerShell) should allow selection of different regional settings, just like the standard Windows setup does.

Please kindly let us know whether we have…

14 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. Add the ability to sort/filter on Virtual machine STATUS in the portal

I want to be able to quickly determine which of my ~400 virtual machines are currently Running

18 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. make premium disks available for N class (with gpu) VMs

N class machines (with gpu) dont support premium disks.

Disk IO is significantly slower than aws equivalent VMs (p2)

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. 3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. Provide Azure License Server as a Service

Most Azure VMs have the Windows license built into the pricing model which is great as we don't have to worry about licensing.

However when it comes to Remote Desktop Services VMs we need to provide our own CALs for each of the users that will connect to the server. This is a major pain point as the CALs are time consuming to obtain and a hassle to keep track of.

It would simplify things greatly if Microsoft could provide user licensing as a service on Azure, and allow us to manage the licenses through the portal.

Then it would…

12 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. failed arm deploys

Failed ARM VM Extension deployments are not re-runnable.

When you use ARM to deploy a VM extension, if it fails then subsequant deploys always fail as well and the only way to fix it is to manually go back and delete the extension.

ONe example for this is the SQLIaasExtension - I deployed the microsoft sql image including this extension and got an abrstract error:

"VM has reported a failure when processing extension 'SqlIaasExtension'. Error message: \"SQL Server IaaS Agent: Cannot open log for source 'Microsoft SQL Server Server Status Reporting'. You may not have write access."

Re-running the deploy…

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. when the vm creation, need a option to change temperary drive from D to others

when the vm is creating , we need a option to change temporary drive from D to others

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. VM deployment using JSON and specialized disk does not display Computer Name

VM deployment using a JSON template and specialized disk does not

As per Microsoft support the following answer was received:

This behavior is currently by design.
    The portal reads the Computer name information from the OSProfile settings section of a VM. But when creating a VM from an existing disk we don’t include this section in the template (or powershell) because this is only used for generalized images.
    At the moment we cannot edit the OSProfile of an existing VM, thus the name property on the portal remains blank.

Unfortunately, although this may be by design it does not provide…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Windows VM ability to auto-execute customdata

When you pass custom data to a windows virtual machine it gets dropped into a file, but there is no way to have it automatically execute. Linux VMs have this functionality through the linux agent and cloud init. It would be convenient to pass a DSC script or custom startup script through custom data without having to use the CustomScript or DSC extension (because then you don't have to deal with copying files to a storage account or generating SAS tokens).

10 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Set the allocation unit size to 64 KB when formatting the disk with SQL Server IaaS Agent

In SQL Server IaaS Agent, storage space of disks connected at the time of deployment and disk formatting are implemented, but the NTFS allocation unit size when formatting the disk is not 64 KB.

Since the 64 KB format should be advantageous for performance, I would like to format it with 64 KB NTFS allocation unit size at the time of formatting.

https://docs.microsoft.com/ja-jp/azure/virtual-machines/windows/sql/virtual-machines-windows-sql-performance

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

Virtual Machines

Categories

Feedback and Knowledge Base