Virtual Machines

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. make premium disks available for N class (with gpu) VMs

N class machines (with gpu) dont support premium disks.

Disk IO is significantly slower than aws equivalent VMs (p2)

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Microsoft
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

1 comment  ·  Windows  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Regional Settings for Windows VM

This request is submitted on behalf of one of my important customers.

When deploying Windows VM from Azure gallery image, we do not have the option to configure regional settings such as language/date format. By default, they are EN-US.

This will incur additional management overhead for customers that have a large deployment who has regional settings requirement. They have to log in the VM to change the settings accordingly.

The VM deployment interface (Azure portal and/or Azure PowerShell) should allow selection of different regional settings, just like the standard Windows setup does.

Please kindly let us know whether we have…

12 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3. failed arm deploys

Failed ARM VM Extension deployments are not re-runnable.

When you use ARM to deploy a VM extension, if it fails then subsequant deploys always fail as well and the only way to fix it is to manually go back and delete the extension.

ONe example for this is the SQLIaasExtension - I deployed the microsoft sql image including this extension and got an abrstract error:

"VM has reported a failure when processing extension 'SqlIaasExtension'. Error message: \\\"SQL Server IaaS Agent: Cannot open log for source 'Microsoft SQL Server Server Status Reporting'. You may not have write access."

Re-running the deploy…

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Windows  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Add the ability to sort/filter on Virtual machine STATUS in the portal

I want to be able to quickly determine which of my ~400 virtual machines are currently Running

14 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5. Provide Azure License Server as a Service

Most Azure VMs have the Windows license built into the pricing model which is great as we don't have to worry about licensing.

However when it comes to Remote Desktop Services VMs we need to provide our own CALs for each of the users that will connect to the server. This is a major pain point as the CALs are time consuming to obtain and a hassle to keep track of.

It would simplify things greatly if Microsoft could provide user licensing as a service on Azure, and allow us to manage the licenses through the portal.

Then it would…

10 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6. when the vm creation, need a option to change temperary drive from D to others

when the vm is creating , we need a option to change temporary drive from D to others

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7. VM deployment using JSON and specialized disk does not display Computer Name

VM deployment using a JSON template and specialized disk does not

As per Microsoft support the following answer was received:

This behavior is currently by design.
    The portal reads the Computer name information from the OSProfile settings section of a VM. But when creating a VM from an existing disk we don’t include this section in the template (or powershell) because this is only used for generalized images.
    At the moment we cannot edit the OSProfile of an existing VM, thus the name property on the portal remains blank.

Unfortunately, although this may be by design it does not provide…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Windows  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Windows VM ability to auto-execute customdata

When you pass custom data to a windows virtual machine it gets dropped into a file, but there is no way to have it automatically execute. Linux VMs have this functionality through the linux agent and cloud init. It would be convenient to pass a DSC script or custom startup script through custom data without having to use the CustomScript or DSC extension (because then you don't have to deal with copying files to a storage account or generating SAS tokens).

10 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. Remove drive A: (virtual floppy disk)

How can one possibly "insert" a floppy disk there?

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. Set the allocation unit size to 64 KB when formatting the disk with SQL Server IaaS Agent

In SQL Server IaaS Agent, storage space of disks connected at the time of deployment and disk formatting are implemented, but the NTFS allocation unit size when formatting the disk is not 64 KB.

Since the 64 KB format should be advantageous for performance, I would like to format it with 64 KB NTFS allocation unit size at the time of formatting.

https://docs.microsoft.com/ja-jp/azure/virtual-machines/windows/sql/virtual-machines-windows-sql-performance

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. Create a Windows Virtual Machine with name of more than 15 characters

I understand that Azure limits Windows virtual machine names to 15 chars max - if i undestand right it's because of the legacy NetBios protocol - It would be great if this thin can be change and we can create more than 15 chars - if I want my machine name to hold the machine IP - only 4 time 3 chars plus the delimiters gets us to 15 chars
    ***.***.***.*** (like 192.108.150.100 - 15 chars)

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. Clone complete Resource Group

For DEV/TEST/PROD environments, it would be great to have a the possibility to clone all resources within a resource group to a new one. (Public IP's and other unique resources will be an issue), but as far as the VM's are cloned, it would save A LOT of time!

20 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. USB devices are not supported in Azure VMs

USB devices, like flash drives or hardware security dongles, would be useful to have present in the remote VMs. For example, support for dongle-controlled security for applications would then be possible.

42 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Windows  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. 3.5GB of RAM is insufficient for moderate workloads

Despite the best efforts from OSG, Windows Server still consumes a considerable amount of RAM even when stripped-down. Add to that the memory usage by an instance of a local SQL Server (when Azure SQL is inappropriate or too costly) it's easy to hit the 3.5GB memory limit and suffer disk thrashing.

I would like to see the memory allocations doubled at each instance tier level, though you can retain the CPU core count. If doubling is not economically feasible please extend the "Memory Intensive" range to offer a 2-core, 7GB option ($140/month?).

Question: why is memory doled out at…

12 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Windows  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. Provide an hours notice for any Underlying Host reboot that isn't Automatic/service healing

For any underlying host reboots that happens on Azure there are always reboots that Azure can give prior notice about, it could be a hotfix you are applying to your host or you found an issue with the host and you need to reboot. If you gave us an hours notice instead of just rebooting hosts and in-turn VMs as and when you want, then we could have ramped up to 3 or more VMs to ensure we retained the high availability. The small increase in cost for this we are prepared for. We are not prepared for random (to…

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Windows  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. Accelerate VM startup time

Startup time of a Windows VM in AWS is 1-1.5 minutes. In Azure this takes at least 5 minutes. VM Startup time is a big deal!

127 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10 comments  ·  Windows  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. Real Checkpoints - not VM Images

Checkpoints, as they are in Hyper-V and NOT VM Images as announced at Teched and already in production.

VM Images are not really the solution:

1. Amazon stores only the bits that have changed since the last snapshot, not again the whole machine.
    If a have a server with TBs of data and checkpoint the virtual machine, why should I have to pay for the storage twice?
    2. For a quick restore of the checkpoint, we would have to deploy the VM Image - no real solution in relation to how normal Hyper-V checkpoints work.

14 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Allow resize of attached VHD-disks

Right now you cannot resize your VHD-disks once attached to a VM directly from the portal. Edit should be possible to at least increase the size of VHD-disks on demand.

195 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8 comments  ·  Windows  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. Upgrade OS

You should be able to back up your files and data to a storage account and then upgrade your Windows Server OS to the latest version/edition.

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Thanks for the feedback. This has a relatively high test cost and given we have the newest OS version available, we haven’t heard much interest in this.

Please up-vote this and we will consider it.

Corey

20. Update about licence charge when the Virtual Machine size is decreased

Hi Team,

I have deployed a DS13_V2 Standard Virtual Machine (Window Server 2016 Datacenter SQL Server 2016 Enterprise) for some testing.

Later I changed the size of VM to Standard_B1 and kept in Running with an expectation that the VM will just cost me AUD 9.21.

The VM actually cost me AUD 9.21 but I incurred a licence fee AUD 1382. There was no message when I resize the VM. At least, Microsoft should have updated me that licence will be charged extra as I had a feeling that VM cost includes the licence cost.

@Microsoft: At least, update the…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

Virtual Machines

Categories

Feedback and Knowledge Base