Virtual Machines

How can we improve Azure Virtual Machines?

(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Set the allocation unit size to 64 KB when formatting the disk with SQL Server IaaS Agent

In SQL Server IaaS Agent, storage space of disks connected at the time of deployment and disk formatting are implemented, but the NTFS allocation unit size when formatting the disk is not 64 KB.

Since the 64 KB format should be advantageous for performance, I would like to format it with 64 KB NTFS allocation unit size at the time of formatting.

https://docs.microsoft.com/ja-jp/azure/virtual-machines/windows/sql/virtual-machines-windows-sql-performance

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Microsoft
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Windows  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Clone complete Resource Group

For DEV/TEST/PROD environments, it would be great to have a the possibility to clone all resources within a resource group to a new one. (Public IP's and other unique resources will be an issue), but as far as the VM's are cloned, it would save A LOT of time!

19 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3. USB devices are not supported in Azure VMs

USB devices, like flash drives or hardware security dongles, would be useful to have present in the remote VMs. For example, support for dongle-controlled security for applications would then be possible.

40 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Windows  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. 3.5GB of RAM is insufficient for moderate workloads

Despite the best efforts from OSG, Windows Server still consumes a considerable amount of RAM even when stripped-down. Add to that the memory usage by an instance of a local SQL Server (when Azure SQL is inappropriate or too costly) it's easy to hit the 3.5GB memory limit and suffer disk thrashing.

I would like to see the memory allocations doubled at each instance tier level, though you can retain the CPU core count. If doubling is not economically feasible please extend the "Memory Intensive" range to offer a 2-core, 7GB option ($140/month?).

Question: why is memory doled out at…

11 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5. Provide an hours notice for any Underlying Host reboot that isn't Automatic/service healing

For any underlying host reboots that happens on Azure there are always reboots that Azure can give prior notice about, it could be a hotfix you are applying to your host or you found an issue with the host and you need to reboot. If you gave us an hours notice instead of just rebooting hosts and in-turn VMs as and when you want, then we could have ramped up to 3 or more VMs to ensure we retained the high availability. The small increase in cost for this we are prepared for. We are not prepared for random (to…

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6. Real Checkpoints - not VM Images

Checkpoints, as they are in Hyper-V and NOT VM Images as announced at Teched and already in production.

VM Images are not really the solution:

1. Amazon stores only the bits that have changed since the last snapshot, not again the whole machine.
    If a have a server with TBs of data and checkpoint the virtual machine, why should I have to pay for the storage twice?
    2. For a quick restore of the checkpoint, we would have to deploy the VM Image - no real solution in relation to how normal Hyper-V checkpoints work.

14 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7. Accelerate VM startup time

Startup time of a Windows VM in AWS is 1-1.5 minutes. In Azure this takes at least 5 minutes. VM Startup time is a big deal!

117 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7 comments  ·  Windows  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Upgrade OS

You should be able to back up your files and data to a storage account and then upgrade your Windows Server OS to the latest version/edition.

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Windows  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for the feedback. This has a relatively high test cost and given we have the newest OS version available, we haven’t heard much interest in this.

Please up-vote this and we will consider it.

Corey

9. Allow resize of attached VHD-disks

Right now you cannot resize your VHD-disks once attached to a VM directly from the portal. Edit should be possible to at least increase the size of VHD-disks on demand.

189 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8 comments  ·  Windows  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Update about licence charge when the Virtual Machine size is decreased

Hi Team,

I have deployed a DS13_V2 Standard Virtual Machine (Window Server 2016 Datacenter SQL Server 2016 Enterprise) for some testing.

Later I changed the size of VM to Standard_B1 and kept in Running with an expectation that the VM will just cost me AUD 9.21.

The VM actually cost me AUD 9.21 but I incurred a licence fee AUD 1382. There was no message when I resize the VM. At least, Microsoft should have updated me that licence will be charged extra as I had a feeling that VM cost includes the licence cost.

@Microsoft: At least, update the…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. IP public ETH0

I want to put my public IP in the ETH0 of my VM.

when I type IFCONFIG I have to see my external.

it's possible?

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. Offer a VM for Server 2016 Essentials

I want to launch a new VM and set up Server 2016 Essentials (which is the preference because it's for a small business, and saves us dealing with CALs). However it seems you MUST set the server up on-premise first and move it to azure as a VHD. The only images available on azure are datacenter editions which are far too advanced for these requirements.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. Make SQL-Server VM work out of the box - SqlIaaSExtension.Service

As it is, the SqlIaaSExtension.Service is causing the VM to eventually fail due to memory-buildup. MS should deliver working software!

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. To update this article "Step-by-Step: Remote Desktop Services on Windows Azure – A cost-effective alternative to Desktop as a Service"

To successfully connect to VM with RDS role using domain user you have to edit RDP file, that you downloaded from new portal . You have to change value for this option: "administrative session:i:" from "1" --> "0'
    This valuable information should be documented and updated to this 2013 articale (https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/keithmayer/2013/09/19/step-by-step-remote-desktop-services-on-windows-azure-a-cost-effective-alternative-to-desktop-as-a-service-part-2/) about RDS deployment in Azure.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. It would be nice to be able to select language when setting up Server 2012 Datacenter edition

It would be nice to be able to select language when setting up Server 2012 Datacenter edition

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. error when creating a new instance

Failed Operation Start On Step Check Available Cores Cloud ProviderMicrosoft Azure (Classic)Message The requested VM tier 'Standard_H16m' for virtual appliance SAP NetWeaver 7.50 AS ABAP incl. SAP S/4HANA is currently not available in 'West Europe' for this subscription.
    The subscription policy limit for resource type 'cores count' was exceeded. The limit for resource type 'cores count' is 20 per subscription, the current count is 0, and the requested increment is 22.
    Please contact Microsoft Azure support to enable the required resources.More Information

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Monitor VM Disks - Online/Offline

I have come across multiple scenarios while troubleshooting where the Disks went offline and Infra team not aware until its been informed by a user.

It would be better to have monitoring Disks were Online/Offline via Azure Portal

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Control Paging File setting during VM/VMSS deployment

VMs of small sizes (~2GBs RAM) are encountering OutOfMemoryException errors while running Custom Script extensions (Windows Updates consuming memory space after deployment).

A solution would be to add custom paging file settings controls to the VM/VMSS API to ensure that Windows has a sufficient pagefile size prior to deployment, rather than System Managed capacities that will be unrealistically small due to small Temporary Drive volume sizes (e.g. 1 GB of Page File size for a 10 GB temporary drive).

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Include private ip in the Virtual Machine Overview page

Include private ip information in the Virtual Machine Overview page together with the public ip.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. There should be an option to connect to VM in browser so if host machine has restriction that user can still access on browser.

There should be an option to connect to VM in browser so if host machine has restriction that user can still access on browser.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

Virtual Machines

Feedback and Knowledge Base