Virtual Machines

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Azure should be support expandable file size like thin provisioning in VMware

We have a product having more than 10000 customer which comes in ova format ( expandable file size from 6.51 to 800GB). This file easily deployed in Vmware as well as AWS cloud. Now our customer wants support for Azure but Azure is supporting integer file size like 6GB,7GB ( as per discussion with support team). Also it supports fixed file size not expandable file size. If this kinds of support will provide by Azure then we both will be gain revenue. Otherwise we both will loose revenue.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Microsoft
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Windows  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Console access to Azure Virtual machines

Ability to access Azure Virtual machines via a management console, very helpful for quick access when troubleshooting and RDP is not working.

12 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Windows  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Change the VM OS Disk Size during Creation

Hello,

At this point, you can't select the OS disk size for your VM during the creation and if you want to reduce the disk size, you need to perform loads of steps.
    It will be really good to have the option to select the disk size during the VM creation. So we would be able to chose a smaller or even bigger disk size for UnManaged and Managed disks.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4. Image name on VM infor page

On Azure control panel. On VM information page i like to see image name that i used to create this VM. currently it says OS type: Windows. this won't give me enough information on instell OS on this VM. If i can see exact image name that i picked at the time of creating this VM would be really helpfull.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5. Auto-Shutdown feature

When I click on the links in the email notification of auto-shutdown, it just redirects me to the page with the error. Seems the link contained in the email doesn't function properly

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6. Start/Stop VMs during off-hours solution in Azure Automation - Weekend Option

Good morning,
    "Start/Stop VMs during off-hours solution in Azure Automation" is a great solution to allow us to make easier the VM on/off.
    But please, is there the possibility to add the option "Stay off during weekend" or "stay off from... to ....".
    Thank you

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7. DSC extension install without running node configuration

Installing the DSC extension should not run the node configuration.
    The node configuration is likely to change over time, might not exist at the time of install or could have errors. If any of those things are true, it's the responsibility of DSC in Automations to point this out, not the extension.

The extension install should only go as far as registering with the automation account, configuring the LCM and setting the node configuration name.

This is currently causing me problems with Terraform as the initial run fails every time due to the node configurations not existing at deployment time.…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. Avoid broken links on Azure web site

On an Azure windows instance there is a file called DATALOSS_WARNING_README.txt on disk D: referring to
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windowsazure/jj672979.aspx. When I open that page it shows " Note

This article will be removed from the Azure library in the coming weeks. Newer information is available on the Azure website. See About disks and VHDs for virtual machines and About images for virtual machines."

So this will become a broken link!!
    (why the heck to web sites change their links all the time?)

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. Azure Marketplace image for SQL Server 2017 editions on Windows Server 2016 - Server Core

I would like to see a SQL Server 2017 editions on Windows Server 2016 - Server Core included in the Azure Marketplace. The marketplace currently only holds images for the SQL Server on full versions of Windows Server 2016 DC.

Many DBAs are comfortable with SQL Server on Windows Server Core installations. It reduces the overhead over the UI in both resource usage and patches. Also allows for quickly (re)booting nodes to be horizontally scaled when required.

Currently such a configuration can only be achieved by manually preparing a VM image and uploading it to Azure. Which also requires a…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. Cluster Network Communication for Cluster Aware Updating

As you know, Zero Downtime and small maintenance windows don't often come together well.

We would like to leverage Cluster Aware Updating to patch our HA clusters. The problem is that the Cluster Network does not allow communication.

We would like to see the network traffic enabled for the Cluster IP so that we may let automation safely patch and fail over.

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Windows  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Offer SMB 3.0 support for Windows 7 machines.

We need an update to enable SMB 3.0 support for Windows 7 machines. Older projects using NET USE scripts to attach to Azure storage can no longer access their containers.
    Windows 7 machines that use to access the file shares in a storage account can no longer connect to file shares using the NET USE command. As a long time user of Azure it feels like Microsoft has left us behind. Upgrading all our users to win 10 is not an easy task..

16 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Windows  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. Support upgrading existing Azure VM with Windows Server 2012 R2 to Windows Server 2016

How do I go about upgrading existing Azure VM with Windows Server 2012 R2 to Windows Server 2016? It seems like a big issue for many companies for adopting Windows Server 2016 in Microsoft Azure.

"Microsoft server software support for Microsoft Azure virtual machines" article still states "Microsoft does not support an upgrade of the operating system of a Microsoft Azure virtual machine. Instead, you should create a new Azure virtual machine that is running the supported version of the operating system that is required and then migrate the workload."

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/2721672/microsoft-server-software-support-for-microsoft-azure-virtual-machines

Please support this scenario. Thanks

111 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. Public IP Mapping on Nested VM!

We are working on Azure Public and checking nested VM for this we have created one instance "Standard E4s v3 (4 vcpus, 32 GB memory)". Hyper-V role has been installed successfully and also we have created 3 VMs successfully, now when we are setting networking for these created VM per MS KB "https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/virtualization/hyper-v-on-windows/user-guide/nested-virtualization" everything is working fine but our objective is still not getting solved with this.

We wanted to MAP a public IP on these VMs but per KB NAT is only solving purpose if we need to run internet only on created VMs or forwarding working…

24 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. Encrypting Windows VMs - Add the ability to set a drive letter for the bek volume

When encrypting a Windows VM, one does not have the ability to set a drive for the bek volume. Currently the next drive letter available is what is used. This is not an optimal scenario if you have drive standards that must be adhered to.

12 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. Managed disk snapshot governance should be integrated with Recovery services vault.

There are many applications that aren't VSS-aware. There are many Linux workloads like Openshift that are incompatible with Azure backup. However they are compatible with Managed disk snapshots ie. the application doesn't break when restored from snapshot but does when restored from Azure backup. The snapshot governance should be as granular and sophisticated as backup's

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Windows  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. HTML5 RDP Access

We are in 2017. I want access to my VM in the browser. Downloading an RDP file is so 2007.

Dear Corey, do some magic and support HTML5 RDP access to my VM. One click and a new tab opens to my VM. Wow!

14 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Windows  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. auto-startup

Currently there is the possibility to schedule auto-shutdown of VMs directly with the Auto-Shutdown blade. Why isn't there a similar blade for auto-startup? In addition of that for Auto-Shutdown and Auto-Startup if the schedule time can be scheduled not only as a single daily task but with more complex rule, example: from monday to friday, 9.00 18.00, weekend excluded or setting a scheduled date and time of shutdown, etc....

15 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Allow a VM to be added to an availability set without recreating the VM

Currently after you have created a VM you are not able to add this to an existing or new availability set. It would be great if this was available function to be completed at any point during a VM's lifecycle.

15 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Disk type

Hello, from an automation perspective, it would be good for a Windows Guest VM be aware of the media type for the disks that are attached to a it (ex: auto cache for S2D to work automatically with SSD+HDD).
    Even when I have a VM with HDD and SSD, it will show the disk type as HDD ( using posh: Get-PhysicalDisk | Select-Object FriendlyName, MediaType, Size ).

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Ability to Hibernate VMs to support DevTest workflos

The new DevTest Azure portal feature has the ability to turn off VMs on a schedule to support dev/testing without breaking the budget. It would be nice if the VMs could be hibernated instead so that developers would not lose their development sessions/window settings etc. when they start off in the morning. But I understand that the ability to hibernate VMs in Azure is not currently a core feature that exists. It would be very nice if that feature could be added. I'm sure there are other use cases where VM hibernation could be very handy too.

141 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

21 comments  ·  Windows  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  • Don't see your idea?

Virtual Machines

Categories

Feedback and Knowledge Base