Virtual Machines

How can we improve Azure Virtual Machines?

(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Swapping the unhealthy physical node at starting VM

For running VM, "Service healing" will prevents down-time.
    On the other hands, for initiation of VM, user have to wait for VM fully starts and user cannot detect the reason why VM starts slowly.

I would propose that Azure automatically retry starting VM on another node in case Azure detect unhealthy node events.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Microsoft
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Windows  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Protected settings available in Clear text in Deployment options

When I use ARM template and Custom Script Extensions with protected settings, these options are available in clear text in Deployment option.

Can you fix it?

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

triaged  ·  0 comments  ·  Windows  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Allow RG / Subscription move for VM in Availability Zones

Actually is not possibile to move Managed Disks and IP Addresses for VM located in Availability Zones

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

triaged  ·  0 comments  ·  Windows  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Successfully perform Windows Updates on General Purpose VM's

When creating a Standard A1 v2 virtual machine in Azure, Windows Updates do not perform correctly. Azure Support have advised that the Virtual Machine needs to be increased in size, but i would expect all virtual machines offered in the Azure Portal to be able to perform Windows Updates...

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5. In-Place OS Upgrade in Azure

It would be nice to see In-Place OS Upgrade in Azure. Currently we are working on a project to replace all VM with OS Windows 2008 because
    Microsoft will be officially ending its support for Windows Server 2008 R2 editions. The problem we are facing is we don't have support from vendor to reinstall the application on new platform and the only workaround offered by Microsoft are as following:

1. Create an Azure VM that's running a supported version of an operating system, and then migrate the workload (Method 1)
    2. Download and upgrade the VHD of the VM (Method…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6. If user configured a domain controller and user forget the account & password.

If user configured a domain controller and user forget the account & password. user can not get VM's data anytime. user can not reset account & password, too.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7. M series VMs in North Central US

SQL server virtual machines require a higher RAM/CPU (M series in North Central US) ratio than can be supplied using the standard VM sizes. Constrained CPU sizes were introduced to address this issue (eg E Series). Since the standard E and D series machines can be reserved please also allow the RAM constrained versions to be reserved so we can control workload of SQL server VMs.

An ETA would be helpful.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. M series VMs in North Central US

SQL server virtual machines require a higher RAM/CPU ratio than can be supplied using the standard VM sizes. Constrained CPU sizes were introduced to address this issue (eg E Series). Since the standard E and D series machines can be reserved please also allow the RAM constrained versions to be reserved so we can control workload of SQL server VMs.

An ETA would be helpful.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. disk type

During VM creation, it should be speicifed as P6 for Premium disks which is free. Else this creates confusion during creation and unnecessary cost will be involved.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. Virtual Windows would be even better if older Windows apps that I own could be run in a container and accessed through virtual Windows 10

I like Micrografx Designer. I think it last ran under Windows XP. It would be nice if Virtual Windows could run older apps in a container and have them accessible through virtual Windows 10. I realize that there is a problem of licensing and all that. But the whole idea of planned obsolescence, the company owns the license, everything craps out when the company ceases to exist, is what's wrong with computing in a big way. Imagine if all the centuries of written literature crapped out when the writers died because they were only licensing their works to you -…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. Windows VM agent for - 2008 Standard/Enterprise 64 bit OS

Hello as we are encouraging clients to move their Windows 2008 standard/Enterprise workloads to Azure sighting extended security updates for 3 years. But we dont have a compatible VMagent that can run on for these workloads there by limiting the usage of extensions

Especially for Log Analytics and backup

This is to be action-ed for clients to have a completeness of the solution

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. Allow the setting of environment variables in arm templates.

Currently I'm using the custom script extension to set an environment variable with all the information that I need to connect an app that I'm installing with an azure sql database. I've had to resort to parsing the values needed out of one variable as trying to run multiple commands with the custom script extension is not working. This would be resolved if there were a section of the arm template that allowed you to set values in your vm. I'm doing it this way because I'm generating the name for the db and the username and password are coming…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. Add alert to service health for reboots triggered by "potential hardware problem"

Add alert to service health for reboots triggered by "potential hardware problem" as this didnt trigge for us despite having service health alerts set for all categories. Full history is in MS ticket chain

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. add functionality to resize VMs based on set schedule

We would like to be able to resize our VMs based on a set schedule so that they are of a lower size out of hours and higher size in business hours.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. Keep more sizes on the floor

More sizes available

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. Apps and Program compatability

I tryd just abought everything to keep my apps I need on screen wile working with programs. Also programs with other programs, they have a tendency to jump to the task bare as soon as the mouse is clicked. Is there a fix?

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Note section or some option to chnage the name of the Virtual machine

It would really help if the name of the server can be changed from the Portal and if possible if a notes section can be added in the Virtual machine Overview Tab

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Easier deployment of VMs

to make it slightly easier to start a vm. i am new to the cloud and to vm, and i could not connect to the vm via rdp

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Cannot create a VM using GRS Backup in another region

It looks like Microsoft is busy creating many products but they are not thinking about the basic necessity of product. I have given so much suggestion to Microsoft for product improvement and they implemented. Thanks for that. Currently, I just wanted to know Why you are not allowing the customer to spin up any VM from recovery GRS vault to create VM in the paired region? If this is not possible then I don't think so there is any real use case of GRS backup. Looks like they have not thought about the basic of the product. If a data…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Offline Mode!

so i tried to install a program requiring offline mode, what did i do?, i simply disabled my ethernet . now the funny thing is that the machine or shut it down, nothing helped, i just deleted it
    so i hope you can fix this :)

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

Virtual Machines

Feedback and Knowledge Base