Virtual Machines

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Effective route tables for VMSS

As confirmed by PG in Support case 119091125000146 there is no way to query the effective route table for a VMSS instance, thus leaving 100% VMSS based infrastructures completely blind.

19 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Microsoft
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

2 comments  ·  VMSS  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for the valid suggestion. Your feedback is now open for the user community to upvote which allows us to effectively prioritize your request against our existing feature list and also gives us insight into the potential impact of implementing the suggested feature

2. Prevent the 'failed' state when VMSS autoscaled to subnet namespace size

VMSS easily turn 'failed' status with following step and cannot recover without delete and re-create the VMSS.

Repro step is:
    1. Create Vnet and subnets. The address space of subnet for VMSS is /27 (for example)
    2. Create AppGW(Small/1instance, no publicIP) in Vnet
    3. Create VMSS under AppGW
    ... set the Autoscale rule as Min/Max/default : 2/25/2
    ... In my case, I created StandardDS1v2 size VMSS
    4. change Autoscale parameter to 16/25/16
    5. change Autoscale parameter to 25/25/25
    =>reproduces

want to prevent the state. thanks,

11 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  VMSS  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. vmss

When adding a Inbound NAT Rule to a load balancer, I get the following error: "Full virtual machine scale set support for the portal is coming soon. Adding or editing references between load balancers and scale set virtual machines is currently disabled for load balancers that contain an existing association with a scale set."

How soon is "coming soon"? I've seen this error for about 6 months now.

11 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  VMSS  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. 9 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  VMSS  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Allow update of gallery image for VMSS

When referencing a custom image in a VMSS from a Shared Image Gallery (Preview), it cannot be updated to refer to a new image. This results in an error code "PropertyChangeNotAllowed".

Today, a VMSS can be updated to a new image reference when it references a managed image that does not reside in a Shared Image Gallery.

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  VMSS  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. VMSS rolling updates on custom images

Allow rolling updates on custom images.

Currently if you build a custom image and create a VMSS with it you have to manually "roll it out" via upgrade. Seems silly when the image is housed and built just like any other. were just talking about watching the upgrade process by way of the VM's "upgrade status"

seems doable not sure why its held back, especially when the VMSS set knows its "not current"

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Thanks for the valid suggestion. Your feedback is now open for the user community to upvote which allows us to effectively prioritize your request against our existing feature list and also gives us insight into the potential impact of implementing the suggested feature

7. request new feature: alerts for extensions/agents in VMSS

One of my customer want to proactively monitor the status of Guest Agent and Extensions on VM within VMSS. For example, we may set alert when heartbeat is lost or the extension status go to failed.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. Add 2016-DataCenter-Server-Core available for Virtual Machine Scale Set Deployments from Portal

The Microsoft managed list of available images for scale sets currently does not include Windows Server 2016 Core. Providing our own image works but is painful as we must maintain the image.

Since Windows Server Core images are already managed by Microsoft for IAAS VMs, you should also offer this images for scale sets.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. Get public IPs from metadata for VM Scale Sets instances

Case with the Support shows a limitation in the metadata for VMSS instances.

Indeed, it is actually not possible to get the Public IP of a publicly addressed VM Scale Set instance from the metadata.

I hope this limitation will be shortly fixed.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. Allow VM console access when storage account has firewall enabled

It's pretty ridiculous that the Azure VM serial console won't work when the boot diagnostics storage account has a firewall enabled.

First, it should be possible to use a firewall for additional protection of boot diagnostics. I understand that the storage has to be written from the host server, not the VM, so it might not be on the correct vnet; but this should be considered a "trusted Azure service", or there should be another option to allow it.

Second, the Serial Console is not the same as boot logging. They are two separate things! I should be able to…

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. Enable Powershell Cmdlet for migrating VMSS to use Managed Disk

Similar to the cmdlet ConvertTo-AzVMManagedDisk - have an option to trigger a VMSS migration to use Managed Disk

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. scheduled event is missing the delete/scale-in event for scale sets

to properly demote cluster members during a scale-in or delete operation on a scale set node, the schedule event endpoint should provide the event-type delete or similar.

then it would be possible, to take proper local actions before the node is gone.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. Request new feature : Converting existing unmanaged VMSS to managed VMSS.

the scenario is
    1. we has an existing VMSS with unmanaged os disk already
    2. we want to convert to managed os disk in this VMSS.

currently, it supports signle VM to migrate from unmanaged os disk to managed os disk, but it does not be supported for VMSS scenario.

the current solution is we have to buildout a new VMSS with managed os disk and move our service from old VMSS to new VMSS, this has high risky(for exmaple, move the data from old VMSS to new VMSS, etc.),

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. feature request for an extension to run during VMSS scale in operation

feature request for an extension to run during VMSS scale in operation

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. Terminating or Deleting a VM once should be enough.

Nobody can accidentally delete their VMs when they have to confirm the name before Deleting. Please make it once someone deletes a VM everything attached to it is Deleted especially the disk, resource group etc. I just got charged for disk storage after Deleting the VM

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. Is it possible to trigger a function app or a script when VMSS is scaling out?

I have seen a case, wherein Cx is looking for an option to trigger a function app or a script when VMSS is scaling out to 'N' instances. Any feedback is highly appreciated

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Autoscaling in & out timewindow

Currently there is no documents explain the default timewindow for autoscaling in & out when creating a new VMSS.
    For scale out, the default number is 10, which shown on the Portal where it can be modified directly, while for scale in, we can only find it on template.
    So, hope the scale in timewindow can also be displayed on the portal, or demonstrate clear on the document. Thank you

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Share Manage Disk across subscriptions within same tenant

Add support to allow Azure VM to attach Managed Disks from other subscriptions within the same tenant.

For example, in my Azure account, I have two Azure subscriptions... I have a VM in Subscription A, and I would like to be able to attach a unattached Managed Disk available on Subscription B. As sharing VHDX is not support on Azure Storage. It would be great if users are allow to share Managed Disk across multiple subscriptions within a single Azure tenant.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. query VMSS instance properties in Azure Resource Graph Explorer

Please expose the individual VMSS instance properties in Azure Resource Graph Explorer. I can generate reports with name, private IP, and so on for the virtualmachines resource type but for VMSS I am only able to see the VMSS resource itself, no instance properties.

Azure Resource Graph Explorer is far superior to PowerShell/CLI for building reports quickly on resources across subscriptions, regions, etc.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. About Single Placement Group exceptions

With the Single Placement Group enabled, there will be a decrease in capacity within the cluster and an Allocation Failure will occur sometimes.
    To avoid this, please add a configuration that only considers deploying from another cluster when the cluster is out of capacity.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

← Previous 1
  • Don't see your idea?

Virtual Machines

Categories

Feedback and Knowledge Base