Virtual Machines

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Virtual machine console access

There is no VMConnect capability for console access to the VM as there is with Hyper-V.

So in the situation where I lost connectivity, by misconfiguration, or system failure, is there only one very time and bandwith consuming way to fix it - download the VHDs on-premise, boot it in Hyper-V and VMConnect to repair VM, then upload all GBs back to the Azure...

I requesting console access, also with ability to mount some image for repair and boot from it (as we do it in standard environment).

2,039 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Microsoft
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

277 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for the valid suggestion. Your feedback is now open for the user community to upvote which allows us to effectively prioritize your request against our existing feature list and also gives us insight into the potential impact of implementing the suggested feature

2. rename vm

Add the ability to rename a VM. The VM name is what appears in Azure, not the DNS name.

Changing a VM's name should not affect the VM in any way. If you need a unique identifier for a VM that does not change, I suggest using a GUID rather than the VM's name in Azure.

799 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

120 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Mac OS X Virtual Machines

Several, non-Microsoft/non-Azure, cloud-hosting services offer either dedicated, or virtualized machines running Mac OS X (with the OS running on Apple hardware, due to Mac OS X licensing). Examples include http://macstadium.com/, http://xcloud.me/, and http://www.macincloud.com/, among others.

Being able to provision a Mac OS X machine on Azure, using Azure pricing, and potentially, Azure Virtual Networking, would be useful for developers wishing to set up build machines for iOS apps, and potentially other use-cases.

346 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

21 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Upload VHDX

A support for uploading VHDX images would be great. With that it wouldn't be necessary anymore to migrate a VHDX to VHD before.

341 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

24 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

The status of this item has been moved back to Under Review. We initially planned to move to VHDX support as part of our support for HyperV Gen2 VMs, but we ended up using the VHD format for Gen2 VMs as well. Some aspects of the Azure Infrastructure do not cleanly support VHDX OS or data disks. So this feature is dependent on some of these internal services being updated which is an ongoing process.

5. Delete VM with all associated resources

Deleting a VM is a lot of click work. I have to manually delete the associated Network interface, Network security group, Public IP address. And then, from the associated storage account, I have to drill down into the VHD container in the right Blob to delete the associated .vhd and .status files.

Also, I have to do it in the right order, because there are dependencies between the various objects. If not, it fails, and I get a big fat pink error.

Also, the overview list does not refresh after the 'success' notification is posted, so I sit there guessing…

293 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

44 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Production / Staging VM

Provide a way to group VMs into production / staging environment. Somehow like the production / staging environments of cloud services.

289 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. WSUS as a Service in Windows Azure

Microsoft needs to develop a WSUS as a service in Microsoft Azure with support for update domain in Azure. Perhaps it should be linked together with the System Center Advisor.

257 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. A "sleep" state of VM which is cost wise similar to stop state. The VM wakes up and continues the previous session without rebooting OS.

It is a great feature of Azure to stop costs if the VM is stopped. But shutdown the VM needs close all the running programs and applications in the current session. It will be great if the VM can have a sleep mode which can stop all the costs (or partially). So users can quickly resume the work in the new session without restarting the VM.

230 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. Allow resize of attached VHD-disks

Right now you cannot resize your VHD-disks once attached to a VM directly from the portal. Edit should be possible to at least increase the size of VHD-disks on demand.

203 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9 comments  ·  Windows  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Allow easy donation of unused CPU cycles to cancer research, Folding@home, etc.

I would like to easily 'donate' my unused CPU cycles towards a good cause, such as cancer research within the Folding@home project.

Ideally this setting would be incorporated into the config of my worker roles, or within the Windows Azure portal.

167 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

23 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Ability to Hibernate VMs to support DevTest workflos

The new DevTest Azure portal feature has the ability to turn off VMs on a schedule to support dev/testing without breaking the budget. It would be nice if the VMs could be hibernated instead so that developers would not lose their development sessions/window settings etc. when they start off in the morning. But I understand that the ability to hibernate VMs in Azure is not currently a core feature that exists. It would be very nice if that feature could be added. I'm sure there are other use cases where VM hibernation could be very handy too.

144 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

21 comments  ·  Windows  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. Accelerate VM startup time

Startup time of a Windows VM in AWS is 1-1.5 minutes. In Azure this takes at least 5 minutes. VM Startup time is a big deal!

132 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10 comments  ·  Windows  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. Support upgrading existing Azure VM with Windows Server 2012 R2 to Windows Server 2016

How do I go about upgrading existing Azure VM with Windows Server 2012 R2 to Windows Server 2016? It seems like a big issue for many companies for adopting Windows Server 2016 in Microsoft Azure.

"Microsoft server software support for Microsoft Azure virtual machines" article still states "Microsoft does not support an upgrade of the operating system of a Microsoft Azure virtual machine. Instead, you should create a new Azure virtual machine that is running the supported version of the operating system that is required and then migrate the workload."

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/2721672/microsoft-server-software-support-for-microsoft-azure-virtual-machines

Please support this scenario. Thanks

116 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6 comments  ·  Windows  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. Shrink Managed disk

I'd like the ability to shrink a managed disk.

I'm creating a managed image from a marketplace windows server base, installing a bunch of third party software and using DevTest labs and VSTS to automate the build of a base image that I use for a large number of VM deployments.

The managed disks created from my image are 128gb of which I use about 40gb. I'd like to shrink the managed disk used in the image to 64gb so the VMs I deploy from my image fit in the S6 managed disk pricing bracket.

103 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. Adding existing ARM virtual machine to availability set

Adding existing ARM virtual machine to availability set. I can't do much with certain setups cause they have to be in an availability set and I cant add them to one after they have been created.

103 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. search by ip

It would be nice to search/filter virtual machines in the azure portal by IP number

102 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

31 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. Support Direct Access in Azure

Today it is not supported to use the Remote Access Role in a Windows Server in Azure. It would be a great Feature, if Clients Can connect via Direct Access to Azure Ressources

95 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. Make the timeout period for the DSC VM extension configurable

Currently I am deploying a lab environment using ARM and DSC. The deployment includes an unattended installation of SQL server, which takes a lot of time. This means that most of the time the DSC VM extension times out after 90 minutes and gives an error while the DSC configuration will complete successfully a few minutes later. It would help if I could set the timeout for the extension myself.

72 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. Linux Gentoo image (VHD) by Microsoft

Add Gentoo Linux support.

65 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We have no current plans to create a Gentoo image, as we have seen a lower demand for this compared to other distros, and a workaround is possible by creating a custom VM image. Note that Gentoo is highly customizable, which makes it less suited to being offered as a platform image running Azure agent, as assumptions would need to be made about the desired configuration. We will revisit this decision if customer demand for this distro increases.

20. add the ability to create a VM and install an OS (Linux/Windows) from an .ISO

It would be great to be able to stand up a VM w/ my hardware requirements and mount an .iso of the OS that I want to install. This is how Hyper V and vCenter works. We would upload the OS .ISO to a datastore, give the new VM access to the indicated datastore, and use the .ISO that is on the datastore as a bootable OS.

This way we could install custom linux OS's or other versions of windows (e.g. server 2008 R2 Standard x64)

61 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
← Previous 1 3 4 5 73 74
  • Don't see your idea?

Virtual Machines

Categories

Feedback and Knowledge Base