Scripting and Command Line Tools

Azure provides two command line tools – PowerShell and Cross-Platform CLI – for you to manage your Azure subscriptions, accelerate your development and automate tasks via scripting, no matter whether you are on Windows, Mac or Linux.

If you have any feedback on Azure PowerShell or Azure Cross-Platform CLI, we’d love to hear it.

1. Powershell Script to clone a VM with its Data Disks

We have a scenario which may be a requirement to most IaaS users, we run VMs behind a load balancer, when we get a request to update, we remove one of the VMs from the load balancer, patch it and then test it. If tests are successful, we need to create a clone of the patched VM and then reinstate it behind the load balancer.

6 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Microsoft
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    under review  ·  0 comments  ·  Powershell  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Fix the command line Azure scripts for slow network connections

I currently use the command-line PowerShell scripts to deploy my PHP cloud service since I don't have PHP in Visual Studio. However, the command-line scripts do not upload the package using chunks as it does in Visual Studio. This means that on a slow connection (upload about 1Mb/s), it usually times out with a useless error message.
    I can workaround it by running the script and then ctrl-C after the package is built and before upload, at which point I have to upload via my browser in the portal but it is a pain.

4 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    under review  ·  0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. AZ mesh is not found

az: 'mesh' is not in the 'az' command group. See 'az --help'. this is what we get when enter this command on AZ Cli on terminal.

4 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Xplat-CLI  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Wrong status reported when PowerShell DSC extension fails

Problem:
    I have a DSC extension that failed (using version 1.7 that have been removed) during a deployment but in the Audit log I still see the step as Succeeded (see the attached screenshot)

Expected behavior:
    If the DSC or any other extension fails I expect that it fails the deployment and that it reflect so in the Audit log.

Steps to reproduce:
    Deploy the following template or any other of your own that refer a version not available of the DSC extension. When the deployment reach that point and fails, go back in the Audit logs, the step should…

4 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. AudioConfig.FromDefaultSpeakerOutput() does not work

I have a simple project, where I try to use my speaker output instead of my microphone for speech recognition, but when I use AudioConfig.FromDefaultSpeakerOutput() in my SpeechRecognizer, it still uses my default microphone.

Additionally, the documentation for this method is missing:
    https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/dotnet/api/microsoft.cognitiveservices.speech.audio.audioconfig?view=azure-dotnet

4 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. "az vm create" command has one redundant parameter, "--storage-account", since the storage account will be the same as the one of image.

"az vm create" command has one redundant parameter, "--storage-account", since the storage account will be the same as the one of image. This has already been specified in the image.

4 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. Script to update particular Azure cloud service COnfiguration

We are looking for powershell script to update particular azure clud service configuration. Set-AzureDeploment -Config does not have this feature.

4 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Powershell  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Keep Azure Powershell Cmdlts up to date with Portal Functionality

There are several things that you can do the in Management Portals that you are unable to do via powershell script. Such as setting Alerts, Backups for Websites, Automated Backups for SQL DB ,etc. These are crucial for anyone want to migrate a large set of DB's or websites over to Azure -- being able to automate these items instead of having to manually do in the portal.

4 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Powershell  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Azure PowerShell: get-azureresourceapiversion

Seems to be quite a mystery to fins out how to get the ApiVersion in Azure PowerShell to execute commands like remove-azureResource and plenty other.

why not develop a command like get-azureresourceapiversion that does the obvious ??

4 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

This is good feedback. We most likely will provide a Get-AzureResourceProvider cmdlet which will return the available resource providers, resource types and their versions.

10. Timestamp on Shell interfaces

When running various commands etc, it would be useful to have a timestamp on the shell, to understand, from a shell view perspective, how long certain commands are taking to run.

4 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. add application-gateway multi-site http-listener support in azure-cli

Could you consider adding support for application-gateway multi-site http-listeners in azure-cli (and azure 2.0 preview)?

4 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Xplat-CLI  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. Az Support for Loading SSL from KeyVault

The new Az Module lacks support for the CustomDomainHttpsParameters so I can load an SSL certificate from the KeyVault. As it stands now, I have to first use the Az Module to see if the cert exists then hit the management REST API from code. That's not desirable.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Powershell  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. Powershell or API ability to add\remove to favorites bar on Azure portal

The list of Azure services in the favorites bar on the left - would love to have a way of adding\removing this or creating a template that I can use when I have to manage a tenant. At the moment, as we are a CSP, each time a new tenant is added, I have to customize the favorites bar to my liking. I'd like to be able to automate this if possible,

Thanks
    Shaun

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. PowerShell Script required to fetch Azure VM Size Pricng for the particular region

Like Get-AzureRmVmSize -Location "East US" to fetch the list of Azure VM Size in the location we need PowerShell Script to fetch Azure VM Size Pricing for the particular region

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. Azure CLI and PS history

Enable Azure CLI and PS command history when launching from Azure Portal.

It would be great if we could use history by using up/down arrows when connecting with Azure CLI/PS using a new session/new command prompt from within Azure portal.

It was default for PS and saved me a lot of work.

Secondary Azure CLI installed on client pc does not offer history as well. info: used the default installer package (msi) from: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/cli/azure/install-azure-cli-windows?view=azure-cli-latest

3rd. I do not see all traffic manager profiles when using ps - only CLI does. This is too bad that MS move away from Azure…

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. *Anything* that is possible to do via the Azure Portal *must* also be possible to do via ARM/Powershell/Azure-cli/terraform

Hello,

As I have been working more and more with Azure resources over the years, I keep noticing shortfalls between what's available in the Azure Portal vs. what's available via infrastructure automation tools. IaC allows us to peer-review changes that are otherwise hard to track/bisect if done via the UI. Please keep in mind to offer support for IaC when introducing features into the azure portal and enhance documentation with better examples.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. Tags property behavior should be the same for ResourceGroup and Resource

I noticed a difference between the Tags property of a Resource Group and the Tags property of a single Resource.

When a new Resource Group (without tags) is created and you get a reference to it using Get-AzureRmResourceGroup and inspect it's "Tags" property, it will return $null.

When you do the same for a new Resource (without tags), using Get-AzureRmResource and querying the "Tags" property will throw a PropertyNotFound exception.

I suggest a change where the behavior of both Tags properties is the same. When a Resource Group or a Resource has no tags set, either let their Tags property…

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. indicate through the cli/portal when a instance is actually reachable.

The cli json output only indicates when the provisioningState: "Succeeded" however there is no indication in the json or through "az vm list" when the instance is actually reachable (via ssh or RDP).

This is particularly important when you created an automation workflow dependent on when the instance is reachable. The reach-ability is quite variable dependent on whether it is a GPU instance (NC or NV) or one of the compute (F -series) instances.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. It is really bad idea to depricate Select-AzureRmProfile

It is really bad idea to deprecate Select-AzureRmProfile
    A lot of community scripts/runbooks, internal scripts, etc,. are using that alias

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. Maintain User Defined Routes via DNS Name

A script designed to run in Azure Automation which takes a list of DNS names and updates VNet User Defined Routes based on the current IPs.

A config file would contain everything usually defined for a UDR, only with FQDNs instead of IPs. The script would resolve the FQDNs and then create the UDRs. When IPs change new rules would be added, but the rule for the old IP should also be retained until it has not been seen for 24 hours - to allow for transient changes or round robin DNS. This will require the script perform some state…

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  • Don't see your idea?

Scripting and Command Line Tools

Categories

Feedback and Knowledge Base