Scripting and Command Line Tools

Azure provides two command line tools – PowerShell and Cross-Platform CLI – for you to manage your Azure subscriptions, accelerate your development and automate tasks via scripting, no matter whether you are on Windows, Mac or Linux.

If you have any feedback on Azure PowerShell or Azure Cross-Platform CLI, we’d love to hear it.

1. Identify the co-administrators in with a powershell cmdlet

Need a way to view the administrators and co-administrators within a subscription

11 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Microsoft
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    1 comment  ·  Powershell  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Inventory Generation for ARM

Create a PowerShell script to generate inventory of a particular subscription for an Azure account. It should be developed for both ASM and ARM.

11 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Powershell  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Write manual (man) pages for Azure CLI 2.0 on macOS/Linux systems

Version 2.0 of the Azure CLI is supported on non-Windows platforms, such as Linux and macOS. However, the existing version of Azure CLI doesn't provide any manual (man) pages, which is the common/traditional/expected way to provide documentation on said platforms. Providing detailed man pages, including examples of usage, would make the Azure CLI much more approachable for users of non-Windows platforms (and/or new users).

10 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Xplat-CLI  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. upgrade MSBuild from 14to15 onkudu as compatibility with C#7 version so could you upgrade to 15 because industry using MSBuild 15 as for C#

we need MSBuild version 15 on kudu as compatibility with C#7 version so could you upgrade to 15 because industry using MSBuild 15 as for C#

10 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Powershell  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Support Worker Role in Powershell

Poweshell has all the ability of a .NET program and it's quick and easy to write a script. Allow us to create a worker role in Powershell.

10 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Just to make sure I understand it correctly. So the idea is having a work role implemented in PowerShell scripts so that people can run PowerShell scripts in a cloud service?

6. Azure CLI new command to disassociate public IP

Please, add a command for Azure CLI to dissasociate an IP from a Virtual Machine! Also a command to associate it again, it would help.

9 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. unable to use azure powershell with dreamspark

I get the following error:
    Get-AzureWebsite : Communication could not be established. This could be due to an
    invalid subscription ID. Note that subscription IDs are case sensitive.

Get-AzureWebsite : ForbiddenError: The server failed to authenticate the request.
    Verify that the certificate is valid and is associated with this subscription.
    In Zeile:1 Zeichen:1
    But the ID is correct

9 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. AudioConfig.FromDefaultSpeakerOutput() does not work

I have a simple project, where I try to use my speaker output instead of my microphone for speech recognition, but when I use AudioConfig.FromDefaultSpeakerOutput() in my SpeechRecognizer, it still uses my default microphone.

Additionally, the documentation for this method is missing:
    https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/dotnet/api/microsoft.cognitiveservices.speech.audio.audioconfig?view=azure-dotnet

8 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    3 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Invoke-Sqlcmd -Credential still only supports SQL user accounts v21.1.18080

Invoke-Sqlcmd has the -Credential Parameter which says it supports a PSCredential. In testing it does not work with windows accounts (domain or local) even though a PSCredential can store them and they work with other cmdlets. We should be able to use a single credential if it has rights to both the OS and Instance, the documentation is wrong or the implementation is wrong.

8 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. add the ability to run PowerShell 3.0 from the System Center 2012 Orchestrator Runbook Run .Net Script without calling a subroutine

I've documented this problem in the Windows Azure forums:
    http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en/scogeneral/thread/d0431d3f-52c3-41b4-be37-7c192e28a62a

Basically you have to do a workaround to call PowerShell 3.0 from a System Center 2012 Orchestrator Runbook Run .Net Script Activity because for whatever reason the activity called PowerShell 2.0 instead which isn't supported by Windows Azure PowerShell. Calling subroutines is a royal pain.

7 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. To automate the build of DEV, QA, and PROD SharePoint 2016 farms

To automate the build of the complete Azure environment for SharePoint 2016 farms including the networking for DEV, QA, and PROD farms that are using SQL Always On or assuming HA is required so companies can have their BUs spin up "IT Approved" full farm environments saving IT time.

7 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. ImportError: No module named 'azure'

ImportError: No module named 'azure'

why does this happen?

7 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. Powershell Script to clone a VM with its Data Disks

We have a scenario which may be a requirement to most IaaS users, we run VMs behind a load balancer, when we get a request to update, we remove one of the VMs from the load balancer, patch it and then test it. If tests are successful, we need to create a clone of the patched VM and then reinstate it behind the load balancer.

6 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    under review  ·  0 comments  ·  Powershell  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. Actually document CLI 2.0 commands fully.

Not impressed with CLI 2.0 documentation.
    specifically

az monitor alert-rules create

The webpages say - you need --condition.
    And this is used as --condition @{file} which does indeed pickup my file called 'condition' as listed below.

EVERY SINGLE permutation of the az monitor NEEDS to be DOCUMENTED and the --condition @{FILE}
    NEEDS to say WHAT is IN the BLOODY FILE

There is NO decent documentations. So this is a FAIL.

When trying to issue this command to create a Azure Monitoring alert:

az monitor alert-rules create --is-enabled IS_ENABLED --resource-group HCM-Monitoring-RG --alert-rule-resource-name /subscriptions/blahblah/resourceGroups/HCM-Monitoring-RG/providers/Microsoft.Compute/virtualMachines/myCuteVM --name JeffTestCreateRule --location westus --condition @{condition2}

The --condition…

5 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. Fix the command line Azure scripts for slow network connections

I currently use the command-line PowerShell scripts to deploy my PHP cloud service since I don't have PHP in Visual Studio. However, the command-line scripts do not upload the package using chunks as it does in Visual Studio. This means that on a slow connection (upload about 1Mb/s), it usually times out with a useless error message.
    I can workaround it by running the script and then ctrl-C after the package is built and before upload, at which point I have to upload via my browser in the portal but it is a pain.

4 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    under review  ·  0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. Enable updating of ADO keyvault-linked variable groups via rest api

Currently if you try to update an ADO variable group via the REST API, if it is linked to KeyVault then a successful update will break that link and instead place new variables into the group. I'd like to be able to create a new secret in Key Vault then add it to a new or existing variable group linked to that keyvault without having to fall back on using the ADO portal GUI.

4 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. AZ mesh is not found

az: 'mesh' is not in the 'az' command group. See 'az --help'. this is what we get when enter this command on AZ Cli on terminal.

4 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. Wrong status reported when PowerShell DSC extension fails

Problem:
    I have a DSC extension that failed (using version 1.7 that have been removed) during a deployment but in the Audit log I still see the step as Succeeded (see the attached screenshot)

Expected behavior:
    If the DSC or any other extension fails I expect that it fails the deployment and that it reflect so in the Audit log.

Steps to reproduce:
    Deploy the following template or any other of your own that refer a version not available of the DSC extension. When the deployment reach that point and fails, go back in the Audit logs, the step should…

4 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. "az vm create" command has one redundant parameter, "--storage-account", since the storage account will be the same as the one of image.

"az vm create" command has one redundant parameter, "--storage-account", since the storage account will be the same as the one of image. This has already been specified in the image.

4 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. Script to update particular Azure cloud service COnfiguration

We are looking for powershell script to update particular azure clud service configuration. Set-AzureDeploment -Config does not have this feature.

4 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  • Don't see your idea?

Scripting and Command Line Tools

Categories

Feedback and Knowledge Base