Mobile Apps

If you are reporting a bug, please report it through the User Forums

Please note that we are no longer accepting feature requests for Azure Mobile Services. All feature requests that are accepted will be implemented atop Azure App Service Mobile Apps.

How can we improve Azure App Service Mobile Apps?

You've used all your votes and won't be able to post a new idea, but you can still search and comment on existing ideas.

There are two ways to get more votes:

• When an admin closes an idea you've voted on, you'll get your votes back from that idea.
  • You can remove your votes from an open idea you support.
  • To see ideas you have already voted on, select the "My feedback" filter and select "My open ideas".
(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

1. Add support for geo-spatial types and queries

Add built in support for geo-spatial types (lat, long) and queries within range of a point, ordered by proximity to a point.

277 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      You have left! (?) (thinking…)
      4 comments  ·  Data  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    • Add support for DocumentDB

I would love to see a Azure Mobile Services Backend Extension for Azure DocumentDB (http://azure.microsoft.com/en-us/services/documentdb/)

223 votes
      Vote
      Sign in
      Check!
      (thinking…)
      Reset
      or sign in with
      • facebook
      • google
        Password icon
        Signed in as (Sign out)
        6 comments  ·  Data  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We did a bunch of work around DocumentDb, but bumped into some incompatibilities in a few areas. We are working with DocumentDb to get these incompatibilities worked into a release. The work within the Mobile Apps area has been suspended pending those DocumentDb changes.

We are actively monitoring this situation and will pick up this work stream again once DocumentDb has the support we require. I understand that a lot of people want ASP.NET support – that is further out than Node.js support at this point based on the work needed to be done to support System.Web.OData requirements.

• Support batching of requests

Mobile Services should support the OData batching convention. This provides two major benefits:
        1) Enables associated changes to be presented to the service in a single changeset, which makes transactions more doable on the backend.
        2) Requests with very long URIs that would normally get rejected by the web server can be wrapped in a batch.

29 votes
        Vote
        Sign in
        Check!
        (thinking…)
        Reset
        or sign in with
        • facebook
        • google
          Password icon
          Signed in as (Sign out)
          1 comment  ·  Data  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
        • 22 votes
          Vote
          Sign in
          Check!
          (thinking…)
          Reset
          or sign in with
          • facebook
          • google
            Password icon
            Signed in as (Sign out)
            0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
          • Support Weibo for authentication

Weibo is the 'twitter' of China, which is of course a large market. It would be great if Weibo was plugged into the existing Mobile Services Authentication service.

18 votes
            Vote
            Sign in
            Check!
            (thinking…)
            Reset
            or sign in with
            • facebook
            • google
              Password icon
              Signed in as (Sign out)
              0 comments  ·  Authentication  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
            • Separate assemblies for entity description, e.g. DataTableAttribute

The DataTable attribute should be available outside of the Microsoft.WindowsAzure.MobileServices DLL. The assembly that defines the entity types should not have the necessity to reference the complete MobileServices DLL.
              An initial design I had was to separate the entity types that are used from the Windows Store app from the entity types that are used with mobile services, and created a converter to convert the corresponding types. This separates the entity types from mobile services and makes it easy to switch technologies. However, it has too many disadvantages, in special to get the updated entities back to the UI. In…

16 votes
              Vote
              Sign in
              Check!
              (thinking…)
              Reset
              or sign in with
              • facebook
              • google
                Password icon
                Signed in as (Sign out)
                2 comments  ·  Client SDK  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We are evaluating a design that will allow you to use different classes and not have to inherit from ITableData. Would that solve the problem you’re describing?

• Add query.toSql() method for building alternate SQL queries

Because of the lack of relational query support, I have to use Views in my Read methods in order to return the data I need without being a huge strain on performance. But if I do that, I lose the ability to use the query object that you guys build based on the incoming parameters.

It would be great if you could add a query.toSql() method, which would let me pass in parameters to specify which parts of the query to include, so that I can append the string to the end of my custom "SELECT * FROM SomeView" statement.

12 votes
                Vote
                Sign in
                Check!
                (thinking…)
                Reset
                or sign in with
                • facebook
                • google
                  Password icon
                  Signed in as (Sign out)
                  1 comment  ·  Data  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We’ll consider this improvement to the JavaScript backend. You might also be interested in the .NET backend, which would make this kind of query easier.

• Add a service call (surfaced through the client APIs) to enumerate the identity providers that are configured/enabled in settings.

The idea is to be able to dynamically determine from a client app which of the identity providers are configured/enabled (this perhaps implies the ability to enable/disable providers, but that is secondary.) This way a client could interrogate this configuration and present the user with a UI which they could use to choose which service /credentials they'd like to use to authenticate with, without having to hardcode the choices into the client applications at development time.

10 votes
                  Vote
                  Sign in
                  Check!
                  (thinking…)
                  Reset
                  or sign in with
                  • facebook
                  • google
                    Password icon
                    Signed in as (Sign out)
                    1 comment  ·  Authentication  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                    under review  ·  Miranda LunaMiranda Luna responded

Definitely something we’ll keep on the radar. Do you anticipate pulling from many different identity providers or swapping them out frequently?

• Multi-AAD User Authentication

I added AAD authentication to my mobile service which is working perfect.
                    The problem is when I map a user which already exists in another AAD the authentication fails.

Error: AADSTS70001: Application with identifier [App-ID] was not found in the directory [user's primary aad]

6 votes
                    Vote
                    Sign in
                    Check!
                    (thinking…)
                    Reset
                    or sign in with
                    • facebook
                    • google
                      Password icon
                      Signed in as (Sign out)
                    • Integrate into the Android Loaders Framework (or allow to call azure without an asynctask)

Ref: http://developer.android.com/guide/components/loaders.html

Loaders are awesome for caching results between configuration changes (screen rotations) (see bullet #4 in the above link)

Currently it is impossible to integrate the sdk and loaders because loaders expect the data to be provided to them on the same thread, but currently sdk wraps everything into an async task, which messes everything up. (loaders have their own implementation of an async task).

5 votes
                      Vote
                      Sign in
                      Check!
                      (thinking…)
                      Reset
                      or sign in with
                      • facebook
                      • google
                        Password icon
                        Signed in as (Sign out)
                        3 comments  ·  Client SDK  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                      • Add support to group by queries

Add support to group by queries against the IMobileServiceTable. I need this to show grouped data from large datasources without the needed of load the entire dataset.

3 votes
                        Vote
                        Sign in
                        Check!
                        (thinking…)
                        Reset
                        or sign in with
                        • facebook
                        • google
                          Password icon
                          Signed in as (Sign out)
                          1 comment  ·  Client SDK  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                        • Allow Azure Mobile apps AAD authentication express configuration to use more than just the default directory

Allow Azure Mobile apps AAD authentication express configuration to use more than just the default directory.

Configuring AAD authentication using the advanced option is TRICKY. Express is slick but limits you to the default directory of your subscription

3 votes
                          Vote
                          Sign in
                          Check!
                          (thinking…)
                          Reset
                          or sign in with
                          • facebook
                          • google
                            Password icon
                            Signed in as (Sign out)
                          • Make Easy Tables Support Unlimited Columns

So far, I am very pleased with Microsoft Azure. Previously I had used Parse, which implemented something similar in their user interface to easy tables. However, after switching to Azure I cannot see all of my columns on my table. This is because the width of the blade does not not expand to fit the table and does not provide a horizontal scroll feature such as Parse. In the images attached, notice the difference between the same table, shown on Microsoft Azure and on Parse. It is problematic to read my data through the portal. Any comments or suggestions you…

3 votes
                            Vote
                            Sign in
                            Check!
                            (thinking…)
                            Reset
                            or sign in with
                            • facebook
                            • google
                              Password icon
                              Signed in as (Sign out)
                              0 comments  ·  Data  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                            • 1 vote
                              Vote
                              Sign in
                              Check!
                              (thinking…)
                              Reset
                              or sign in with
                              • facebook
                              • google
                                Password icon
                                Signed in as (Sign out)
                                1 comment  ·  Management  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                              • Don't see your idea?

Mobile Apps

Feedback and Knowledge Base