SDK and Tools

How can we improve the Azure SDK and Tools?

You've used all your votes and won't be able to post a new idea, but you can still search and comment on existing ideas.

There are two ways to get more votes:

• When an admin closes an idea you've voted on, you'll get your votes back from that idea.
  • You can remove your votes from an open idea you support.
  • To see ideas you have already voted on, select the "My feedback" filter and select "My open ideas".
(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

1. Support Java >=9 at Azure App Service

It's a little disappointing to only be able to target Java 7 & 8 runtime with the provided app service containers. Java 9 and 10 are both GA, 9 more than a year ago now.

6 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: oidc
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    2 comments  ·  Java  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Improve upon the PHP SDK

Hi,

The Azure PHP SDK has not been functionally updated for a long time, and I'm hoping to see some focus on it's SDK. For example, Azure DNS is not exposed. I don't know if the strategy is to wrap the Management REST API in the SDKs or to fully support (classes and methods) the functionality that Azure offers.

https://github.com/Azure/azure-sdk-for-php

6 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  PHP  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. JavaScript as a native language for Azure

How about making JavaScript as one of the native language for developing apps for Azure, similar to C#, VB.NET, C++, something you're doing for Metro Apps.

6 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    under review  ·  1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. PyCharm Azure Toolkit/Explorer

PyCharm Azure Toolkit/Explorer similar to IntelliJ's. So that I can connect to Table Storage and the like.

6 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Python  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Offer a javascript sdk that can be run in web browser

I am developing a photo sharing website and need to store photos into azure storage blob. I found the existing nodejs sdk doesn't run well in web browser environment. I know browsfy is one option but that is not the best. The best is that team provide a small javascript sdk that can be run in web browsers so that data can directly be communicated between client browsers and storage service without going through the web servers wasting cpu/bandwidth.

6 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Ability to login Visual Studio Server Explorer with RBAC accounts.

One of the customer wants to connect Azure from Server Explorer. Cloud Explorer is not enough because it won't show all subscriptions if the customer has several Active Directories.

This is the related post below. But it is completed as of now, so I created a new one.
    https://feedback.azure.com/forums/170031-sdk-and-tools/suggestions/6631677-allow-role-based-access-to-azure-portal-via-visual

6 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Tools for Visual Studio  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. BUG: Can't access Azure Subscription via Visual Studio Server Explorer when using RBAC

Our dev's access is configured via RBAC in Azure. Now they can't use Visual Studio Server Explorer to access the Azure Subscription.

6 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  .NET  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Adobe Flex on Windows Azure..

I have developed an application on Adobe Flex platform and running it on the Windows Azure platform.Although Microsoft haven't released Officialy the support for Action Scripts and MXML on the Azure platform but I have developed it and Microsoft should release officially its support as its running fine.And soon there will be a SDK for Flash Builder.

5 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Append blob operation want to supported by Azure Storage emulator.

We use Azure storage emulator for developing some software .

But we can't emulate Append Blob on Azure Storage emulator.

( I know Append blob emulation supported by REST API. )

If the emulator support Append blob , we can easily develop software for Append Blob.

4 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  SDK  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. api tree instead of several entry points

Provide a single point of entry for all apis under the Azure umbrella. Billing, Storage, System status, Deployments, CDN ... it should all have a single parent.

4 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. Add IntelliTrace against the compute emulator

Would be great to have IntelliTrace work against the local compute emulator.

4 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. 4 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. simplify the certificate creation process for noobs. The Virtual Studio instructions are confusing.

I'm new to Azure, but familiar with on-prem setups and networking.

I had to do a massive download and install to create a local root cert (I don't know that area) and the TechNet instruction page I was following wasn't accurate with the virtual studio I downloaded. Think I have the latest and greatest.

Either way, please simplify that bit.

thanks

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. Support for detecting port from Docker container other than the .Net Core app

Our configuration includes an nginx proxy in front of .Net Core. When using the Visual Studio Tools for Docker, it attempts to detect the exposed port from the .Net Core application container, and uses it to launch the browser.

However, when I add the nginx proxy to the docker-compose.yml file, I'd like it to instead get the port from the proxy container, which is then forwarding to the application. Currently, it fails with an error "Can not find any host ports in the conainer 'xxxx'" and i have to lookup the port number myself from Docker.

Allowing this would mean…

4 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Tools for Visual Studio  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. Make Persistence Channel available for Java

The PersistenceChannel should be made available in the Java SDK as well.

4 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. Single installer for the entire Azure SDK

When downloading Azure SDK offline the download button takes me to a list of files that are not very descriptive. I end up downloading and installing all of them as I don't want to waste time working out if I need all of them.

An example is Azure SDK 2.9.

It would be nice if I could download an offline installer with the entire Azure SDK libraries and tools in one bundle or if there could be further information as to what each of those files is for and in cases of I just want latest SDK a download and…

4 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  SDK  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. Improve Java SDK Documentation

The documentation for the Java SDK is too sparse. Sure there are the JavaDocs, but we need more "real-life" examples ... for example, how to use Key Vault, how to Authenticate .....

The examples that are there are not really sufficiently detailed and don't really give any explanations aside from sample code.

4 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. 4 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. Fix bug which prevents publishing console app to a file

When I attempt to publish a Console app to a file, I get this error:

1>------ Build started: Project: DockerTest, Configuration: Release Any CPU ------
    1>
    1> Build succeeded.
    1> 0 Warning(s).
    1> 0 Error(s).
    1>
    1> Time elapsed 00:00:00.0120036
    1>
    2>------ Publish started: Project: DockerTest, Configuration: Release Any CPU ------
    Connecting to C:\Docker\DockerTest\src\DockerTest\..\..\artifacts\bin\DockerTest\Release\PublishOutput...
    rmdir /S /Q "C:\Users\stolmie\AppData\Local\Temp\PublishTemp\DockerTest52\"
    Environment variables:
    Path=.\node_modules\.bin;C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 14.0\Common7\IDE\Extensions\Microsoft\Web Tools\External;%PATH%;C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 14.0\Common7\IDE\Extensions\Microsoft\Web Tools\External\git
    C:\Users\stolmie\.dnx\runtimes\dnx-clr-win-x86.1.0.0-rc1-update1\bin\dnu.cmd publish "C:\Docker\DockerTest\src\DockerTest" --out "C:\Users\stolmie\AppData\Local\Temp\PublishTemp\DockerTest52" --configuration Release --runtime dnx-coreclr-win-x64.1.0.0-rc1-update1 --quiet
    Microsoft .NET Development Utility Clr-x86-1.0.0-rc1-16231
    Copying to output path C:\Users\stolmie\AppData\Local\Temp\PublishTemp\DockerTest52
    Time elapsed 00:00:01.5757964
    C:\Program Files (x86)\MSBuild\Microsoft\VisualStudio\v14.0\Web\Microsoft.DNX.Publishing.targets(386,5): Error…

4 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Tools for Visual Studio  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. Set the Portal as the Visual Studio Default "Start Page"

While this is a minor thing, this would be nice to at least "appear" to have a single experience in Visual Studio. I will most likely load it separately, but for marketing purposes, I think it would make sense.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  • Don't see your idea?

SDK and Tools

Feedback and Knowledge Base