SDK and Tools

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Add F# documentation for Azure SDK

Add documentation for the Azure services from F#, particularly documenting

(a) how to use basic services like blob and table storage from the F# Interactive REPL, to allow F# scripting to be used to script Azure

(b) showing how to develop and use F# type providers for Azure

All the documentation should be cross-platform so that F# users on Mac, Linux and mobile can also learn how to use Azure services.

The current documentation for C# is very difficult to follow for F# programmers since it depends on specific Visual Studio tooling.

243 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Microsoft
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    2 comments  ·  .NET  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Export Resource Group to Visio Diagram

loving the power of Resource Groups. Was thinking that it would be useful to be able to do Get-AzureResourceGroupToVisio where it would generate diagram with the relevant Shapes for resource types and show connections between (say) Web Sites and SQL Databases / Servers

166 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    12 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We are looking into this… is Visio the end goal here or just something that will help visualize the contents of the template/resource group?

3. depoly to blob storage as part of visual studio publish

It would be great in visual studio to mark a css, js or image (so static file) as needing deployment to blob storage as part of the publishing process. This would make it much easier to create website that utilize table storage and CDN for these files speeding up sites and making it easier to make changes to this static content

79 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Tools for Visual Studio  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    under review  ·  Brady Gaster responded

I’ve discussed an idea like this with a few of the web tooling Program Managers recently, and we all agree that the feature is indeed a legitimate one we should consider. The discussions are really early.

We do have support for uploading files to blob storage accounts directly from within VS. We also have web publishing capabilities. Add to that the support we have in Razor for being able to load things like jQuery from disk when the site’s running in debug mode to later loading from a CDN, and it seems like something we could develop.

We’re looking into the options now. I’ll keep this thread updated in the future.

4. Create NuGet packages for all assemblies in the Windows Azure SDK

Today there are official NuGet packages for some of the assemblies in the Azure SDK like Service Bus and Configuration Manager. Others are missing, like Service Runtime. There are some community contributed packages, but I prefer official ones.
    The motivation for NuGet packages is the same as always:
    * you automatically get the needed changes in your app/web.config
    * you can more easily change the version number of the assembly that you like to use, in the package.config and then push to your VCS. Compare this with reinstalling a new version of the SDK on every developer/CI/build machine.
    * the…

57 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We are currently investigating the opportunities around shipping more features as NuGet packages. We have opened up far more areas as NuGet packages than in previous releases. That said, the idea of creating a NuGet package that contains the emulator is a large effort. As we progress towards this goal or realize that it isn’t possible I’ll update the forum thread.

For the time being, rest assured we’ve heard this comment, which has been echoed by the larger Windows Azure community. As an Azure developer myself I find merit in this request and feel there is a good chance it could eventually be realized.

5. publish from VS with app_offline.htm

Make it easier to allow a 'appoffline.html' when publishing from visual studio.
    Everytime i'm publishing from VS, my app starts to serve the error page to my customers. I wish that i could add app
    offline.htm file when publishing starts and removing it when publishing finishes.

34 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

I’m following up with the team on this item and we’ll update this forum post ASAP.

6. Use NuGet to add ARM templates and supporting artifacts to a Visual Studio Azure Resource Group Project

You may have several "Azure Resource Group” projects in Visual Studio 2015 that use DSC, Linux Scripts and other artifacts. In the case of DSC, some depend on modules in the PowerShell Gallery (which is based on NuGet).

It would be advantages if I could use NuGet to add those modules to my project and have Visual Studio 2015 package them as part of “dsc.zip" when building or deploying the resource group.

There are additional benefits if the project type supported NuGet Packages, including a better mechanism to share ARM templates between projects (just imagine having an ARM Template Gallery…

30 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Tools for Visual Studio  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Fix the long path-name issue in the SDK Dev Fabric

The insanely long path-name used for the deployment folder in the Dev Fabric often results in apps not working. PLEASE fix it so the path-name is shorter, or let use specify a base folder (e.g. C:\Temp) for the Dev Fabric to use.

27 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    3 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

I know this has been improved since the post was originally sent in, but will check with the team to verify exactly what the limitations are in the latest release.

8. Start/stop instances by the development compute emulator UI

There should be a possibility to to spin off new instances of a certain role within the compute emulator UI. The other way should be possible too. You should be able to gracefully shut down 1 of the X instances running of a role by the compute emulator UI.

In development you want to be able to easily test your inner-role communication with starting or stopping instances, which looks like a missing feature in the compute emulator UI.

26 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

I’m coordinating with the proper teams to get a more comprehensive update on this item. Someone will follow up on the thread ASAP.

9. Multitenancy framework for provisioning and metering

Extend SDK and security framework to support multitenancy and ability to meter CPU and storage usage for (groups of) users.

18 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. Fix issue deployments screen issue: Get/Refresh TFS OAuth token failed with invalid_grant

If I go to the deployments tab for my website, I get an error saying: 'Could not connect to the Visual Studio Online.'
    The detailed message says 'Get/Refresh TFS OAuth token failed with invalid_grant'.

This screen worked when I first set the site up, but has broken since. My TFS online account is working and the solution does build and deploy.

11 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. BUG: Debugging deployment slots from Cloud Explorer/Azure SDK

I can debug the main web app, but attempting to debug any of its deployment slots fails with the following error:

"Action is not supported in your current Azure SDK version"

I'm running Win10 x64 Enterprise, VS 2015 Enterprise and Azure SDK 2.7.1, with all updates to my knowledge.

11 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Tools for Visual Studio  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. JavaScript as a native language for Azure

How about making JavaScript as one of the native language for developing apps for Azure, similar to C#, VB.NET, C++, something you're doing for Metro Apps.

6 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    under review  ·  1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. Add IntelliTrace against the compute emulator

Would be great to have IntelliTrace work against the local compute emulator.

4 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. Add the Ability to Swap VIPs from within Visual Studio

I wish I could stay completely within the IDE (Visual Studio) to publish to a staging instance on Azure, and then do a VIP swap with the production instance. As it is right now, I have to open the Management Portal every time I want to do a VIP swap.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Tools for Visual Studio  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. Add more control over Shell.Net.ajax error handling please

Currently, Shell.Net.ajax regards non-2xx responses as errors to be logged and reported in the UI, and because of how it forcibly overwrites your "completed" handler, there's no way of stopping it.

This is unhelpful if you're talking to a RESTful API which uses other status codes in meaningful ways. For example, the Zumo API returns 404s if you request things that aren't there, and the only way of finding out whether they are there is to request them. Getting a 404, then, is not an error to be logged - it's a legitimate piece of information that we expect and…

2 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    under review  ·  Calvin responded

Not currently in plan as far as I know, but will pass this on to the engineering team.

16. 2 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. 2 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. Enable Azure WebSite Content sync from Team Foundation Service, similar to DropBox integration.

Azure WebSite update from DropBox is simple and fast. On the other hand, migrations from Team Foundation Services triggers a build-n-migration using build service.

The suggestion is to enable pure content sync from Team Foundation Service as an option for migration to Azure Web Site (a non .Net site that doesn't require compilation or even a pre-compiled .Net site).

2 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    under review  ·  Erez Benari responded

Thanks for your suggestion, Venkatesh. The Windows Azure team will look into adding this to WAWS.

19. Development notification icon should show count of active deployments

Sometimes when debugging azure in the development fabric I find that my deployments are not deleted when I stop, or take a long time. Checking whether they are still running is fairly slow, requiring me to open the computer emulator and wait for it to load. How about if in addition to saying "Compute emulator is started" it could show "n deployments"?

2 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

I believe this functionality has been included in a recent drop of the SDK but am following up with the tools team to get a more comprehensive answer on this.

20. Deploy-AzureResourceGroup.ps1 slow to upload artifacts

The Azure Resource Group project no longer uses AzCopy to upload artifacts to a storage blob container, but uses Set-AzureStorageBlobContent which is much much slower!

This has a big impact as we have many linked templates and may web deploy packages to upload.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Thanks, Anthony – we’ll take a look at options here. Our preference is not to put AZCopy back into all projects (though you could easily add in the interim) but to try to make the cmdlets faster – open to your thoughts on that…

← Previous 1
  • Don't see your idea?

SDK and Tools

Categories

Feedback and Knowledge Base