SDK and Tools

1. Offer a javascript sdk that can be run in web browser

I am developing a photo sharing website and need to store photos into azure storage blob. I found the existing nodejs sdk doesn't run well in web browser environment. I know browsfy is one option but that is not the best. The best is that team provide a small javascript sdk that can be run in web browsers so that data can directly be communicated between client browsers and storage service without going through the web servers wasting cpu/bandwidth.

6 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Microsoft
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Client Application Deployment to Azure Cloud (VS 2015 RC)

The 'Publish Client App' deployment option continues to be the FTP site option in the VS 2015 RC.

A more sophisticated deployment process that accommodates publishing a windows client (WPF App) to the cloud for bootstrapping/download/subscription/updates would be of benefit to developers (ISVS) looking to use the Azure cloud as a launch for native .net apps.

2 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  3. simplify the certificate creation process for noobs. The Virtual Studio instructions are confusing.

I'm new to Azure, but familiar with on-prem setups and networking.

I had to do a massive download and install to create a local root cert (I don't know that area) and the TechNet instruction page I was following wasn't accurate with the virtual studio I downloaded. Think I have the latest and greatest.

Either way, please simplify that bit.

thanks

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  4. Make VS tooling aligned with Portal

The portal is checking if there are more than one route for a get/post. The Visual Studio tooling does not. Please make them both act the same and keep them aligned. This way it enables Continuous delivery pipelines etc.

17 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    planned  ·  1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. 4 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Too easy to delete a Azure production database in Visual Studio

Too easy to delete a Azure production database in Visual Studio

Why not a checkbox for locking the database for deletion in the Azure portal.

9 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. Azure SDK/Depoloyment bug - around Resource file (localization)

There needs to be a description of Best Practices for Localization of Azure Solutions.

We built a solution that has WebWorker with both JScript client side code and Server side code. In one case we need to send an email alert from the server side and in other cases the JScript side needs to display text to the user

A standard practice for traditional web apps is to put all of the strings in a resource file. That way I can hand off the file for translation, without having to go searching for the strings everywhere.

But this causes a…

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  SDK  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Export Resource Group to Visio Diagram

loving the power of Resource Groups. Was thinking that it would be useful to be able to do Get-AzureResourceGroupToVisio where it would generate diagram with the relevant Shapes for resource types and show connections between (say) Web Sites and SQL Databases / Servers

188 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    12 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We are looking into this… is Visio the end goal here or just something that will help visualize the contents of the template/resource group?

9. fix the problem, or get it fixed in One Click installs of additional software

I've encountered the same error using the Web install capability twice in the last week. In both cases, the software being deployed already existed on the machine. The installs came from two different vendors, of which, Azure was one (WebMatrix). The other was (GitHub for Windows).

Apparently, the installer doesn't check for the existence of the product being installed already being in place. Also, the web pages redirecting to the installer do not offer a means to skip the installation phase, so the user must elect the install in order to continue.

2 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. Add F# documentation for Azure SDK

Add documentation for the Azure services from F#, particularly documenting

(a) how to use basic services like blob and table storage from the F# Interactive REPL, to allow F# scripting to be used to script Azure

(b) showing how to develop and use F# type providers for Azure

All the documentation should be cross-platform so that F# users on Mac, Linux and mobile can also learn how to use Azure services.

The current documentation for C# is very difficult to follow for F# programmers since it depends on specific Visual Studio tooling.

251 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  .NET  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Message about webjobs connection strings is incorrect

On the webjobs detail page, the following message appears if the app.config is set incorrectly. This message does not match the documented connection strings at http://azure.microsoft.com/blog/2014/06/18/announcing-the-0-3-0-beta-preview-of-microsoft-azure-webjobs-sdk/
    Additionally, the link would be better if it pointed to an article more specific to the webjobs / problem at hand.

Make sure that you are setting a connection string named AzureWebJobsDashboard in your Microsoft Azure Website configuration with a value similar to DefaultEndpointsProtocol=https;AccountName=NAME;AccountKey=KEY pointing to the Microsoft Azure Storage account where the Microsoft Azure WebJobs Runtime logs are stored.
    Please visit the article about configuring connection strings for more information on how you…

15 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. Provide full scripting support for virtual networking

Currently, there is no scripting support for configuring virtual networking. One needs to download a netcfg file and start messing in XML and then upload the file to Azure. This is error prone and totally scripting unfriendly (no automation unless through scripting XML). One can change VM properties without exporting its config XML file. Why should this be a requirement for virtual networking?

2 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. expend some effort making Azure SDK more reliable

The Azure SDK often does not produce useful errors and causes exceptions when it shouldn't in a number of scenarios. If your ServiceConfiguration.Local.cscfg file references an SSL certificate not present on your machine, you get a null reference exception message in the build output window when building instead of a more useful message saying the certificate was not found. If the .cscfg does not exist, the Azure SDK complains even if a pre-build step creates the cscfg file (as might happen when the cscfg files are ignored in source control so that developers don't step on each other's toes). The…

2 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. Opening a browser during debugging should be optional per role

I have a public web role and a private worker role in my cloud service. It would be nice if I had the option to configure which roles open a browser window during debugging of the cloud service project.

An alternative would be for the debugger to only open a browser window for each actual endpoint defined in the cloud service (again, per role), rather than for each web app that is launched (using IIS Express).

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Tools for Visual Studio  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. Use the URL debug settings of the ASP.NET application project

Dear Azure SDK Team,

This feature may seem really insignificant, but it's essential for being able to use a self-signed certificate during local debugging.

For example, I have my hosts file configured to redirect "x.mydomain.com" to 127.0.0.7, and I installed and registered a self-signed certificate for that domain with IIS Express, using the procedure outlined here:

http://www.hanselman.com/blog/WorkingWithSSLAtDevelopmentTimeIsEasierWithIISExpress.aspx

But that no longer works when I debug the web app as part of a cloud service. :(

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Tools for Visual Studio  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. Fix issue deployments screen issue: Get/Refresh TFS OAuth token failed with invalid_grant

If I go to the deployments tab for my website, I get an error saying: 'Could not connect to the Visual Studio Online.'
    The detailed message says 'Get/Refresh TFS OAuth token failed with invalid_grant'.

This screen worked when I first set the site up, but has broken since. My TFS online account is working and the solution does build and deploy.

11 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. Update Azure SDK (Emulators) to work with current NuGet versions - Please

This appears to be a huge issue as local development cannot progress past v2.1 of the SDK (http://www.windowsazure.com/en-us/downloads/ ) while the NuGet packages continue to progress (to v3+ per https://www.nuget.org/packages/WindowsAzure.Storage/).

All of the progress being made on the azure storage libraries cannot be utilized unless the developer is willing to give up local development.

Thanks for taking a look.

7 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. Set the Portal as the Visual Studio Default "Start Page"

While this is a minor thing, this would be nice to at least "appear" to have a single experience in Visual Studio. I will most likely load it separately, but for marketing purposes, I think it would make sense.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. Create VS project template for publishing to Azure storage as if it were a web site.

If we had a project template for Azure storage publishing we could easily version, manage, and publish static content within VS as if it were just another project. This would greatly improve the user experience of publishing to a CDN enabled storage account.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. Enable Azure WebSite Content sync from Team Foundation Service, similar to DropBox integration.

Azure WebSite update from DropBox is simple and fast. On the other hand, migrations from Team Foundation Services triggers a build-n-migration using build service.

The suggestion is to enable pure content sync from Team Foundation Service as an option for migration to Azure Web Site (a non .Net site that doesn't require compilation or even a pre-compiled .Net site).

2 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    under review  ·  Erez Benari responded

Thanks for your suggestion, Venkatesh. The Windows Azure team will look into adding this to WAWS.

• Don't see your idea?

SDK and Tools

Categories

Feedback and Knowledge Base