SDK and Tools

How can we improve the Azure SDK and Tools?

You've used all your votes and won't be able to post a new idea, but you can still search and comment on existing ideas.

There are two ways to get more votes:

• When an admin closes an idea you've voted on, you'll get your votes back from that idea.
  • You can remove your votes from an open idea you support.
  • To see ideas you have already voted on, select the "My feedback" filter and select "My open ideas".
(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

1. depoly to blob storage as part of visual studio publish

It would be great in visual studio to mark a css, js or image (so static file) as needing deployment to blob storage as part of the publishing process. This would make it much easier to create website that utilize table storage and CDN for these files speeding up sites and making it easier to make changes to this static content

78 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      You have left! (?) (thinking…)
      1 comment  ·  Tools for Visual Studio  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
      under review  ·  Brady Gaster responded

I’ve discussed an idea like this with a few of the web tooling Program Managers recently, and we all agree that the feature is indeed a legitimate one we should consider. The discussions are really early.

We do have support for uploading files to blob storage accounts directly from within VS. We also have web publishing capabilities. Add to that the support we have in Razor for being able to load things like jQuery from disk when the site’s running in debug mode to later loading from a CDN, and it seems like something we could develop.

We’re looking into the options now. I’ll keep this thread updated in the future.

• Use NuGet to add ARM templates and supporting artifacts to a Visual Studio Azure Resource Group Project

You may have several "Azure Resource Group” projects in Visual Studio 2015 that use DSC, Linux Scripts and other artifacts. In the case of DSC, some depend on modules in the PowerShell Gallery (which is based on NuGet).

It would be advantages if I could use NuGet to add those modules to my project and have Visual Studio 2015 package them as part of “dsc.zip" when building or deploying the resource group.

There are additional benefits if the project type supported NuGet Packages, including a better mechanism to share ARM templates between projects (just imagine having an ARM Template Gallery…

16 votes
      Vote
      Sign in
      Check!
      (thinking…)
      Reset
      or sign in with
      • facebook
      • google
        Password icon
        Signed in as (Sign out)
        0 comments  ·  Tools for Visual Studio  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
      • BUG: Debugging deployment slots from Cloud Explorer/Azure SDK

I can debug the main web app, but attempting to debug any of its deployment slots fails with the following error:

"Action is not supported in your current Azure SDK version"

I'm running Win10 x64 Enterprise, VS 2015 Enterprise and Azure SDK 2.7.1, with all updates to my knowledge.

11 votes
        Vote
        Sign in
        Check!
        (thinking…)
        Reset
        or sign in with
        • facebook
        • google
          Password icon
          Signed in as (Sign out)
          1 comment  ·  Tools for Visual Studio  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
        • Offer a continuous integration service like BuildHive

BuildHive is a cloud based continuous integration service for Java applications. It polls Git for changes. After each commit it builds the code and runs unit tests, sending emails on failure.

Microsoft could offer a similar service for .NET

8 votes
          Vote
          Sign in
          Check!
          (thinking…)
          Reset
          or sign in with
          • facebook
          • google
            Password icon
            Signed in as (Sign out)
            planned  ·  2 comments  ·  Tools for Visual Studio  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
          • Multiple csdef file for cloud service project

While packaging or publishing the cloud service project from Visual Studio I have option to choose different service config files.

I would be nice if I can define multiple csdef files and choose one of them while creating the package.

8 votes
            Vote
            Sign in
            Check!
            (thinking…)
            Reset
            or sign in with
            • facebook
            • google
              Password icon
              Signed in as (Sign out)
              0 comments  ·  Tools for Visual Studio  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
            • Automatically start up Azure development storage in Visual Studio

Too many times have I run a project only to find that I forgot to start up the Azure dev storage. This should be done automatically.

7 votes
              Vote
              Sign in
              Check!
              (thinking…)
              Reset
              or sign in with
              • facebook
              • google
                Password icon
                Signed in as (Sign out)
              • Ability to login Visual Studio Server Explorer with RBAC accounts.

One of the customer wants to connect Azure from Server Explorer. Cloud Explorer is not enough because it won't show all subscriptions if the customer has several Active Directories.

This is the related post below. But it is completed as of now, so I created a new one.
                https://feedback.azure.com/forums/170031-sdk-and-tools/suggestions/6631677-allow-role-based-access-to-azure-portal-via-visual

6 votes
                Vote
                Sign in
                Check!
                (thinking…)
                Reset
                or sign in with
                • facebook
                • google
                  Password icon
                  Signed in as (Sign out)
                • Support for detecting port from Docker container other than the .Net Core app

Our configuration includes an nginx proxy in front of .Net Core. When using the Visual Studio Tools for Docker, it attempts to detect the exposed port from the .Net Core application container, and uses it to launch the browser.

However, when I add the nginx proxy to the docker-compose.yml file, I'd like it to instead get the port from the proxy container, which is then forwarding to the application. Currently, it fails with an error "Can not find any host ports in the conainer 'xxxx'" and i have to lookup the port number myself from Docker.

Allowing this would mean…

4 votes
                  Vote
                  Sign in
                  Check!
                  (thinking…)
                  Reset
                  or sign in with
                  • facebook
                  • google
                    Password icon
                    Signed in as (Sign out)
                  • Fix bug which prevents publishing console app to a file

When I attempt to publish a Console app to a file, I get this error:

1>------ Build started: Project: DockerTest, Configuration: Release Any CPU ------
                    1>
                    1> Build succeeded.
                    1> 0 Warning(s).
                    1> 0 Error(s).
                    1>
                    1> Time elapsed 00:00:00.0120036
                    1>
                    2>------ Publish started: Project: DockerTest, Configuration: Release Any CPU ------
                    Connecting to C:\Docker\DockerTest\src\DockerTest\..\..\artifacts\bin\DockerTest\Release\PublishOutput...
                    rmdir /S /Q "C:\Users\stolmie\AppData\Local\Temp\PublishTemp\DockerTest52\"
                    Environment variables:
                    Path=.\node_modules\.bin;C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 14.0\Common7\IDE\Extensions\Microsoft\Web Tools\External;%PATH%;C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 14.0\Common7\IDE\Extensions\Microsoft\Web Tools\External\git
                    C:\Users\stolmie\.dnx\runtimes\dnx-clr-win-x86.1.0.0-rc1-update1\bin\dnu.cmd publish "C:\Docker\DockerTest\src\DockerTest" --out "C:\Users\stolmie\AppData\Local\Temp\PublishTemp\DockerTest52" --configuration Release --runtime dnx-coreclr-win-x64.1.0.0-rc1-update1 --quiet
                    Microsoft .NET Development Utility Clr-x86-1.0.0-rc1-16231
                    Copying to output path C:\Users\stolmie\AppData\Local\Temp\PublishTemp\DockerTest52
                    Time elapsed 00:00:01.5757964
                    C:\Program Files (x86)\MSBuild\Microsoft\VisualStudio\v14.0\Web\Microsoft.DNX.Publishing.targets(386,5): Error…

4 votes
                    Vote
                    Sign in
                    Check!
                    (thinking…)
                    Reset
                    or sign in with
                    • facebook
                    • google
                      Password icon
                      Signed in as (Sign out)
                    • Attach debugger to all w3wp processes, not just one

A multi-site/application cloud service (several Site or VirtualApplication elements in .csdef) means multiple IIS processes (w3wp.exe). They are typically started on demand which means one is started initially, and others on the first request to that site/application.

When running in the emulator, F5 only attaches the debugger to that first process... but not to the additional ones, as it should.

To debug a multi-site/application webrole correctly (i.e. to have the debugger attached to all appropriate processes), we have to develop a custom VSPackage which pings all URLs to start the additional processes, and then attaches the debugger to them... this…

3 votes
                      Vote
                      Sign in
                      Check!
                      (thinking…)
                      Reset
                      or sign in with
                      • facebook
                      • google
                        Password icon
                        Signed in as (Sign out)
                      • Add the Ability to Swap VIPs from within Visual Studio

I wish I could stay completely within the IDE (Visual Studio) to publish to a staging instance on Azure, and then do a VIP swap with the production instance. As it is right now, I have to open the Management Portal every time I want to do a VIP swap.

3 votes
                        Vote
                        Sign in
                        Check!
                        (thinking…)
                        Reset
                        or sign in with
                        • facebook
                        • google
                          Password icon
                          Signed in as (Sign out)
                        • Support for docker stack deploy

Docker support currently executes the following command after building containers:

docker-compose -f "slnroot\docker-compose.yml" -f "slnroot\docker-compose.override.yml" -f "slnroot\obj\Docker\docker-compose.vs.debug.g.yml" -p dockercompose14620923243451567273 --no-ansi up -d --no-build --force-recreate --remove-orphans

Could we have a new setting under
                          VS > Tools > Options > Container Tools
                          which allows us to switch to swarm mode, instead performing a `docker stack deploy` instead.
                          Thanks to the upcoming Kubernetes support in Docker for Windows (currently available on Edge), this would also integrate nicely out-of-the-box with Kubernetes if the user has configured it so.

3 votes
                          Vote
                          Sign in
                          Check!
                          (thinking…)
                          Reset
                          or sign in with
                          • facebook
                          • google
                            Password icon
                            Signed in as (Sign out)
                          • Use the URL debug settings of the ASP.NET application project

Dear Azure SDK Team,

This feature may seem really insignificant, but it's *essential* for being able to use a self-signed certificate during local debugging.

For example, I have my hosts file configured to redirect "x.mydomain.com" to 127.0.0.7, and I installed and registered a self-signed certificate for that domain with IIS Express, using the procedure outlined here:

http://www.hanselman.com/blog/WorkingWithSSLAtDevelopmentTimeIsEasierWithIISExpress.aspx

But that no longer works when I debug the web app as part of a cloud service. :(

3 votes
                            Vote
                            Sign in
                            Check!
                            (thinking…)
                            Reset
                            or sign in with
                            • facebook
                            • google
                              Password icon
                              Signed in as (Sign out)
                            • Opening a browser during debugging should be optional per role

I have a public web role and a private worker role in my cloud service. It would be nice if I had the option to configure which roles open a browser window during debugging of the cloud service project.

An alternative would be for the debugger to only open a browser window for each actual endpoint defined in the cloud service (again, per role), rather than for each web app that is launched (using IIS Express).

3 votes
                              Vote
                              Sign in
                              Check!
                              (thinking…)
                              Reset
                              or sign in with
                              • facebook
                              • google
                                Password icon
                                Signed in as (Sign out)
                              • Deploy-AzureResourceGroup.ps1 slow to upload artifacts

The Azure Resource Group project no longer uses AzCopy to upload artifacts to a storage blob container, but uses Set-AzureStorageBlobContent which is much much slower!

This has a big impact as we have many linked templates and may web deploy packages to upload.

1 vote
                                Vote
                                Sign in
                                Check!
                                (thinking…)
                                Reset
                                or sign in with
                                • facebook
                                • google
                                  Password icon
                                  Signed in as (Sign out)

Thanks, Anthony – we’ll take a look at options here. Our preference is not to put AZCopy back into all projects (though you could easily add in the interim) but to try to make the cmdlets faster – open to your thoughts on that…

• Allow the ability to add files "as link" into Role Content folders

I can't add a file 'as a link' to the role content folder of a Worker or Web role project. The drop down option, seen in this Stack Overflow answer, is not available:

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/13562875/azure-can-i-copy-to-output-directory-a-file-that-doesnt-reside-in-my-solution/13563821#13563821

Right now, we have configuration files that are needed to by a startup task (defined in ServiceDefinition.csdef) , that need to be included in all of our worker role solutions. Without being able to add that file as a link, we have separate copies of that same file across all of our worker role solutions, making these configuration files difficult to update. (Instead of updating one…

1 vote
                                  Vote
                                  Sign in
                                  Check!
                                  (thinking…)
                                  Reset
                                  or sign in with
                                  • facebook
                                  • google
                                    Password icon
                                    Signed in as (Sign out)
                                  • Exclamation mark is wrongly used

Publishing web/worker role shows exclamation mark during updating. It is "wrong" icon as it stands for "Warning" in Visual Studio. It would be good to replace it.

I recommend [cloud icon]+[build down-arrow icon] image instead.

1 vote
                                    Vote
                                    Sign in
                                    Check!
                                    (thinking…)
                                    Reset
                                    or sign in with
                                    • facebook
                                    • google
                                      Password icon
                                      Signed in as (Sign out)
                                    • Enable "Show all files" for cloud service projects (*.ccproj)

Visual Studio has a "Show All Files" feature that makes it much easier to include an existing directory structure of files into a project, as seen in this msdn blog post:

https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/benwilli/2015/05/21/visual-studio-tip-8-adding-existing-files-with-show-all-files/

This feature is not currently available for cloud service projects (*.ccproj). I would like to be able to use this feature to make it easier to add an existing directory structure of files under my Web/Worker role project's Role Content folders.

1 vote
                                      Vote
                                      Sign in
                                      Check!
                                      (thinking…)
                                      Reset
                                      or sign in with
                                      • facebook
                                      • google
                                        Password icon
                                        Signed in as (Sign out)
                                      • Docker tools fails with proxy error

Hi there,

I am trying out the docker tools for VS2015 but my very simple test fails at the PrepareForLaunch build task due to a Proxy error.

I didn't know what URL it is trying to call (or why as I just want to test this locally) and presume the proxy needs to be set somewhere...

Here is the stack trace:

Severity Code Description Project File Line Suppression State
                                        Error MSB4018 The "PrepareForLaunch" task failed unexpectedly.
                                        System.Net.Http.HttpRequestException: An error occurred while sending the request. ---> System.Net.WebException: The remote server returned an error: (407) Proxy Authentication Required.
                                        at System.Net.HttpWebRequest.EndGetResponse(IAsyncResult asyncResult)
                                        at…

1 vote
                                        Vote
                                        Sign in
                                        Check!
                                        (thinking…)
                                        Reset
                                        or sign in with
                                        • facebook
                                        • google
                                          Password icon
                                          Signed in as (Sign out)
                                        • Don't see your idea?

SDK and Tools

Feedback and Knowledge Base