How can we improve Azure Signup and Billing?

Spending Limit or Maximum Cost CAP for Azure

As a customer, I really care about Spending Limit or Spending CAP feature of Azure.

How does Azure prevent some evil attack to my Azure sites causing charge a large billing of Credit Card?

For example, it should automatically shut off or temporary disable my site when a certain dollar amount has been reached.

Is this feature in the RoadMap of Azure?

Or is there anyway to control my maximum Spending Limit of Azure?

Thanks.

2,740 votes
Vote
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Microsoft
Signed in as (Sign out)
You have left! (?) (thinking…)
Mike shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
planned  ·  AdminAzure Billing Team (Admin, Microsoft Azure) responded  · 

Quick update,

We have been considering all of the risks and investigating the steps required to ensure we implement this feature with high positive impact and low to no negative impact.

After this investigation we have decided we will enable Pay-As-You-Go customers the option to configure a spending limit on a Pay-As-You-Go subscription, with appropriate safeguards and measures to prevent both service abuse and production service failure.

We have not yet finished determining the details of what this feature will look like, nor do we have a timeline for release, but we have heard your voices and have added this feature to our backlog.

Thanks for your continued feedback,

-Adam (Azure Billing Team)

166 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Microsoft
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Dany commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It's really strange and unbelievable that there IS a spending limit functionality in MSDN benefits but not in the standard Pay-As-You-Go offer. How can I budget my subscriptions without this functionality?
    We're forced to give a credit card, and there's no way to cap the cost..
    Yes, the new billing alerts functionality helps, but it's absolutely not a replacement.

• Dirk Boer commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yeah, please copy paste this somewhere in your codebase:

if ( CurrentBill >= Account.SpendingLimit )
    {
    Account.Suspend(); Account.SendNotificationMail()
    }

The lack of this feature is absolutely ridiculous. Usually I'm a big Microsoft and Azure fan, but this is completely unsellable. I can't get rid of the feeling that this was a deliberate trap to make some extra money by companies that are paying less attention.

• just part of the crowd commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is ridiculous.

I understand that it's a companies responsibility to keep track of spending, but most of the spending is incurred by technical staff, while the billing is paid for someone else. Often there is a huge lack between the time a credit card statement is received and then processed by accounts, by which time the spending may have been huge.

If it's a service where you have to be checking your spending amount daily, then that is not a good service over the long term. It is not sustainable, and it will undo the good will created by technical team in offering what is fairly decent cloud solution.

• Anon commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Azure is great for new students and developers, and will help you learn faster!*

*because you sure as **** will think twice before leaving your vm running debug code for a few days again.

• Nicholas Meyer commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Right now, all that you can buy is a subscription with a minimum of $500 a month. Most individuals can't afford this for themselves, and as there is no limit on the pay-as-you-go, it is quite risky.

I propose plans. Like the free trial gives you a certain amount of stuff, then shuts off when you reach the limit. I suggest something like this, except ranging in price, so from like $10 a month for a 'personal' plan, then something insane like $100,000 a month for a 'Enterprise' plan.

• Greg Lincoln commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It is mind-boggling to me that this wasn't implemented from the start. How can anyone feel secure using Azure with out the ability to set some kind of limit on total charges, especially when experimenting?

• Wynand Pieterse commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I also agree with this, it would be nice to know that you can budget for the service each month, rather than having to constantly log into the azure portal to see if you are busy overspending it.

• Marius commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Have MSDN subscription with monthly usage. Just had a test with Reporting service (one server instance created) and left it on after using it. I have now ~130EUR bill charge. It's completely insane not being able to cap usage if we want. These are not production accounts, so we should be able to master the charge there. Also, how it is possible not to to be able to set usage limit alerts?

• Andy Kerr commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Very, very important feature. I'm a test manager, and while I need to ensure we can test Azure functionality thoroughly, I also have a hard cap on my budget. Please, Microsoft, put a spending cap limit in place, and I don't mean your $0 amount on the MSDN subscription!

• Jeff commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Subscribers need the ability to cap monthly spend to prevent unexpected overages. When the cap is nearing, the owner should be notified with the option of temporarily increasing the cap. If the cap is not increased, the VMs or web sites should be disabled (NOT DELETED) until the beginning of the next billing cycle.

• Peeyush Singh commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Ditto on this feature. It makes selling Azure as the hosting service to my clients much easier for me, as most of them want at least some level of certainty with regards to billing.

Even if it's something that simply alerts administrator(s) of the account, that would be a good start. An example would be the Azure platform automatically sending an account alert when it's set to predefined percentage thresholds for bandwidth, compute time, etc. That way we, the customers, can be reactive rather than proactive. If a client gets a surprise bill, it becomes much harder to sell further accounts in the future.

Ideally, the service would be suspended or even possibly degraded when it hits certain usage triggers.

• Adam commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

DDOS attacks will use incoming data, outgoing data will normally be limited to http error messages until the server is overloaded to the point it can't respond at all.

Are you expecting a DDOS attack?

Incoming data isn't chargeable.

• owen15 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Feature suggestions for spending limit:

Provide N-Tier max spending limited triggers to auto scale up and down.

For instance, in a month,
    when it reaches 100$, it should auto scale down to some lever to reduce the fee, and notify the account owner.
    when it reaches 200$, it should auto scale down to some free level or disable the Website or VM, and notify the account owner.

• nerdsharp commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I strongly suggest microsoft azure team to implement this feature as soon as possible.

I want to deploy my new website on Azure, but I don't want to be in the fear of unexpected billing of my credit card.

This feature is a safe mechanism for the customers.

• johnson commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It is a must requested feature expecially for those who are considering moving their websites from a web-hosting provider to windows azure.
    But there is no any information whether this feature will be available.

Feedback and Knowledge Base