How can we improve Azure Signup and Billing?

Spending Limit or Maximum Cost CAP for Azure

As a customer, I really care about Spending Limit or Spending CAP feature of Azure.

How does Azure prevent some evil attack to my Azure sites causing charge a large billing of Credit Card?

For example, it should automatically shut off or temporary disable my site when a certain dollar amount has been reached.

Is this feature in the RoadMap of Azure?

Or is there anyway to control my maximum Spending Limit of Azure?

Thanks.

2,740 votes
Vote
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Microsoft
Signed in as (Sign out)
You have left! (?) (thinking…)
Mike shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
planned  ·  AdminAzure Billing Team (Admin, Microsoft Azure) responded  · 

Quick update,

We have been considering all of the risks and investigating the steps required to ensure we implement this feature with high positive impact and low to no negative impact.

After this investigation we have decided we will enable Pay-As-You-Go customers the option to configure a spending limit on a Pay-As-You-Go subscription, with appropriate safeguards and measures to prevent both service abuse and production service failure.

We have not yet finished determining the details of what this feature will look like, nor do we have a timeline for release, but we have heard your voices and have added this feature to our backlog.

Thanks for your continued feedback,

-Adam (Azure Billing Team)

166 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Microsoft
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Prodcut Team: I'm curious if there is any further update on this spend-cap feature being made available to Pay-as-you-Go subscriptions, or in fact other types of subscriptions such as EA?

More and more customers are becoming concerned with this lack of spending control within their Azure tenants.

Thanks,
    Mick

I work in a large financial institution and we are considering to out-source our risk calculations to Azure or similar services to take advantage of the scaling provided by such service. Scaling to the magnitude of 1000+ cores in a calculation is not really feasible to do in-house as the infrastructure would be idling too often. However, there is no way that the senior management would consider signing up for a service with no explicitly defined spending limit. Even the the prepaid service is automatically converted into a pay-as-you-go when the prepaid amount is spend. We will need as predefined ultimate hard spending limit in order to consider Azure. Indirectly defining such a limit in terms of maximum number of cores is not sufficient and is also impractical.

• Jonathan Toolan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I want to make sure I don't overspend, and that is more important to me than perpetual uptime. I want to be able to apply a monetary quota per month over which I will be unable to spend any more money.

This will protect me from misconfiguration on my part, bad-actors getting a storage key and downloading ridiculous amounts of data, and other chargeable situations ruining me financially.

FACEBOOK AD AGENCY ACCOUNT FOR RENT
    You run traffic, replica ads and locked accounts?
    You are need for facebook ad account running advertisement?
    You want to increase sales, but your ad account is limited?
    Your ad account can’t spend money?
    Your advesting account trust is limited?
    You meet account problems or need technical supports but you don’t know who or how to contact with ?
    ………………………………………….. ……………………….
    I can help you on the FB acc problem
    Let’s talk me on Skype: namhoang1302

• F Hansen commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

So in your "backlog" - not just for billing - but for Azure in general, this one should be among the top5 priorities for next "sprint".

Since this one is probably, if not the most important, among the top 5 important life-shortening issues for Azure. Directly preventing growth.

Ex. As already stated a similar problem not getting the priorities right killed off Sharepoints future as the CMS for all in 2002 (where basic editorial CMS components only made it into the Enterprise release - what a weirdo non-compliant CMS packaging for all others than Enterprise by MS product management)

Thus this the most important feature to complete in context with business value.

Put the Cap in now. The sooner, the faster the adoptation rate will start to evolve. The later, the faster approach to EOL for Azure, especially Pay-As-You-Go - except for some Enterprises.

BTW What a nice execution on that target ... updated status to planned 8 months ago.

Cuttig edge or "just" state-of-the-art IT is competition, not the public sector :o) In that sense a status of planned is purely an internal matter, externally that still just translates into not executed for some reason. I.e. internal resistance, super slow etc.

In Microsoft a new release of Windows can be completed in shorter time than this - unless MS is now a bureaucracy like the public sector.

This is without any doubt in my mind the basic main showstopper preventing Axure from growing.

A similar thing prevented Sharepoint around 2002 to grow into what could have been Wordpress (i.e. leaving important features for non-enterprise interests, i.e. removing basic CMS components)

This must be the 20th time I take a concrete look of where Microsoft is since 2009.

The lacking cap on pay-as-go ... has been an issue since incubation of Azure. This is a basic show stopper for adopting Azure. Since most will continue with Pay-As-You-Go after trial or free.

This is the main showstopper preventing Axure from growing.

Only a few will allow for a theorectical risks where Microsoft can claim serious big money if something goes wrong.

• skander guetari commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

idea is not to be charged more than a certain amount if we miss use azure and not to activate billable options if the purpose is just for testing for instance.

• Bart Bories commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Any updates on this? Even a timeframe when this will be release would be helpful.

I am starting a new (hobby)project now and I would like to use Azure, but not if I'm not sure if this will get implemented.

This is a must have option. Right now our accounts are exposed to potentially high billings. What if my account is hacked? Hacker could easily cause thousands of euros in damage.

• jean-marc commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I am a developer and try to connect IoT to Azure. I ended up by not succeeding yet and having to pay for a service which I do not even use. Also no way to understand clearly what was building up in my bill. Found lots of problems to disable and delete services, having errors and no info about the errors.
    In other clouds company it is more evident the facts that something will cost if activated. In Azure you never know.
    We need a way to have a threshold to our bill to lock if spend more than decided this to avoid any surprises.

• Stanislav Prikhodko commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Currently there is no way you can setup a spending limit on Windows Azure Account for non-trial accounts. You can not set Windows Azure to use under or equal a certain cap amount. I saw many people complaining that they were "accidentally" charged for thousands of dollars by paying with features that they were not fluent with.

Please allow users to set a cap (spending limit), for example, DO NOT CHARGE ME MORE THAN $200 per month.

Ideally it would be nice to set cap (spending limit) for each resource group.

• Cameron commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I agree with the comments of Anonymous on 27 November. This feature should be given a high priority. It would substantially improve developers comfort in using this service. It appears to be a very good service but I'll only use it if I feel the risk of substantial financial loss through it's use has been removed.

Spending limit for Pay-As-You-Go is a deal breaker for me to...

Using a personal account as so many other IT professionals to learn and test the Azure platform.
    Sure I am not a big customer but as a consultant I influence both small and large companies on their cloud strategies.

Why is this taking so long to implement?

• Stu commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

+1 ...I will begin using Azure for basic VMs along with off-site web app dev once pay-as-you-go Spending Limits are in effect.

• Michael Shire commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I have internal approval to build services on azure as a lab environment, "up to $***" per month. I would like to be able to set that per month spending limit on my azure subscription. The function is possible, as most of the free azure subscriptions (MSDN for example) have these limits built in. Microsoft just needs to expose this as a user-configurable parameter.

• Adam commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It is very necessary that the there is an ability to set a subscription account spending limit/cap to avoid getting an unintended 1,000 plus bill. I'd much rather avoid having a heart attack.

Hopefully others would agree.

Feedback and Knowledge Base